Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 09-27-2001, 08:14 PM   #1
thebard
Copperband Butterfly

Windows 98 support

The nimda virus thread/patches thread broght this to mind. If you run Win 2000 or Win NT w/station, MS will run a security scan on yr system & advise what sec. patches you need. With Win98 you're out of luck.
From June 2003, 18 mths time, MS withdraws any support for Win 98, not that there's much now. Win 95 support ends in Jan 2002.
The message looks like - upgrade or be damned. I'm looking at Linux, this MS arrogance is getting me down[though I'm pleased that Jim's Aquarium be on XP]
Anyway, I thought you Win98 users should be aware of this.
thebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 10:29 PM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: Windows 98 support

I get any kind of notification on my Windows 2000 that I should install the patch. I was vulnerable until I saw Jim's e-mail and read up on the virus and patched myself. Maybe I forgot to turn one one of those memory and resource-intensive "automatic" programs that keeps tabs on my system.

And Windows 2000 + XP are not for everyone. They require a fairly recent motherboard, latest BIOS, and latest motherboard.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 12:29 PM   #3
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

"They require a fairly recent motherboard, latest BIOS, and latest motherboard."

With regards to XP, how recent? 1/2 year? 1 year? or ??? I'm not as concerned for me as I am for my wife. I'm building a brand new system, so I'll be fine, but I bought her a Qrium Concept PC last year. While it's a fairly up to date system, I'd still like to know where it stands because I would like to install XP on it.

If you've never heard of or seen the Qrium line of Concept PCs, go here:

www.daewootelecom.com/products/item/itemCom.asp?from=computer&itemid=72&itemSectid=77& sectid=77

- DL
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 01:49 PM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

2 years, except for the RAM, which should ideally be 128MB or more. It comes with ME, so I would think it would do 2000 ok. The biggest question is RAM and motherboard BIOS upgrade availability.

2000 and XP are very wasteful of RAM, but with a lot of ram, run much smoother than 98/ME no matter how much RAM you add to those OSes.

Since 256MB of RAM costs about 20 Big Macs (or 40 Whoppers), I'd get a stick.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 02:05 PM   #5
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Well actually, the specs they list there don't clarify that this system comes in several different configurations. The one we have came as a:

Celeron 533MHz
64MB Ram
Win98SE

It's a legacy free PC (USB only) with little to no ability to upgrade internally. After thoroughly researching it though, I believe I can at the very least upgrade it's CPU to a PIII since the Celeron and PIII use the same socket setup. I might be able to upgrade the ram as well.

Unfortunely the graphics, audio, and networking are all on-board. That's ok though, for what this PC is being used for, just upgrading the ram and cpu is more than enough for years to come. As long as I can install XP, then that should do it.

- DL
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 09:23 AM   #6
timmr
Registered

DL,

I'd be interested in your experience. I have the CD663N which came with a PIII CPU. I just finally took the puppy apart to increase the original 128MB RAM to 256MB. Not the most fun I've had. (Tech support specified RAM from Crucial [quality RAM is never a bad idea!]) Crucial didn't have 512MB SODIMMS, or I would have probably gone higher.

I intend to play with Windows ME and XP, and a Linux flavor as soon as one of my other boxes is available as my daily toy. I'm thinking of using the Qrium as a server because it is so limited as a game machine. (Don't ask what a middle aged disabled guy is doing with "Return to Castle Wolfenstein <VBG>).

I hadn't thought to check on CPU upgrades....

Now if I could only think of something useful to do with the old 128MB SODIMM....
timmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 03:14 AM   #7
Socrates
Sage

Re: Re: Windows 98 support

Originally posted by Digital Lungfish
"They require a fairly recent motherboard, latest BIOS, and latest motherboard."

With regards to XP, how recent? 1/2 year? 1 year? or ??? I'm not as concerned for me as I am for my wife. I'm building a brand new system, so I'll be fine, but I bought her a Qrium Concept PC last year. While it's a fairly up to date system, I'd still like to know where it stands because I would like to install XP on it.

If you've never heard of or seen the Qrium line of Concept PCs, go here:

www.daewootelecom.com/products/item/itemCom.asp?from=computer&itemid=72&itemSectid=77& sectid=77

- DL
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...ng/advisor.asp
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive