Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 05-15-2002, 06:40 AM   #561
glenramsey
Registered

Time-of-day aware lighting (WISH LIST)

Notwithstanding the fact that I am unquestionably amazed: Are there any plans, or is it possible, to have different light settings depending on particular times of the day?

We plan to install a computer and monitor in our bedroom as a permanent feature. As beautiful as the fish are we would love it if the lights could dim according to a particular setting at "bed time" so we can dream about the fish instead of see them all night, hey, we need our sleep!! :-)
glenramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 08:09 AM   #562
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Well, I'd be inclined to simply kick out of the Aquarium before you go to bed using the keyboard.

Alternately, you can use the keyboard to turn the brightness of the background and foreground up when you wake up and down when you go to sleep.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 03:31 PM   #563
jbdial
Registered

Thumbs Down New fish

I would love to see the state fish of hawaii - the humuhumunukunukuapuaa. This is a trigger fish so it should just be a slight modification to the Picasso triggerfish already included.
jbdial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 06:57 PM   #564
Jim Sachs
Developer

The Picasso is a humu humu. Actually, the Hawaiian name just means "pig-nosed fish" and they apply it equally to several different species with the same shape but different markings.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 05:59 PM   #565
jbdial
Registered

Angry

Thanks Jim,
I thought it looked like it, but the colors are a little different than I remember from my recent snorkeling in Maui.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg humuhumu1.jpg (2.6 KB, 492 views)
jbdial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 11:09 AM   #566
Ricordia
Reef Keeper

Dragon Goby

Jim,

My 150 gallon reef tank is nearing its first month of operation and I've got some live fish that would look great in SSA (at least, I think so). http://www.ricosweb.com/ReefTank.asp

I have a Dragon Goby that picks up mouthfulls of gravel, swishes them around, then spits the cleaned gravel out its gills. Here's a picture of him:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dragongoby.jpg (81.3 KB, 416 views)
Ricordia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 02:16 AM   #567
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

Great reef, Ricordia. I wish I had the time to start my own. And with the Dragon Goby, I'm on your side, I like these "gravel-eating" guys.
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 08:57 PM   #568
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

This is my request for all the SereneScreens. A settings panel with pictures next to the names on the drop down list. I think it would be much easier and more convenient than drag-n-drop or anything else. It would probably use less code as well, helping to keep the bytes down. I'm sure this was mentioned and talked about before, I just couldn't find it. What was the consensus?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg settings311.jpg (67.6 KB, 368 views)
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 07:38 AM   #569
Axle
Registered

Patscarr, if you are dying for this, i suggest downloading the latest "Fish-loader" from the thread entitled "Start pre-loaded Aquarium".

Its actually very clever, u can select the fish that u want (visually of course), then save that as a custom aquarium. My freind and I made a setting called "The Lion Enclosure", 7 LIONFISH!! Its very funny when u see it running, i suggest everyone give it a try!

But back to suggestions, i would like to see the aquarium lights randomise at any point. Right now, the lights are either at each end of the scale, or together at one end.

It would be good if they moved up and down the light scale:
a) randomly (moving any time, slowy or quickly), and
b) independently

There are some nice middle spots, where the b/g is blue, and the foreground is slightly shaded, giving a sort of night-ish effect- but the SS never shows them off in automatic mode.

I dont think this would be very hard to implement (though i suck at programming, so forgive me if im wrong), but would add alot!
Axle Foley
Avid User of SereneScreen Aquarium
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 08:23 AM   #570
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Axle, I've been using Mountainmaster's excellent program since it's begining. The above mentioned suggestion and screen shot are for Jim to mull over. Any thoughts yet, Jim?
Patrick
Old 06-02-2002, 11:17 AM   #571
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Pat,

Hopefully Prolific finds the time to go all the way and do my UberSettingsPanel...

https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/...ttings102.html
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 06-02-2002, 06:43 PM   #572
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Oh, is Prolific, and not Jim, in charge of doing the settings panel?
Patrick
Old 06-02-2002, 08:42 PM   #573
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Jim has said repeatedly that he is an artist first, a programmer second. In June of last year, Jim handed most of the programming responsibility of the Aquarium over to a trusted friend at Prolific.

Why not sooner? Jim wanted the Aquarium at a "solid" level before he entrusted it to anyone. I think we were at .99H at this time.

Why not later? I'm sure Jim was totally burned out wasting 2 months on the Microsoft Plus XP version, only for Microsoft to
#1 raise the price on Plus to $40, completely sabotaging the whole upgrade idea and
#2 make the DirectX 8 screen saver libraries virtually incompatible with Windows 95, 98, and ME. and I am not talking about DirectX 8 itself. I am talking about the screen saver libraries, which any screen saver is dependant upon.

To quote Jim, "it takes me several hours to add checkboxes and menu items and debug them. It would take Will [at Prolific] a few minutes."

It's simply a question of busyness. Will is now doing the CompuTrainer updates, plus he's squarely involved in Playstation 2 development @ Prolific. Will gets maybe one day every 2 weeks to dedicate to the Aquarium. That time has been dedicated so far to a DirectX 7 upgrade of the Aquarium. Multiple monitors and less password/security issues is the major benefit of this upgrade.

Last edited by feldon34; 06-02-2002 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:59 PM   #574
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Nothing new, just wanted to post this real nice picture of a couple of lobsters. They're missing their claws for some reason, but still impressive none the less. I hope the lobster that eventually makes it into the aquarium looks this good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lobsters.jpg (110.4 KB, 254 views)
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...

Last edited by Digital Lungfish; 06-05-2002 at 12:02 AM.
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 06:54 AM   #575
CephaloP
lurking in the shadows...

Those'r Spiny Lobsters. They don't have claws. Tails still taste great though
CephaloP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 08:19 AM   #576
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

"Mmmmmm, mmmmmm, mmmmmmm!" Patrick says rubbing his stomach.
Patrick
Old 06-05-2002, 08:31 AM   #577
Axle
Registered

yet another suggestion......

feldon, i really like ure uber-panel, i hope too that it comes in the next version (or some variant of). I really cant wait to turn the triggerfish off random, no offense to anyone but i find 'em incredibly ugly. (havent seen em in real life tho)

Those spiny lobsters look super cool, like to seem something as visually pleasing as them also!

But here are my suggestions (tho im sure Jim doesnt check here much anymore......alot to keep up on):

*The fish have more 'slow time'. Just a term i made up for when the fish almost stop, but kinda still move along. Id like if, like real fish, they stayed still a bit more, or maybe slow down more often.

* Id like to see a more yellow percula clownfish (or better yet a Clarkii Clownfish). It probably wouldnt be too much more artistry, since the clownfish can be used as the base, just changing orange to yellow, altering the white banding, and changing the darkness on fin-tips. The clown is definately one of my fav fish, so id love to see another one! (Perhaps in the creature pack?)

Anyway, heres a nice picture of the clownfish im yapping on about:
Axle Foley

Last edited by Axle; 06-05-2002 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:39 AM   #578
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Which triggerfish do you want to turn off? The Clown? The Picasso? or both?
Old 06-06-2002, 10:06 AM   #579
Axle
Registered

Both....excuse my language but i think the clown trigger looks like a swimming poop.

But then again, i love the blue damsel, but its one of the lowest rating in the 'fish rater'.
Axle Foley
Old 06-06-2002, 11:55 AM   #580
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The blue damsel doesn't have enough detail to me. As for the Picasso, it's too yellow and the color highlights at the tail and on top are too subdued. This fish is very bright and the colors should jump off the screen.

I finally got to see one in real life.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows