Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 01-12-2002, 07:56 AM   #1
Nut110
Registered

Big Grin Does anyone run Sachs Aquarium on Quadro ???

Does anyone run Sachs Aquarium on Quadro 2 (Pro...) or any nVidia OpenGL card ???

I want to know if u have any problem running SS in Full Screen mode for long time (says 3 or 4 hours)...

Please let me tell some information...

I have tried for a long long time and still find the problem. SS often freezed, at first time I thought it may be the hardware... heat problem of the VGA card. However, I found later that the freezing is not the entire system but only VGA (SS) and my keyboard+mouse. I CAN ping my machine from the others and I CAN copy files from my being-freezed PC. This should be implied that it is not the hardware problem (if u have any suggestion please tell me....).

My spec...
TB 1GHz on Abit KG7-lite
256 MB DDRSDRAM
Quadro 2 Pro (mod from GeForce 2 Pro) 32 MB DDRSDRAM Detonator 23.11, 22.50, and formers...
Harddisk... VIA Southbridge driver is installed.
Win2k + Serv. Pack 2 + DX8.1

I had tested on Radeon LE, too without any problem.

Thanks in advance...
Nut110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 02:51 AM   #2
Shinsa
Registered

Exclamation SS lock ups

Hmm.... I have heard this mentioned a lot, but have yet to ever see it happen.

I'm using a Voodoo 5 5500, and leave it on for days on end... longest running time about 96 hours non stop fish (yeah, four days)

But from experience, I would check your drivers first. And remember, newest doesn't mean best. Sometimes you need to downgrade to a better driver.

Second, check and see if your video card has been overclocked. If you don't know how to check for that, search for overclocking your video card type, on www.google.com and you will find instructions on how to do it, and even how to "underclock".

Overclocking can overheat the video card (and too much overclocking can in some cases damage the card)

Underclocking will make it run cooler, and prevent some lock ups.

Just remembered one more tip, onr that just might fix your problem.

Right click the "MY COMPUTER" icon, and select "PROPERTIES".

Click the "PERFORMANCE" tab (with WIN 98, not sure about WIN ME or XP)

Click on "GRAPHICS" and adjust the slider down one notch. It is probably maxed out, and dropping it one notch sometimes makes a BIG difference.

Hope this helps.
Shinsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 09:52 AM   #3
Nut110
Registered

Cool

Thank you very much on ur reply...

I have tried for a long time... I used to believe that it is the heat problem, usually found SS freezed and also my keyboard and mouse... almost everything and I did fix it. I have just recently found that my system did not crash, just the screen and keyboard and maybe mouse. I CAN PING AND COPY FILES FROM MY PC VIA NETWORK. This makes me think again about the software issue. Yes u r right about the driver but I have no idea, no clue what should be used. So asked for someone may have this experience...

Sorry if this topic annoys u people, but I don't wanna regist any other hardware/problem website to consult this problem. And this should be the right place because I don't use any 3D software other than Sachs Aquaruim.

I have some questions, please give me ur suggestion or opinion.

1. Is it possible if the hardware issue like overheat or unstable power supply system can cause only the software crash, not the entire system crash ??? Like in this case, GF2Pro may draw too much power and because the AGP slot is not AGP Pro so the problem would occur only on function of the VGA driver (and its driver + keyboard + mourse) not the whole system.

2. Does anyone have experience about using too low power supply, say 250W, to feed high power consumption system like Athlon TB 1G ? What would happen then ? Entire crash ? Parts crash ? Permanent hardware damage ??? (I'm not sure if I would buy a new PS and the problem would be solved, now my Matlab & simulations run perfectly).

3. Which parts of software take responsibility for the display, keyboard and mouse ? Only VGA driver routine doing all of these or there are three or more separated parts take individual responsibilities to each function ?

Thank you... to be patient reading until this line

^_^!
Nut110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive