Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X
Notices

Old 08-22-2022, 08:00 AM   #1
iBanks
Registered

In hopes of updates to come, some issues I am seeing in 2022

Hey all, I do realize this amazing software may not have had any recent updates over some time now but I would like to post my experiences as a new purchaser with hopes that updates may happen to come about some day. I am running a Mac Mini with MacOS Monterey and MacOS Ventura beta and I am experiencing the same issues on both. I noticed the posts related to Mojave and Catalina but nothing afterwards so here are my experiences.

- I am able to use the software as my screensaver and though the settings appears to save, the option for the Crystal isn't being acknowledged when selecting a custom logo. The logo saves but only the Marine Aquarium logo displays.
- If I use the software in app mode, in version 3.2 the custom logo for the Crystal does display but in version 3.3, it does not. Online the Marine Aquarium logo is displayed.
- Application mode only exits full screen when using CMD+Q even if the option "Exit full screen on mouse move" is selected.
- In full screen mode for app mode or when in screen saver mode, the camera does not pan the aquarium.
- In full screen mode on my ultra wide display (49" 32:9 aspect ration) part of the rock bed is missing.
iBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:39 AM   #2
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Given that this SS is ancient in software terms.. and that every new version of Apple OS kills many older programs.. it's a wonder that SS works at all.

Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 – 1951)
The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:44 AM   #3
iBanks
Registered

Originally posted by Ralph:
Given that this SS is ancient in software terms.. and that every new version of Apple OS kills many older programs.. it's a wonder that SS works at all.  
To my surprise, it functions pretty well especially as a screensaver in which I figured wasn’t going to function due to the warnings that it can’t be used as a screensaver anymore after I think it was Catalina. Works great on my M1 Mac Mini outside of the few hiccups I’ve mentioned. I wonder if this is possible due to the architecture of the M1 processor, kinda how that processor has also allowed for iPhone apps to run on the Mac.
Old 08-25-2022, 01:19 PM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

I don't have a Mac, but it looks like Apple might have changed the OS so that the viewing frustum of 3D environments is slightly different. The camera seems to be able to display a little area past the end of the "ground". As Ralph said, it's kind of surprising that it works at all, since the Mac version of the Aquarium uses OpenGL, and Apple hasn't officially supported that in years. They want all developers to re-write their programs in Metal.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 06:35 AM   #5
iBanks
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
I don't have a Mac, but it looks like Apple might have changed the OS so that the viewing frustum of 3D environments is slightly different. The camera seems to be able to display a little area past the end of the "ground". As Ralph said, it's kind of surprising that it works at all, since the Mac version of the Aquarium uses OpenGL, and Apple hasn't officially supported that in years. They want all developers to re-write their programs in Metal.  
I believe it to be a good thing that it's working but I wonder if this benefit is due to the M1 architecture or if it is able to run on the Intel Macs as well. Guess we really won't know unless someone with an Intel Mac can test.

Is the want of developers to re-write in Metal just that, a want or are they requiring it? I think it looks great as it is but the panning and cut off of the rock bed when in full screen, I can live with but I'm more so wondering if there aren't going to be any further updates pushed, is there like a .plist file we can modify to get the settings to save for the Crystal? I would love for the custom image to be visible in the screen saver mode but the setting doesn't stick for some reason but works fine in app mode on v3.2. The camera pan does work in window mode, just not in FS mode, where technically the pan is probably canceled out due to the entire aquarium being visible on such a large monitor as I have which is fine.
Old 09-18-2022, 08:55 AM   #6
Lopertan
Registered

It works fine with the last iOS update as well.
Lopertan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 12:01 AM   #7
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks for the info.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-01-2022, 11:05 AM   #8
ERuss21
Registered

so does this work with macOS Ventura?

From the posts on this thread it sounds like people are having luck setting this as a screensaver on newer OS's? When I go to my screensavers in my system settings I can't figure out how to get SereneScreen to show up as an option.
ERuss21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:04 AM   #9
ERuss21
Registered

iBanks, how did you manage to get it used as a screensaver again? I have a new M2 MacBook Air running macOS Ventura and can't seem to get it to function as one.
ERuss21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 01:05 PM   #10
iBanks
Registered

Originally posted by ERuss21:
iBanks, how did you manage to get it used as a screensaver again? I have a new M2 MacBook Air running macOS Ventura and can't seem to get it to function as one.  
I displays as an option for me in Settings on my M1 Mac Mini.

Old 12-03-2022, 07:35 AM   #11
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

macOS Ventura has problems with a number of programs.. "perhaps" Jim's SS has finally met it's match. Apple operating systems have a long history of incompatibility with other software.

The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:47 AM   #12
iBanks
Registered

macOS Ventura has problems with a number of programs.. "perhaps" Jim's SS has finally met it's match. Apple operating systems have a long history of incompatibility with other software.  
I’m using Ventura 13.1 Beta (22C5059b) and it works for me outside the cutoff of the sand bed on the right side as pictured in my previous comment and the image in the glass rock not changing to any custom images I set. It has worked all along on Ventura for me outside of those two issues.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:14 AM   #13
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Originally posted by iBanks:
I’m using Ventura 13.1 Beta (22C5059b) and it works for me<snip>  
Good to know, I am putting off updating to Ventura until I hear they have fixed the Mozilla SeaMonkey software. My wife's life is on the email portion of SeaMonkey and I would be in deep doo-doo if I messed that up.

Old 12-06-2022, 10:51 AM   #14
uczmeg
Registered

Running fine here on Ventura as a screen saver for me (not tried the logo or app mode).

Can't believe how well it runs on my base spec 14" Pro (M1 Pro). I have it on the Mac screen and a 34" Ultrawide at the same time, 20 random fish on each and the laptop doesn't bat an eye, the fans don't even kick in.

I know it's well beyond the spec that the screen saver was developed on but so was my 2016 top spec intel 13" MBP and it would go into meltdown trying to do similar (and a lot less).

No cutoff on the ultrawide, but the one pictured above looks REALLY wide!
uczmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:05 AM   #15
iBanks
Registered

Originally posted by uczmeg:
Running fine here on Ventura as a screen saver for me (not tried the logo or app mode).

Can't believe how well it runs on my base spec 14" Pro (M1 Pro). I have it on the Mac screen and a 34" Ultrawide at the same time, 20 random fish on each and the laptop doesn't bat an eye, the fans don't even kick in.

I know it's well beyond the spec that the screen saver was developed on but so was my 2016 top spec intel 13" MBP and it would go into meltdown trying to do similar (and a lot less).

Yes it’s incredibly smooth on my M1 Mac Mini as well and very minimal on CPU usage.

My monitor is a Super Ultrawide at 49in Wide for the screen set at 5120x1440.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:14 AM   #16
uczmeg
Registered

Originally posted by iBanks:
My monitor is a Super Ultrawide at 49in Wide for the screen set at 5120x1440.  
Crazy!

I think it explains the cut-off/panning issue. Your desktop is wider than the aquarium!

When this was made I'm guessing a large desktop was 1024 wide and dual screens were rare, so the background size was more than enough. You're at 5 screens wide and I don't think anyone expected that back then.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:25 AM   #17
iBanks
Registered

Crazy!

I think it explains the cut-off/panning issue. Your desktop is wider than the aquarium!

When this was made I'm guessing a large desktop was 1024 wide and dual screens were rare, so the background size was more than enough. You're at 5 screens wide and I don't think anyone expected that back then.  
I definitely don’t disagree. Interesting enough it’s just the sand bed. The background and the fish seems to expand past that point.

Old 12-12-2022, 02:40 PM   #18
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yep, you have gone off the edge of the world.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-13-2022, 04:32 AM   #19
uczmeg
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Yep, you have gone off the edge of the world.  
What an incredible lack of foresight Jim! Surely you should have planned for a full 360 VR-compatible tank when you designed it?

Old 12-21-2022, 07:21 PM   #20
Jim Sachs
Developer

Well, I just estimated how many pixels would be needed in the distant future, and doubled it.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X