Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 11-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
skypx
Dual Xeon

Gradient Banding on 64-bit Vista / nVidia Setup

I noticed it before beta6, but I assumed it was crappy nvidia drivers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCBeta6.jpg (892.6 KB, 108 views)
Asus Rampage II Extreme|Intel Core i7 965|Corsair Dominator 6G|Western Digital VelociRaptor|Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB|Seagate Barracuda ES.2|EVGA 9800 GX2|LG GGW H20N|Sony BWU 300S|Pioneer DVR-215L|Logitech G9|Dell 3008WFP|Cooler Master Stacker 832|Thermaltake W0133RU
skypx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

It is. You can either switch to 32-bit or find drivers which do proper dithering.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:23 PM   #3
skypx
Dual Xeon

Thanks for the reply Jim. The screensaver is at 32bit and no matter what drivers I use, I see the same thing. Any ideas? Thanks.

Asus Rampage II Extreme|Intel Core i7 965|Corsair Dominator 6G|Western Digital VelociRaptor|Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB|Seagate Barracuda ES.2|EVGA 9800 GX2|LG GGW H20N|Sony BWU 300S|Pioneer DVR-215L|Logitech G9|Dell 3008WFP|Cooler Master Stacker 832|Thermaltake W0133RU
Old 11-12-2008, 11:44 PM   #4
Edgar
Prolific/SereneScreen Developer

1 Highscore

Do you only see these lines in the screensaver?
Do you have other 3D applications that are working as expected and doesn't have the same symptoms?
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:50 PM   #5
skypx
Dual Xeon

Do you only see these lines in the screensaver?

Yes.

Do you have other 3D applications that are working as expected and doesn't have the same symptoms?

All 3D apps. work as expected. No issues whatsoever.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:51 PM   #6
Dale
Banned

Your Vista is 64-bit.

64-bit Vista is a "crap shoot". Some things work really well. Others don't.

By the way, what is/are your monitor(s)? I believe that NVidia has had a bit of trouble with some models.

In any case, you might consult Nvidia support - it can't hurt.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:14 AM   #7
Socrates
Sage

I didn't have horizontal banding until beta 5. Now I've had them in betas 5 and 6. No settings or drivers changes.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Originally posted by Dale:
. . .By the way, what is/are your monitor(s)? I believe that NVidia has had a bit of trouble with some models. . .  
Do you have some further info/links on that one?

I find it a bit weird that the video card should mess *some* with monitors as the monitor only displays a video signal and really does no processing so how can nVidia video signals be worse than AMD ones?

/Tiny Curiosity
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:34 AM   #9
Jim Sachs
Developer

What concerns me is that it didn't do it before Beta 5.
Jim Sachs

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 11-13-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #10
skypx
Dual Xeon

I have not experienced any problems with vista 64, but I only use software that supports it.

I'm using a dell 3008 WFP (30") and again, no problems so far.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #11
Dale
Banned

Re: my request for "what monitor" information:

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle:
Do you have some further info/links on that one?

I find it a bit weird that the video card should mess *some* with monitors as the monitor only displays a video signal and really does no processing so how can nVidia video signals be worse than AMD ones?

/Tiny Curiosity  
Well, it's normal for the video card to query the monitor(s) to find out their characteristics, and to act on that information. It's possible for the monitor to tell the video card the wrong thing, or for the video card to misunderstand, or for the video card to do the wrong thing with correct information. Etc.

Monitors aren't just "one way" devices.

Here's one Nvidia link:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/n...i=&p_topview=1

If that's too long - go to the Nvidia site and search the knowledgebase for Viewsonic (the articla happens to be about a Viewsonic VX2835wm).

Note also that skypx is apparently running TWO video cards, presumably in SLI mode - which is another complication.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #12
Jim Sachs
Developer

Ah, I didn't catch the "two video cards" bit (or even 2 monitors). That could explain it. I've seen the system report that it was running 32-bits on both monitors when one was clearly 16.
Jim Sachs
Old 11-13-2008, 09:01 PM   #13
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by skypx:
I have not experienced any problems with vista 64, but I only use software that supports it.

I'm using a dell 3008 WFP (30") and again, no problems so far.  
Did you check out the nVidia link that I provided? That's a problem with a Viewsonic, but your Dell is the same general type of monitor. HDMI interface, etc. If you haven't already done it, a call to nVidia support might be informative.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:55 PM   #14
Edgar

1 Highscore

Try setting the second monitor to 16bit in the screensaver settings
I also did not catch the 2 monitor info.
Some nVidia drivers that we tested fails to show the secondary display correctly in 32bit. It seems setting it to 16bit in the screensaver fixes some background glitches.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 11-14-2008, 12:19 AM   #15
Socrates
Sage

My banding is 32 bit vista with nvidia. If I set it manually to 16 bit the banding is way way worse. In 32 it's just a subtle thing and is only really noticable when the two light settings are on their darkest.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:03 AM   #16
Edgar

1 Highscore

If it doesn't work then it is a different problem.
I only mentioned it in case the second monitor was the only one that has the problem.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Old 11-14-2008, 06:27 AM   #17
cjmaddy
Registered

Skypx, - I would find the 'jaggies', visible in your screen shot, more distracting. - Have you not considered applying some of the 'Performance and Quality Settings', in your nVidia display setting options?

Compare the CopperBand in the first post, with this....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MA3_jaggies1_crop3.jpg (143.3 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by cjmaddy; 11-14-2008 at 12:42 PM.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #18
skypx
Dual Xeon

Originally posted by Dale:
Did you check out the nVidia link that I provided? That's a problem with a Viewsonic, but your Dell is the same general type of monitor. HDMI interface, etc. If you haven't already done it, a call to nVidia support might be informative.  
Yes I did and based on the driver settings I don't think my monitor is incorrectly detected. I may be wrong though.

Originally posted by Edgar:
Try setting the second monitor to 16bit in the screensaver settings
I also did not catch the 2 monitor info.
Some nVidia drivers that we tested fails to show the secondary display correctly in 32bit. It seems setting it to 16bit in the screensaver fixes some background glitches.  
I'm only using one monitor.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:04 AM   #19
skypx
Dual Xeon

Originally posted by cjmaddy:
Skypx, - I would find the 'jaggies', visible in your screen shot, more distracting. - Have you not considered applying some of the 'Performance and Quality Settings', in your nVidia display setting options?

Compare the CopperBand in the first post, with this....  
cjmaddy, you're correct. I didn't even notice the jaggies..... It looks so much better now. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #20
cjmaddy
Registered

Excellent! .... Another convert! .... A touch of AA and AF, etc. can make such a difference!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows