Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 05-17-2007, 01:03 PM   #641
Jim Sachs
Developer

Just kidding. I know it's 2006.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:29 PM   #642
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

You were setting yourself up for that punchline all along!
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:00 AM   #643
Wizwad
Only me...

Ba-dum bum!
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:30 AM   #644
Jim Sachs
Developer

One problem with migrating the program to DX8/9 is that absolutely EVERYTHING has to be redone. You start with the Microsoft screensaver framework, then graft in each piece of your own application. Their framework is very different from all their other Direct3D examples, making the transition even harder. In some cases I can use my old code from the 2001 DX8 version I did for the Plus Pack. This was the case for the sound routines, which I got working yesterday.

Today I'm struggling with the Settings dialog box. This has to be done from scratch, since the Plus Pack had none. In full-screen mode, DirectX really takes over the whole screen, so it's very difficult to get a GDI object to show up. It looked like I had it for a while, but sometimes the box comes up BEHIND the Aquarium screen, which makes it seem like the program has simply locked up. Frustrating.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-19-2007, 10:12 AM   #645
Jim Sachs
Developer

OK, I got the dialog box to show up reliably -- now I need to get the mouse pointer to show up on the whole screen instead of just when it's over the box.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-19-2007, 10:33 AM   #646
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Sounds like you are making pretty good progress on the mechanics Jim.

How many items do you have in the background so far? Have you had time to add any more of those?
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #647
Jim Sachs
Developer

Right now, I'm writing the code for the mechanics of the program - the drudgery that I've been putting off for a long time.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-24-2007, 10:13 PM   #648
Jim Sachs
Developer

I found a small independant computer store in Medford, and am having them build me a custom machine. The heart of it is an 8000-series nVidia card, so I'll finally be able to do some work with Pixel Shaders.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-25-2007, 03:00 AM   #649
jleslie
Engineer

...but remember 8000 series cards explode if playing games and only work well for screen-saver development... um, well, worth a try. Sounds like a great idea...
John
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:10 AM   #650
drfish
the Doc

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
I found a small independant computer store in Medford, and am having them build me a custom machine. The heart of it is an 8000-series nVidia card, so I'll finally be able to do some work with Pixel Shaders.  
Great news!
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:17 AM   #651
Wizwad
Only me...

LOL @ John! Nice try - we'll see if it works!
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:39 AM   #652
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

WooHoo, nice Jim. What kind of cpu is going in it?

Sorry I just had to ask...................
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:56 AM   #653
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Yay!
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:53 PM   #654
Jim Sachs
Developer

Jav - The CPU is an AMD AM2 DC X2 4600+ Windsor. Video card is an nVidia 8500GT 256-meg PCI-E.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-25-2007, 10:12 PM   #655
Falz
Registered

You'd have been better off with a Core 2 and a 79xx series, but I suppose it's not for games.
Falz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:47 PM   #656
Jim Sachs
Developer

Well, no matter what I got, someone would have said, "You should have got ___".
Jim Sachs
Old 05-26-2007, 08:50 AM   #657
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I will admit that after 6 years of market dominance, AMD has lost the lead it had over Intel, but that is not to say the AMD AM2's aren't good. Intel has solved the heat problems, the wattage problems, etc. with their Core Duo line so I think that's the future of the market for the foreseeable future. If I were buying a power system, I'd have to go Intel, and I say that as someone who has not owned Intel since a Celeron 300a o/ced to 450mhz.

AMD had a great run, but Intel had deeper pockets for R&D. We knew Intel would eventually get tired of having their butt kicked in every review.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 11:12 AM   #658
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Try as we might, we can never please everyone. Please yourself first and work from there.
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:21 PM   #659
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

An 8500GT is the slowest of the 8xxx-series cards, but that's a non-issue here. The performance gain compared to the previous systems should be tremendous and that setup should be considered up-to-date for quite a while.

Falz,
A 79xx card would've been faster at shuffling polygons, but isn't it just a tiny bit smart to buy a DX10 capable card just in case you want to try and implement DX10 features in your product?

/Tiny You're Off Just Fine, Jim

Old 05-28-2007, 07:16 AM   #660
SunKing
Registered

Smile

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Well, no matter what I got, someone would have said, "You should have got ___".  
Ummmm Jim, are you still using dialup??
SunKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive