Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 04-28-2007, 03:14 PM   #521
debavocet
Welcome to the Quack House!

Cool Panning on a Mac

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Rocks are next. I already took the photos of some volcanic rocks I bought, so now I need to build the objects. Like the gravel, the new textures are so much better that I can't believe I got away with using the old ones for so long.

One persistant problem is the rapidly growing number of polygons in the scene. When the camera moves back and forth, the angular nature of low-polygon objects sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm working on techniques to minimize this.  

Is the panning effect going to work on my Mac (v.2.8)?
Also, have you thought about creating a swimming jelly, like a box jelly? It sounds like an interesting challenge.
debavocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #522
feldon34
Forum Administrator

So far, the widescreen and dual monitor features of the Mac version have equalled or surpassed the Windows version. I wouldn't expect the new background to be an exception.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:06 AM   #523
Jim Sachs
Developer

The Mac translation will be up to Jim O'Connor, but I see no reason why that feature shouldn't work. I'm worried about some other features, but not that one.

Yodelkin & TT - I happen to be in Hawaii at the moment, and was swimming with the HumuHumus just a few hours ago.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:27 AM   #524
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:04 AM   #525
Jim Sachs
Developer

Back home at my desk in California now after snorkeling again with the Humuhumus on Maui this morning.

On our last night there, we had dinner at David Paul's Lahaina Grill. Somehow, they knew it was our 25th anniversary, so they took our picture. The young lady snapping the pic made just about every mistake in the book, but the funniest part is the expression on the guy in the mirror.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sachs 5.1.07.JPG (191.3 KB, 89 views)
Jim Sachs

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 05-03-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:15 PM   #526
Jim Sachs
Developer

Incidentally, the lightplay vertex shader is under contol now, and producing very nice results. Just needs some fine-tuning once I get all the objects into the tank.

Working on the bubble column today.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-03-2007, 05:31 PM   #527
Vish
Registered

Sweet...
--Vish
Vish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:24 AM   #528
cjmaddy
Registered

Jim, that shot gives you a certain kind of aura!
aura [ö'ra],
noun - a supposed subtle emanation, especially that essence which is claimed to emanate from all living things and to provide an atmosphere for occult phenomena, invisible to most people but apparently seen by some as a luminous or coloured glow surrounding other living forms; air, distinctive character (figurative); the peculiar sensations that precede an attack of hysteria...
... just had to quote that definition!! ..... Maybe the guy in the mirror saw it too!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:28 AM   #529
Simple Steve
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Back home at my desk in California now after snorkeling again with the Humuhumus on Maui this morning.

On our last night there, we had dinner at David Paul's Lahaina Grill. Somehow, they knew it was our 25th anniversary, so they took our picture. The young lady snapping the pic made just about every mistake in the book, but the funniest part is the expression on the guy in the mirror.  
Hey Jim, what's your wifes ethnicity? I can't quite place it. Southeast Asian maybe?
Simple Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:10 AM   #530
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

When my brother used to ask the waiter/waitress to take the picture, he'd set it all up for them so all they had to do was push the button so this wouldn't happen. This looks like a real challenge for photoshopper. Notwithstanding the pic, congratulations on your 25th anniversary - you both are still smiling on the inside which is what really counts. Good to hear the tank is really coming along since you crossed over into the light.

Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes.

Last edited by Surferminn; 05-04-2007 at 08:01 AM.
Surferminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:44 AM   #531
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Happy 25th Jim! Congratulations! Wow! That's a long time!
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:09 AM   #532
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Congratulations Jim, and Happy Anniversary
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:08 AM   #533
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Yes, many happy returns.
As for the ghost ........

(Marian ducks)
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:15 AM   #534
Jim Sachs
Developer

Cliff - Yes, I've always emanated that bright light. Unfortunately, it comes from the back of my head, so it doesn't help to see where I'm going

Steve - My wife was originally from the Philippines.

Thanks for the congratulations, everyone. When I was in my early 30's my plan was to become a hermit, so it really feels strange to be celebrating my Silver Anniversary and to have a kid in college.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #535
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Jim,
Were you in the movie 'Cocoon'?
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:01 PM   #536
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Unfortunately you are correct about doing pretty much everything wrong. I have no idea what to do with that photo, with the big honking glare in the shot I'm not sure you can do anything much worth talking about. Who takes a photo in front of a mirror using a flash? I hope this was only someone trying to do a nice gesture, because she's starving if she does this for a living.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #537
Jim Sachs
Developer

Jav- It was the hostess at the restaurant, and I guess you could say she does this for a living. She did realize that it didn't turn out well, and re-positioned me on Edi's side of the table for a second try. That one came out better, but I won't post it because it makes me look shorter than Edi

What amazed me was that they even knew this was our anniversary. Apparently, years ago, I had filled out a questionaire and put down our anniversary date. When I made the reservation Tuesday morning, they must have linked me to their database. They had a card ready for us which had been signed by all the employees.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-04-2007, 01:08 PM   #538
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

That's a pretty cool reception.

Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes.

Surferminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:45 PM   #539
twkatadin
Registered

Smile Awesome News

Jim,

Great news on the progress with 3.0. I love the existing screensaver - I can imagine being in the water even when I'm at work (And this is from someone who goes snorkeling every weekend - so you know the screensaver has to be good to get rave reviews). Next time you come to Maui let me know, I'm always looking for people to go snorkeling with.

Here's to more breakthroughs

Tim
twkatadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:00 AM   #540
Marian Nichols
~Author~

I have an aunt, my mother's brother's wife, who is from the Philippines.
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive