Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 11-28-2003, 03:31 AM   #1061
wobbegong
Registered

Smile 'nother idea

probably already been suggested,but it would be great if the fish swam at you in the tank,and came right up to the glass.
They do swim in lots of different directions but never really coming straight at you.
love the lion fish,how about a jellyfish trailing its tentacles,nudibranchs on the coral,(which is moving in the current),like the idea of blue ringed octopus,pufferfish

anyway this is the best......worth every cent

cheers

john

wobbegong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 05:07 AM   #1062
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Welcome to the forum John, all planned.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 05:23 AM   #1063
wobbegong
Registered

excellent.........thanks for the welcome

John
wobbegong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 10:52 AM   #1064
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Yes John , Welcome to the forum . You will really like it here . We are like family here .
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:07 AM   #1065
Seafoam
The Fish Whisperer

Embarassed One of my favorites

Achilles Tang.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tang1.jpg (29.3 KB, 238 views)
  16 year old FISH FREAK!
My fishies: Renshaw, & Alan (the plecs), Debbie (the pictus catfish), Kirk/Desi/Electra/Irving/Peggy (the tetras), Melvin, & Penny! RIP Mercedes...2/27/01-2/18/04 ;_; And RIP Gunther...we miss u...
FINDING NEMO RULES! I <3 Bubbles, Gill, & Gurgle ^_^
www.lassenart.com
Seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 01:04 PM   #1066
Jim Sachs
Developer

Nice fish. I'll be on the lookout for one when visiting aquarium stores.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:37 PM   #1068
Wizwad
Only me...

Wow! We just gotta have us one of them! Can we? Can we? Hm?

By the way, just out of interest, is it likely that the algorithm for tangs will be updated at some point so that the pectoral fins (?) flip up and down rather than sway back and forth? I'm guessing that once the fins have been joined to the body mesh that it won't be too much of a problem as far as the mesh is concerned, but I'm not a programmer so I don't know how easy or tricky it would be to update that aspect of it.
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:42 PM   #1069
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Yes . By all means , we need some of them . Those pics are great .
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 05:16 PM   #1070
Jim Sachs
Developer

Mark -

Yes, the proper fin movement for each species will be incorporated into the next major revision. The fish in the Freshwater Tank will start out that way.
Jim Sachs
Old 04-13-2004, 10:06 PM   #1071
klyntun

Here's another vote for the Achilles Tang. What a beauty. And maybe you could incorporate an anti-trojan program into it also.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:02 AM   #1072
Jim Sachs
Developer

I'd comment, but I don't want to be thought of as a heel.
Jim Sachs
Old 04-14-2004, 02:25 AM   #1073
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

It's an outright puns bonanza around these parts today...
(and keep 'em coming )
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:17 AM   #1074
cjmaddy
Registered

Achilles? - Puns? - This is tendon to becoming the sole porpoise of muscling in on this tissue of fishy nonsense, - yes?
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 01:31 PM   #1075
Seafoam
The Fish Whisperer

Angry

LOL!!

Yea, the Achilles Tang is a gorgeous fish. I want one. (And it's my new avatar, hehe..)

The rest of those pics are really pretty too.

I don't know why it's called "Achilles"!!!! ^___^
  16 year old FISH FREAK!
My fishies: Renshaw, & Alan (the plecs), Debbie (the pictus catfish), Kirk/Desi/Electra/Irving/Peggy (the tetras), Melvin, & Penny! RIP Mercedes...2/27/01-2/18/04 ;_; And RIP Gunther...we miss u...
FINDING NEMO RULES! I <3 Bubbles, Gill, & Gurgle ^_^
www.lassenart.com
Seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 05:30 PM   #1076
Wizwad
Only me...

That's good news about the fin movement Jim. Thanks.

So when will... Don't worry, just kidding.
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:05 PM   #1077
nick c
Registered

Someone mentioned a brittle star, I'd put a vote in for that. I like how animated they are more than their looks.

Someone else mentioned that the 3D background will be 2X as wide. I don't see how that is possible unless you make the fish smaller, will they be? Or did they mean the back will be 2X farther away? I would vote for the back being farther away, and also change the vantage point to a little above horizontal. I think changing the vantage point would make it seem a lot more 3D as you could see over objects to other objects behind them and fish swimming behind them, that sort of thing. Having the fish swimming farther away and back again would greatly add to the sense of depth, and make a much more interesting and 3D looking terrain. Also, if you watch someone keenly looking into an aquarium, this is the vantage point they choose, whether they need to stand on tip-toes or stoop. Taking into account that most monitors are angled up slightly and people are looking down at them, a higher than horizontal vantage would make the tank seem to fit in with real space, i.e. the bottom of the tank would look level with the desk the monitor is on. A while ago there was a post that said you might be able to change the camera angle and pan around the tank in the 3D version, that would be wicked, but I haven't heard any more on that...

I am also still unclear (although I still have not read all the posts) why the number of creatures needs to be limited by the program. It has been explained as a collision detection problem. It has also been stated that the new 3D background version might be able to 'fit' 10 fish because it is bigger. I don't understand why the tank size matters. If you have 7 fish all in one corner, isn't that like cramming them into a smaller tank? Originally I thought that collision detection calculations increases exponentially as you increase fish and therefore it would be a CPU limitation, but then you still would only be able to have 7 fish in the 3D version...so now I'm confused. But the ability to have more fish would be on my wish-list. If someone could either respond or provide a link to another area it is explained that would be great.

Also, I don't know if collision detection matters as much for the inverts on the bottom (I would think it would, but from what I have read it sounds like this might not be the case, depending on the creature). However, because they tend to have complex surfaces it becomes a CPU limitation. In which case, why can't people just put in the number of inverts that still let them have a decent frame rate? I think lots of inverts really liven up a tank, they are like icing. I like lots of icing!

I know this post is getting long already, but did you know fish can be spelled "phot"? "ph" = "f" as is physics, "o" = "i" as in women, and "t" = "sh" as in fiction.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:35 PM   #1078
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Someone else mentioned that the 3D background will be 2X as wide. I don't see how that is possible unless you make the fish smaller
Nope.
Or did they mean the back will be 2X farther away?
Nope.
I think changing the vantage point would make it seem a lot more 3D as you could see over objects to other objects behind them and fish swimming behind them, that sort of thing.
Which is why the camera will pan back and forth over the double-width background. The fish aren't getting any bigger or smaller.

I am also still unclear why the number of creatures needs to be limited by the program.
For asthetic reasons.
It has been explained as a collision detection problem.
Correct. If you have more fish, they bump into each other or fight trying to around each other. It looks really ugly. I usually have my Aquarium set to 6 fish to minimize the 'bumper cars' look.

It has also been stated that the new 3D background version might be able to 'fit' 10 fish because it is bigger.
A conscious choice has been made to allow 10 fish with the double-width 3D background.

I don't understand why the tank size matters. If you have 7 fish all in one corner, isn't that like cramming them into a smaller tank?
Which is why the 7 fish are spread out and no more are allowed. You can have 8 fish if you use the Widescreen background.

Originally I thought that collision detection calculations increases exponentially as you increase fish and therefore it would be a CPU limitation
This Aquarium has something few other screen savers have -- collision AVOIDANCE. Instead of waiting until there is a problem and then trying to gracefully solve it, this Aquarium makes efforts using basic math to keep fish from ending up in the same place at the same time. A subtle but important distinction.

However, because they tend to have complex surfaces it becomes a CPU limitation.
It's not a CPU issue, it's simply an aesthetic choice. Things will really get hairy if you have many invertebrates trying to crawl over the same terrain.

All of the developers out there using advanced physics models and Calculus, and Jim came up with something that looks more graceful using pre-Algebra. Go figure!
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 03:28 PM   #1079
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Whew! As Diane Keaton said in 'Baby Boom'
"I don't want to know where the water comes from, I just want to turn on the faucet and have water!"

That is how I feel, information overload, I just want to enjoy these screen savers and I’ll leave the worrying to y’all!

Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 07:56 PM   #1080
nick c
Registered

If everything is just an aesthetic choice, why not let the user decide what works for them aesthetically? Especially if you start introducing snails and hermit crabs and stuff. I would want a few snails, a hermit crab, a couple starfish, an urchin, and maybe one 'centerpiece' invertebrate like a larger crab or the octopus. Depending on their size, color, speed of movement, "wow factor" and where they can go (i.e. can they only stay on the sand or climb around on the rocks, or be up on the glass?) I may want more or less.

As for the fish, yes I have noticed you never get all of them clumping together, good AI! 7 fish works for me and I don't *need* more. I guess since you have set a limit I can't try 8 fish for myself and say "Hey, that looks terrible" and switch back to 7. I've always been the type to want to try it and decide for myself. I can see that you want all the options to look great when you put out a product of this quality, and never have it able to look bad no matter what people try to do.

The view may pan back and forth but I was more thinking of getting a higher perspective, looking down slightly at the aquarium, rather than straight on. Notice aquariums are usually displayed lower than eye level....wait, what? Pan back and forth? Hmmm....if it is automatically panning I hope you can turn that feature off, although I see that it makes sense for burn-in issues...I guess I would occasionally like to pan to a new area once in a while for a change of scene, or to find my favorite critter, which would still solve the long term burn-in problem. That will also answer a lot of people asking for options for different background choices, as they can just pan to a new area of the tank.

Sounds great! Can't wait!
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows