Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 12-01-2004, 01:50 AM   #101
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

I wonder if it's some U.K. specialty with the "2th" as written in #8. How do I pronounce that?
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 02:09 AM   #102
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

ROLF!! !! !! !! Just the chuckle I needed at this hour. Thanks, Tiny.
Surferminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:01 AM   #103
cjmaddy
Registered

Ah! ... you mean No. 8, .......... you need a sense of humour.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:34 AM   #104
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Actually I mean nr. 8. I'm Scandinavian – I dont need a sense of humour...

/Tiny Svede
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:39 AM   #105
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Tiny,

Anyone that lives where it is only daylight ~6 hours a day and freezing cold to boot part of the time definately needs a sense of humor.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:54 AM   #106
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

No you don't. You just smile a lot just before it freezes and then your face gets stuck like that for four months...

Up where I did my military service someone said they only have two seasons – winter and August. Immediately someone else corrected him and said it was winter and August 15th (guess that's August 15st to Cliff )

Tiny Temps

Old 12-01-2004, 11:26 AM   #107
Michael Babin
Mac Development

Originally posted by jleslie
...your mileage may vary (as the Americans tend to say).
What a great way to win friends and influence people. Almost as bad as that idiotic letter-writing campaign to try to tell voters in an Ohio county how they should vote.

- Michael
Michael Babin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 01:06 PM   #108
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I thought it was hilarious when I saw it shortly after America went through Indecision 2000.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:26 AM   #109
jleslie
Engineer

I thought it was funny, but also a pocket guide to some of the differences between English and American.

I certainly didn't imagine anyone would really be offended, so if anyone doesn't have their tongue in their cheek please do remember it's a joke!

...and why is everyone ignoring the Pulsing Xenia comment - this is an aquarium forum after all! I'll try to shoot some video to explain what I'm on about.
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:59 AM   #110
Jim Sachs
Developer

Sure, it's funny - and we do love you Brits for sticking by us even when we're wrong - but this one cuts pretty close to the Forum's "no political comments" rule. With this country more deeply divided than it's been since the Civil War, nerves are raw and tempers are short.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:59 AM   #111
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

Hi Leslie -- Thank you for your link. I am also of this country and I do not feel divided and my nerves are not raw nor my temper short nor are those of many with whom I associate. I did very much appreciate the humor contained in the paper and had to sit on myself not to retort (humourously of course) to the comments contained therein (thank you Tiny and Jav for your short but succinct responses). I have passed your paper on to a few others who also got a chuckle. I hope you continue to post in our forum on this and many of our other threads as poor Cliff is almost singlehanded representing your small isle. And, I also liked seeing the "minor" differences between our 2 cultures laid out so funnily which was the first flag that went up when I read this.

Minn

Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes.

Old 12-02-2004, 01:38 PM   #112
cjmaddy
Registered

Hear hear! ... and thanks!
Old 12-03-2004, 02:28 AM   #113
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

"Small isle"? I thought it was "Great Britain"

Old 12-03-2004, 03:10 AM   #114
jleslie
Engineer

That probably refers to population density. We have about 20.5% of the US population in 2.5% the area. I wonder if someone lost a decimal point somewhere when they planned all this?
(60M vs 293M in 244K vs 9.6M, or "slightly smaller than oregon" as a U.S. source says, but hey, we like it - except the commuting, of course!)
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:38 AM   #115
cjmaddy
Registered

Just think, 'Planet of the Apes', - that brings them back down to size!
Old 12-03-2004, 04:19 AM   #116
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Population densities in a readable form:

The Netherlands: 385.3 people/km²
Great Britain: 245.1 people/km²
Denmark: 125.3 people/km²
The United States of America: 29.5 people/km²
Sweden: 19.8 people/km²
New Zeeland: 14.4 people/km²
Canada 3.1 people/km²
Australia: 2.5 people/km²

/Tiny Statistics

Old 12-03-2004, 04:38 AM   #117
cjmaddy
Registered

That makes us very dense doesn't it!. ................. (Before anyone else says it!)
Old 12-03-2004, 06:29 AM   #118
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Jav looks away and bites his tongue, erm, clasps his hand together so he can't type anymore?
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:44 AM   #119
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

Oh dear, oh dear, Surferminn begins to type (.... even China recognized population control issues notwithstanding their greater land mass, but then again, they didn't have Henry the VIII as a role model... ) but decides instead to take her hands off the keyboard and step away from the machine.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:32 AM   #120
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

China have a population density of 133.5 people/km² in a country roughly the size of the U.S. (9.6 million km² vs 9.1 million km²). Slightly more people over there...

Other interesting countries:
Japan has 336 people/km² That's about half the population of the U.S. in a country slightly smaller than California. (Compare it to Sweden which is slightly larger and just passed 9 million...)

India has 313.9 people/km², but since it's roughly a third the size of the U.S. the population has reached 1.015 billion!

/Tiny Three's a Crowd

Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive