Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 05-18-2003, 12:04 AM   #1
WILLYPR
Registered

AutoCad 2000

I installed AutoCad2000 in my computer and all the shortcuts for Aquarium don't work. I can use Aquarium only if I selected as a screen saver. Does anyone now why?
WILLYPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 02:16 AM   #2
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Look Here https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...=&threadid=455
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 02:26 AM   #3
Jim Sachs
Developer

The short answer is that Autocad takes over the ".scr" extension which Microsoft forces all screensavers to use. You can rename a copy of the Aquarium something like "Aquarium.exe", and you will have a version that you can double-click to start.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 04:55 AM   #4
Socrates
Sage

The dumb part is Auto Desk should know better than to hijack what amounts to a system extension.

It would be like installing a program that hijacks the .exe .com or .txt extensions. They are clearly defined way in advance, and there is no reason to do it.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 08:54 AM   #5
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

I am not so sure it is not the other way around. Not to defend Auto Desk but they were making Auto Cad with script files back in the DOS days. Long before MS stole the GUI interface idea from Apple / Mac.
MS is not known for considering "other" applications extensions.

Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 – 1951)
The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for.

Last edited by Ralph; 05-18-2003 at 07:22 PM.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 10:55 AM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Which was after Apple stole the GUI from Xerox/PARC.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 03:54 PM   #7
WILLYPR
Registered

Angry

Thank you all for your help....

I also have problem with the request of the new code for Aquarium2. But, I already report it by e-mail. I hope I get a reply soon.

Thanks again!
Old 05-18-2003, 04:32 PM   #8
WILLYPR
Registered

I downloaded the Feldon program to fix the register and it worked in my xp home edition.

Thanks Feldon....
Willy
Old 05-18-2003, 11:10 PM   #9
Socrates
Sage

Originally posted by Ralph
I am not so sure it is not the other way around. Not to defend Auto Desk but they were making Auto Cad with script files back in the DOS days. Long before MS stole the GUI interface idea from Apple / Mac.
MS is not known for considering "other" applications extensions.
The question to me is did they make their first version to run on Windows before or after Microsoft designated the .scr as a screen saver.

How odd to build a new program version for a new operating system and adapt the program to the new operating systems methods of talking to hardware, using the clipboard, talking to printers, etc. but then refusing to accept that a file extension of all things is being used by something special in the OS.

That is just weird, and seriously, it would have been pretty easy to make the transition a long time ago, IMO, especially when compared to the other things that had to be done for the program to be entirely built for a new operating system.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:46 PM   #10
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Originally posted by Socrates
The question to me is did they make their first version to run on Windows before or after Microsoft designated the .scr as a screen saver.
Interesting history question, I really don't know. I first got involved with Auto Cad version 12, which was the last DOS version. Auto Cad 13 came in a dual mode (I think) that worked (poorly) with Windows for WorkGroups v3.11. Was there a screen saver in Windows 3.1? Again, just my guess, but I suspect the scr extension was in use by more than just Auto Cad. Scripts were "the" tool to customize those early programs.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:28 AM   #11
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

I did a bit of searching this morning on file extensions with the hope of finding some definitive dating. Unfortunately could find nothing as to which came first. I did find that lots of applications currently use the "SCR" extension. Here are some links and information on which programs use a file extension of SCR. In all my findings I never did find Auto Cad listed as a user.

http://www.research.deakin.edu.au/ja..._world.htm#a19
SCR Screensaver file (Microsoft Windows 9.x) SCR Fax image (Generic) SCR Debug source code (DOS Debug) SCR Screen snapshot file (dBase IV) SCR Screen snapshot file (Procomm Plus) SCR Screen font file (LocoScript)
From http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=SCR
It mentions 12 instances where the extension SCR is used. And when discussing the "script" catagory I quote "Various programs use this extension; too many to list individually".

But, it is "only" a problem because Auto Desk makes a global association to the extension. For that they are showing their arrogance.

Just my 2 cents.... and I may be wrong.

Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 – 1951)
The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:03 PM   #12
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I did a similar search but was flummoxed from finding any useful results.

I had a radical idea and figured out what the .SCR Autocad files are used for. They are macros or SCRipt files. Searching on that, I found...

http://www.upfrontezine.com/tailor/tailor19.htm

.SCR was first used by Autocad 1.3 in 1983. So they beat Windows 95 by about 11 years.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 05-19-2003, 06:20 PM   #13
Jim Sachs
Developer

I have no problem with Autocad USING an .scr extension for their script files. Other apps also do, but nobody else takes over the extension on a system-wide basis.

And double-clicking doesn't even bring up their own program, but attempts to launch a word processor.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 09:19 PM   #14
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I agree with you.

If they aren't going to do anything useful with the file, they shouldn't register .scr as "their" extension to be handled always by AutoCAD.

Honestly, Windows should come with a hotfix to deal with AutoCAD's "bug".

I like programs like Winamp and ACDSee which give me the full flexibility to grant them zero, some, or all control over sound and image file formats (respectively).
Old 05-20-2003, 12:27 PM   #15
Socrates
Sage

Originally posted by feldon27

I like programs like Winamp and ACDSee which give me the full flexibility to grant them zero, some, or all control over sound and image file formats (respectively).
Every program should have that in it.

Even Narcissistic Microsoft has that in Media Player.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive