Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 01-04-2002, 08:30 PM   #1
euclid314
Mathematician

May have taken wrong path

I waited to register till I got my new Dell 8200, it came 1/2/02.
I downloaded the program, but when came time to unzip, I kept getting a window saying "WinZip not recognized on this computer". So I went into the screen saver section where SereneScreen is... and entered my reg.#. The program is running fine now, but it is a screen saver. (Saw where it is better to just use the desktop icon.) Can I easily move the screen saver to my desktop, without downloading the program and having to unzip it? *Don't know why having problems with winzip; it's in my add/remove section.
Only the dead have seen the end of war. ~ Plato
euclid314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 11:35 PM   #2
Socrates
Sage

I assume it came with XP.

Do this for the quick workaround:

Click Start
Click Search or Find (Can't remember what it's called in XP).
Search for FISH.SCR
When you find it, use the RIGHT mouse button to drag it to the desktop.
When you drop it, choose Create Shortcut Here (or copy here if you like). Don't pick Move here.

Do you have the XP Plus pack by the way. I wonder if the one in your screen savers list is the 3 fish XP version??? Because last I checked the screen saver unpacks to the desktop, and then you right click and choose install to get it into your system directory. I also hought it was self-extracting.

Try this on the Aquarium99L.exe program file:
Right click it once
Choose OPEN WITH WINZIP if it is there.
Then extract the individual file to your desktop.

Then right click the Fish.scr file and choose INSTALL.

Sorry if this is all garbled. Trying to think on my feet and don't have an XP machine right in front of me.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 04:40 AM   #3
MegaHertz
Registered

Smile Don't Forget...

There is no C:\Windows\Desktop folder in XP you have to change the destination to a another folder then drag to the desktop from there.
Hello...Welcome to the Police 9-1-1 Hotline..." If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly. If you are codependant, ask someone to press 2. If you are a multiple personality, press 3, 4, 5, and 6. If you are paranoid, we know who you are and we are tracing this call. If you are schizophrenic, a little voice will tell you what to do. If you are depressed, it doesn't matter which # you push it will be wrong anyway.
MegaHertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 09:28 AM   #4
euclid314
Mathematician

reply to socrates

socrates, are you aware of any other un-zip programs, such as winzip? I've had problems with winzip on my new winXP OS. A free one would be nice.
I think the easiest way, FOR ME, to do this would be, download the program, unzip, install to desktop.... then, change my screen saver. (I don't think I would need to delete the aquarium program in my screen saver, would I?)
Thanks again for your help. My cat loves this program, will post a picture as soon as I get around to hooking up my webcam.
(P.S.- Noticed when program runs in screen saver, it "jerks" every 5 seconds or so. The picture stops for aprox. half a second, then starts up again... never loose picture, though. Will running it from desktop fix this?) I have a Dell 8200 1.9GHz P-4 with GeForce3 Ti500 video card.
Only the dead have seen the end of war. ~ Plato
euclid314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 09:05 PM   #5
Socrates
Sage

Honestly I haven't messed with XP too much yet. Most of the work I've done on it so far has revolved around larger issues like networking and basic driver setup, etc.

The thing is, that I think the Aquarium is supposed to be able to automatically uncompress on any 32 bit windows. Feldon or Jim will have to verify if that's true.

Maybe what you need to do is comploetely uninstall Winzip. Re-download the Aquarium99L.exe file and try it again before reinstalling Winzip.

If that doesn't work I think you'll probably have to go through SereneScreen tech support - unless someone else around here has seen this one, but I don't think they have.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 09:26 PM   #6
Jim Sachs
Developer

Up until now, the Aquarium has always used a self-extractor which I licensed from WinZip. The Aquarium exe file contained everything it needed to unzip itself and the WinZip program did not need to be installed on the computer.

However, some systems gave you the option "UnZip with WinZip?", and if the person chose "Yes", then WinZip needed to be present.

I don't know what the new Prolific installer uses, but I imagine it is self-contained.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 11:10 PM   #7
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The new installer keeps the files in a Windows-compatible CAB file and a small unCABbing dll.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive