Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 05-01-2003, 04:45 AM   #1
Steven J Lowe
Blue Angel

Fish frezzing for a second?

I have MA 2 and now and again the fish freeze for about a second. Is this telling me my graphics card is not coping very well?

Steve
Steven J Lowe
Steven J Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 05:05 AM   #2
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Check to see what other tasks you might have running in the background. It could be that when one activates it is causing this problem.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 05:11 AM   #3
Steven J Lowe
Blue Angel

Thanks for replying. I have norton antivirus autoprotect running and sygate firewall but have no choice as i am on broadband. It only happens now and again so it is not the end of the world but i just didnt want to damage my graphics card.
Steven J Lowe
Old 05-01-2003, 06:15 AM   #4
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

You could purchase a modem like the Motorola Surfboard. It has a standby switch so that you can turn it off when you are not there. Information about the newest one available is located at Motorola.com
Old 05-01-2003, 08:30 AM   #5
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Steven J Lowe
Thanks for replying. I have norton antivirus autoprotect running and sygate firewall but have no choice as i am on broadband. It only happens now and again so it is not the end of the world but i just didnt want to damage my graphics card.
On broadband, you can pick up a Linksys hardware firewall/NAT/router with 4 ports (for other computers, X-Box, PS2, etc.) for $65 here. As for running NAV all the time, you could switch e-mail clients to Eudora Pro. It is almost virus-proof. It blocks all ActiveX and other junk and when you try to open an attachment that is a word doc, excel doc, exe, bat, scr, etc. it prompts you TWICE. I love it.

Originally posted by Jav400
You could purchase a modem like the Motorola Surfboard. It has a standby switch so that you can turn it off when you are not there. Information about the newest one available is located at Motorola.com
I'm not sure how this provides any additional security. The most likely time to get hacked is when you are online and actively generating traffic.

The horror stories of people getting hacked into usually involves them running Windows 2000 Server or Windows XP in the default settings (IIS running, Outlook Express actively encouraging viruses/exploits to run without even double-clicking any attachment, etc.) or having run NetMeeting (even once!) or any other program which exposes your PC.

Then the victims usually went on some kind of chat board and started making some noise and getting people mad enough at them that they then try to hack the person.

I'm not saying it's right, but what's the expression? "Don't write a check that your body can't cash?"

Anyway, I thought you got the modem to try to eke out some more speed from your connection?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 08:49 AM   #6
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Morgan is right, I use the Linksys Firewall router and its does a wonderful job.

As for the modem, I got it for 3 main reasons:
1) To see if it made any difference in my speed and stability. I am a long way from the poll, about the max distance allowed. The cable people told me that it had the strongest signal that they knew about.
2) It has better diagnostics to tell you exactly where your connection is bad if something is wrong than the goofy modems that the cable company supplies.
3) It has a standby switch, that disconnects your system for when you are not there.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:31 PM   #7
klyntun

Limiting frames per second

I have XP Professional on a new Dell 4550, 512 MB RAM, 60 gig harddrive, ATI Radeon 9700 128MB card, 2.66 GH Pentium 4 processor, and I also had some problems with the MA hiccupping now and then. I found that if I lower the FPS setting to about 50, the problem is resolved. It doesn't affect the realism at all, at least on my PC. I've noticed the same problem with the Goldfish Aquarium, and find the same solution works.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:17 AM   #8
Steven J Lowe
Blue Angel

Thanks Klyntun. That seems to have done the trick. :0)
Steven J Lowe
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive