Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 10-21-2008, 04:02 AM   #1
Splashy
Registered

MA3 and LCD burn-in

I'm running MA3 beta on my new LG 26" LCD TV.
In MA2.6 there were features that helped against burn-in.
In MA3, the aquarium moves slowly from side to side which I think helps, but the blue remains the same color.
Should I be worried about burn-in if I'm running MA3 on my LCD TV during the day?
TIA,
Splashy.
Splashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:28 AM   #2
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Generally speaking because of their technology and the way they work, LCD's do not suffer from "burn in" in the way you mean it. They call it "image persistance" in LCD's and it is extremely rare and difficult to have happen. If it does you are told to either leave your monitor/tv off for a couple of days and this will reset the image crystals, or to display a bright white image on for a day or so and this is supposed to reset the crystals. Either way I wouldn't worry to much about it happening.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:09 AM   #3
Splashy
Registered

Great, then I can run MA3 with no worry
Thanks for explaining!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

One of the items to be added is an "automatic lights" feature, similar to the old program. Michael is right, LCDs aren't prone to burn-in. Even on other types of monitor, it's sharply-defined static images that cause a noticeable "ghost", not smooth washes like the background colors.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
Splashy
Registered

Thanks for the reply, Jim!
I was wondering, I also have a plasma TV in the living room and I thought about hooking it up to my laptop and running MA3, but I read online that plasma is prone to burn-in.
If that's the case, I'll settle for running it on my LCD, but it would be cool to have a virtual aquarium in my living room
Old 10-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Plasma is indeed prone to burn in and must be taken care of in that regard. That's one of the reasons why I prefer LCD's to plasma sets.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
Shinsa
Registered

Not a good idea to run it on a plasma screen. It only takes a relatively short time to burn an image into a plasma display. I have heard from friends first hand, that ruined their brand new plasma TV by playing PS games on it. Burn in took less than an hour, and was permanent. I think it was GTA3, and the little health and weapom icons could still be seen.
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Old 10-21-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
Socrates
Sage

Originally posted by Shinsa:
Not a good idea to run it on a plasma screen. It only takes a relatively short time to burn an image into a plasma display. I have heard from friends first hand, that ruined their brand new plasma TV by playing PS games on it. Burn in took less than an hour, and was permanent. I think it was GTA3, and the little health and weapom icons could still be seen.  
Better not watch any 24 hours cable news channels then. Or any cable channel with a logo in the bottom right.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #9
Jim Sachs
Developer

Do any channels NOT have a logo on the screen any more? It's my understanding that Plasma burn-in can often be cured by displaying a pure white screen for an hour or so.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

TTBOMK plasmas are more susceptible to burn-in when brand new and even then it can be "washed" by leaving the TV on with no input letting it "snow" so to speak.

Have a look here.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows