Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 06-29-2006, 05:08 PM   #1
pent7301
Registered

Plus Version vs. Retail - Auto Lights Work Differently

Hello,

The automatic lights option on the free plus version seems to primarily dim the foreground lights creating a realistic dark shadow over the entire aquarium (reminds me of an underwater transition to night if you were scuba diving).

However, the automatic lights option on the retail version 2.01 seems to primarily dim the background lights creating an unrealistic lighting condition (my opinion) where the background turns black and the fish look extra bright because of the contrasting background (reminds me of a fish aquarium with an oversized bulb in the lighting cover). Also, the latest version 2.6 works this way as well (tested the demo).

I would really like to find a way to get the retail version(s) to work like the free plus versions; however, it appears the automatic lights option is simply on or off. Is there any way this can be done or am I just missing something in the options?

Thanks in advance for your responses,

pent7301
pent7301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:49 PM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

The foreground and background lights dim alternately with Automatic Lights turned on (starting with the background lights).
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:26 AM   #3
pent7301
Registered

Jim,

Dummy me! I didn't wait past the first cycle; however, since you pointed out the alternate cycle feature, I like it better than the plus version.... not to mention all of the beautiful optional fish that can be added.

Many thanks,

pent7301
pent7301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:51 PM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

Ha, ha - no, you're not a dummy. If the "Delay" slider is set far to the right, the cycling of AutoLights can take a very long time. I don't use it myself, but sometimes when I see it in stores I wonder if it's ever going to change.

There actually are some inherent differences between the normal and the old Plus Pack versions. The normal one has always used DirectX 6, for maximum compatibility, while I wrote the Plus Pack version in DirectX 8, because Microsoft insisted on it. A couple of differences: The tiny Preview window in Display Properties is "live" in the DX8 version. The DX6 version works with 3D shutter glasses, while MS removed support for this in DX8. (Rumor has it that it's back in DX9).
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive