Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 01-21-2009, 11:13 AM   #281
cjmaddy
Registered

Originally posted by Edgar:
I forgot that in Beta mode, we use the MA2.6 registry settings.
Playlist and AltLogo will be in the install folder of MA2.6. ....  
I don't understand. - In all versions upto and including 8b, we have had AltLogo.png and MA3Playlist.lst in the same folder as MA3Beta.scr

With 8e, even if I add AltLogo.png, the 'L' key still doesn't work.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #282
Jim Sachs
Developer

Edgar has been experimenting with file paths. We're still deciding where to put items like logos and playlists. When the real installer is built it will probably create a folder like C:Program Files/Marine Aquarium 3, and put everything in it.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #283
cjmaddy
Registered

So where do we put AltLogo.png for 8e ?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #284
Edgar
Prolific/SereneScreen Developer

1 Highscore

There is a bug in how I appended the filepath. Hopefully will be fixed on the next build.

There will be a registry entry that will decide where the MA3 files will reside if installed by an installer.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #285
Edgar

1 Highscore

The next Beta test build will use MA26 installed folder if it was installed by an installer. It will read a registry entry, "PluginDir" to know where that installed folder is.
If that entry is not found, it will use the current directory that MA3 gets when it runs which was the case before the last 2 builds.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 01-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #286
Jim Sachs
Developer

Beta 8f is now up: http://www.fish-byte.com/MA3Beta.zip

This one includes Edgar's new fix for the Website security issue.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #287
Dale
Banned

The next Beta test build will use MA26 installed folder if it was installed by an installer. It will read a registry entry, "PluginDir" to know where that installed folder is.
If that entry is not found, it will use the current directory that MA3 gets when it runs which was the case before the last 2 builds.  
That's cool - but shouldn't you (now) tell us where the MA3 installer "installed folder" will be? [Of course, if the MA3 installer will use the MA26 installed folder if that exists, then OK]

And isn't there a Vista decision (about Program Files) in there, too?

So we (Beta testers) can get it right, now, rather than having to change it when the production version comes out?

[And, of course, so that the Beta testers can test whether it works right).
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #288
Edgar

1 Highscore

MA3 installer will use its own folder.
I can't tell you right now since I don't even know where that folder is, that is why it is in the registry entry. We won't know until it is installed.

Eventually, the plan is to have a folder per user instead of per machine.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 01-21-2009, 12:08 PM   #289
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Edgar has been experimenting with file paths. We're still deciding where to put items like logos and playlists. When the real installer is built it will probably create a folder like C:Program Files/Marine Aquarium 3, and put everything in it.  
Opinion: that is a key decision.

With Vista, putting things in C:/Program Files/ carries advantages and disadvantages. Sometimes big disadvantages.

A careful and thoughtful decision needs to be made - including considerations of Vista UAC, as well as "per-user settings" for MA3, registry considerations, etc.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #290
Dale
Banned

MA3 installer will use its own folder.
I can't tell you right now since I don't even know where that folder is, that is why it is in the registry entry. We won't know until it is installed.

Eventually, the plan is to have a folder per user instead of per machine.  
Apologies for multiple, overlapping posts.

"the plan is to have a folder per user"

So, if I'm reading that correctly, MA3 will have a different installation folder per user? Meaning that MA3 will have to be installed multiple times (once for each user)?

"MA3 installer will use its own folder.
I can't tell you right now since I don't even know where that folder is, that is why it is in the registry entry. We won't know until it is installed."

Sorry, I'm confused by that statement.

I understand that it's a lot more fun to write code. However, some fundamental decisions about top-level design might prevent a lot of re-design or re-coding later.

Perhaps you've already done that, and I'm just confused by (or am personally unable to correctly parse) the explanation. If so, I again apologize.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #291
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, the decisions are important. Those of us sitting around writing code have very limited systems which are tailor-made to writing and compiling code. That's why we're trying different ideas, and getting comments and opinions from you guys with a wide variety of systems.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #292
Edgar

1 Highscore

When people install software, they have the choice where to install. It is not always Program Files.
The folder per user is later because of the exactly that problem of having to install per user. Until we figure out a simple method to have their own folder without reinstalling per user, the current method will be in place.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 01-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #293
cjmaddy
Registered

'Meaningless error message', now fixed in 8f. Thanks! (I run in Win2k BTW, not Vista! - Just to set the record straight, this bug was not confined to Vista only!) - However, to save any confusion, is it correct that until a future update, there will be no alternate logo possible in the current versions of '8'? - ie, the 'L' key is not currently functioning?
Old 01-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #294
Edgar

1 Highscore

Cliff,
I think you have MA26 installed so try putting the alternate log in the MA26 install folder. Then it will work.

I am glad the website button works on your Win2K. That was a platform we needed to test.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 01-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #295
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

Website button working for me with XP and 8f , and logo too .
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #296
cjmaddy
Registered

Done! .... It would have saved a lot of confusion if someone had clearly said that that is where we must now move AltLogo.png to!
Old 01-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #297
Jim Sachs
Developer

We didn't actually know it until we started looking into the problem.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-21-2009, 01:05 PM   #298
Edgar

1 Highscore

When MA3 with installer version comes, the folder will change again to the installed folder of MA3.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 01-21-2009, 01:05 PM   #299
Dale
Banned

When people install software, they have the choice where to install. It is not always Program Files.
The folder per user is later because of the exactly that problem of having to install per user. Until we figure out a simple method to have their own folder without reinstalling per user, the current method will be in place.  
OK. If I may suggest:

Default for "per system" stuff == folder in wherever the "Program Files" is defined for that system (usually but not always C:\Program Files\whatever-you-pick.

REQUIRED per user (created the first time MA3 is run by that user) == folder in wherever "My Documents" is defined for that user. (often BUT OFTEN NOT C:\Documents and Settings\User Account Name\My Documents

Note that this would be a REQUIRED folder location.

Folder for "changeable system defaults" == C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\My Documents (actually, should probably be wherever "My Documents" is defined for the default user)

For Vista, substitute "Users" for "Documents and Settings" above. But the important point is that there are easy (symbolic) ways to determine where "Program Files" and individual "My Documents" folders are located.

In general, Windows will take care of changes, if you properly use logical symbols (called by various things: junction points, symbolic links (in Vista), etc.). With Vista, things like "My Documents" can be located on network drives. And users can move them, so you don't want to be tied to specific coding.

I'm sure you know all of that, so pardon my suggestion. I tried to be brief (therefore incomplete), and there are lots of other viable alternatives.

HTH
Old 01-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #300
Edgar

1 Highscore

The other problem that we have to think of is the uninstalling of the screensaver. Just using the User folder makes it more difficult to remove all the files that is created by MA3. Like I said, this will require a deeper study of the situation.
There is also the habit of Windows changing the rules for each new version. That is another headache to think about.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows