Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 01-31-2002, 10:54 AM   #1
SteveMcD
Registered

Embarassed 100 fps (again) in Screen Saver mode

I have the Aquarium installed on my P800 desktop with a Nvidia Geforce 2 graphics card (32MB mem). I am running Win98SE and DirectX 8.1.

Recently I "trusted" the Microsoft Windows Update that said there was some new sound drivers for the Creative soundblaster Live Value. These were the WDM drivers. I currently had the older standard style drivers.

Well after installing these new sound drivers everything worked ok (i.e. sound, video) with the exception that the frame rate of the screen saver was only about 10fps. After much trial and remembering what I did, I went back to the older standard style Creative sound drivers.

My Aquarium now performs again at an ammazing 100 fps (yes 100fps!).

The only thing I can think of is that the WDM sound drivers (I think these are the Microsoft std that are supposed to work across all operating system platforms) do not coexist with DirectX?? Anyone have any better ideas?...

That just shows me you should not always just "trust" the Microsoft Windows update and perform installs.

--Steve
SteveMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 11:31 AM   #2
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Basically you have probably hit the nail on the head. We have long had problems with this kind of thing. The newest drivers are almost never the best at anything.

We don't have a sound driver section, but we do offer a help section for video drivers here https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/help.html
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 02:07 PM   #3
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

The one from MS might be a little different than Creatives even though they are the same version.

I know this is true for my video card, wintv, etc.
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive