Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium
Notices

Old 02-13-2004, 01:00 PM   #1
PacoGringo
Registered

Need all I can learn about Afr. Lungfish

I've got an African Lungfish and I'd love to know all I can about him. We currently have him in a 29 gallon tank and are getting ready to move him into a 55 gallon tank (which is more wide than it is tall). We currently have small aquarium pebbles in his current tank, but after reading and researching online, have come to find that we should use mud or sand, as well as plants.
Our pet store is pretty large, and I've seen sand there before, but my concern is that he'll suck in some of the sand when he eats, so I need to know if I should get sand anyway? Paco's still a little guy, at right around 1 foot long. Ever since we got him, you can tell he likes to get "snuggly", so we got him a hamster tube which he loves to be in, but he's growing fast so it's time to upgrade.
What I'd like to know is a list, so fill in all the blanks, and I thank you in advance!
1. Will sand be safe without him swallowing any of it when he eats? (That is, when we feed the dead fish that come frozen from the pet store and they land on the bottom). I say this because there were times when we'd see him suck in a pebble then spit it back out. (P.S. We do also feed him live goldfish)
2. What else (available at pet stores) can we feed him? We've tried the sinking shrimp pellets, but I don't like his reaction to those. After he learns when you drop them in, he goes nuts over them and starts racing (dangerously) around the tank like you just threw in some crack. He doesn't freak out so much over the live fish or the dead silversides so those are what I use now.
3. Are there any particular plants to get? Our pet store has dozens of varieties. And how many to get?
4. How much do you feed them and how often? Our pet store staff said 2 or 3 silversides like every 3 days. That doesn't seem like enough to me, since those fish are so little and skinny. Paco seems hungrier than that.
5. What is the life expectancy of my fish?
6. What is the proper Ph and water temp for this fish?
7. How often do you do water changes and how much water do you take out and replace?

Here's PacoGringo's picture (him in the hamster tunnel).

Obviously I'll take any info you can provide on Afr. Lungfish, so thanks again!

-PG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paco in a hamster tunnel.jpg (38.1 KB, 234 views)
PacoGringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 01:32 PM   #2
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Not sure how many people here will know the answers to those questions. I would suggest an exhaustive internet search to start with. We deal mostly with computer fish and these screensavers, but maybe someone might be able to shed some light on your questions.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 02:04 PM   #3
drfish
the Doc

I can think of one member who might be able to help...
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 08:05 PM   #4
PacoGringo
Registered

okay, thanks
PacoGringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 01:56 AM   #5
Socrates
Sage

http://www.aquahobby.net/board/index.php
http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?

Try these sites. They may not know, but they may know who to ask.

PS. There are like 14 gazillion forum sites for fish keeping out there and most of them are really active.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 09:17 AM   #6
wetmonkey
Registered

heres a quick search from Predatoryfish.net for all you questions

http://www.predatoryfish.net/ibforum...lite=lung+fish
wetmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium