Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 09-26-2003, 05:34 PM   #41
grape_jellyfish
Registered

Not me, I wouldnt want to go back for anything.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....It's learning to Dance in the Rain.
grape_jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 09:11 PM   #42
Panthera
Hygenius

Originally posted by Marian Nichols
Yes, and I wish I had some of my wasted youth back,
I agree, I do too. Life is too short and when we are young all we want to do is grow up "now" and speed up time. And it is something we have to experience to fully understand, as Jav stated. Very true.
Panthera Tigris Altaica
The largest living cat in the world, the Siberian Tiger possesses both
grace and beauty. Although it spends a lot of time hunting,
its reputation as a vicious killer is undeserved ....
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 11:00 PM   #43
grape_jellyfish
Registered

Yes I agree, but that doesnt only apply to younger people, it seems no matter how old you are you have to go through a situation in order to fully learn anything from it and understand.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....It's learning to Dance in the Rain.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:53 PM   #44
klyntun

Someone posted earlier that life is short. Heck, it's the longest thing you ever do. I mean, hey, you do it until you die.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:27 AM   #45
Panthera
Hygenius

Originally posted by grape_jellyfish
Yes I agree, but that doesnt only apply to younger people, it seems no matter how old you are you have to go through a situation in order to fully learn anything from it and understand.
I wasn't applying the "living and learning" experience only to younger people. What I said in reference to younger people is that most tend to want to grow up fast. Then I added that in order to understand it we have to experience it. And that part was not intended to be targeted only to the younger crowd. I think people of all ages need to experience things to understand them.. you live and learn. (AND I'm talking about people of ALL ages.)
Panthera Tigris Altaica
Old 09-27-2003, 12:30 AM   #46
Panthera
Hygenius

Originally posted by klyntun
Someone posted earlier that life is short. Heck, it's the longest thing you ever do. I mean, hey, you do it until you die.
I also happen feel life is too short.. yes it is the 'longest' thing you ever do, but in my experience, it seems to go by so fast, especially the older you get. At least that is how I feel about it. I always seem to look back and wonder where the time went.
Panthera Tigris Altaica
Old 09-27-2003, 04:03 AM   #47
Wizwad
Only me...

I have a theory that we perceive the passing of time in relation to the time we have already experienced. The older we get, the shorter a week, or a month, or a year seems in comparison with what we have already lived. That's why it seems to speed up as we get older. Living through a mind numbingly boring morning meeting now seems just as long as living through a boring morning when I was small, but taken as a total, the last 6 months for me seem to have taken just a week or two.

To address Grape's point (whilst leaving the whole adolescence issue firmly to one side), it's the lack of experience, knowledge and grasp of self worth that, in my belief, make youth so miserable in many cases. What I wouldn't give to be 11 again and back in the first year of secondary school, *but with the knowledge and experience I have now* and do things right where I previously went wrong.

Just as a small example, for the first 20 years of my life, learning was a chore, something forced on my by the establishment. I didn't realise that learning can be one of the most fun and enjoyable passtimes around. As a result of that, and the fact that I didn't understand what that learning related to in the wider world (a grasp of which *only* comes with experience), I didn't absorb nearly as much as I might otherwise have done. To go back with my current appreciation and get all that free knowledge now, and build a solid foundation across the range of human understanding, now THAT would be bliss. And now I have enough mental hooks, enough of a mental framework, to be able to fit that knowledge into the bits I *do* know and thus retain it.

How did we get here from 'I don't like yellow tang', again?
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 05:57 AM   #48
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

LOL, I have no idea. But I am going to search the web for some kind of smilie or for something along that line that will be the "Official", Boy we sure wandered on that one award, so I can paste it the next time we do this.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 06:26 AM   #49
Panthera
Hygenius

Hehhehehe
Panthera Tigris Altaica
Old 09-27-2003, 07:49 AM   #50
IXNAY
Green Frog

WOW big discussion, just because of my little sentence
nice thoughts
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 09:06 AM   #51
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Originally posted by IXNAY
WOW big discussion, just because of my little sentence
nice thoughts
hehehehe see what you did .
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 09:59 AM   #52
klyntun

IXNAY and Tiny Turtle, vying for the supremem title, "Thread Hijacker Extrodinaire." Watch the humanity, read the pathos, forget why you're there. It's neck and neck, Folks! Who will be the victor? Only time will tell...
Old 10-01-2003, 10:23 AM   #53
Marsh Marigold
Still Folding

Just read your post Wiz, and I am in total agreement. Except that that is MY theory. HA HA.

Well said. I really like your last point.

Marsh Marigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 12:31 PM   #54
Wizwad
Only me...

What, the bit about the thread having, um, 'wandered'?

Thanks for your comment, Marsh. Meanwhile, I have another theory about the age of a chinese restaurant and the flavour of the food if you're interested...

OK, maybe not.
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 01:08 PM   #55
cjmaddy
Registered

I don't think I want to hear that theory! ..... It sounds like it might put me off chinese food for good!, - and it's one of my favourites.

Going back, to the time passing more quickly though, with the passing years. - I can sadly confirm that it is very true, - and very depressing! - Don't expect it to slow down, - it doesn't, - it just goes quicker and quicker!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 02:03 PM   #56
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Originally posted by cjmaddy
I don't think I want to hear that theory! ..... It sounds like it might put me off chinese food for good!, - and it's one of my favourites.

Going back, to the time passing more quickly though, with the passing years. - I can sadly confirm that it is very true, - and very depressing! - Don't expect it to slow down, - it doesn't, - it just goes quicker and quicker!
Unless your bursitis is acting up,
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 02:45 PM   #57
Jim Sachs
Developer

For the past few years, I've been looking for a form of hypnosis which would slow down the perception of time. I must admit that my knowlege of the subject is mostly what I've seen in movies. In quite a few scenes, a subject will be put into a hypnotic state and then awake to feel like a lot of time has passed, when it's only been a few minutes. I'd like to find out if this could be real, and sustainable. Since our perception is all we're really dealing with here, it seems reasonable to be able to alter it through the subconcious.

My second problem is getting it to work on me. I went to a hypnotherapist a few years ago, but was unable to "go under". He said it was a control issue (as in, I was not likely to give it up.)
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 05:27 PM   #58
grape_jellyfish
Registered

I think I would have a problem with giving someone that I had just known a few minutes that much control.

Old 10-01-2003, 06:56 PM   #59
klyntun

Jim,
A few years ago I got my certification as a hypnotherapist. During my studies and in my ensuing experience I have come to believe that there is no one that cannot be hypnotized to some degree. Actually we all experience some degree of hypnosis every day. Some people call it daydreaming, or zoning out. Some people drive home from work and realize they can't remember the last 20 miles of the road.
Some hints: a subject under hypnosis is still in complete control; you can "wake up" anytime you want. Someone under hypnosis will not do anything he or she would not do during "normal waking" conciousness. A subject's degree of hypnosis may range from very light to very deep. There is a form of hypnosis called "plenary" hypnosis where the subject appears to be in a coma. In this state the body is able to perform almost miraculous feats of healing. A subject will never "not wake up" from hypnosis. If it is so enjoyable that the subject chooses not to come out of the hypnotic state when prompted to do so, the state will eventually segue into a normal sleep state from which the subject will awaken naturally.
As a part of almost every session that I do, I have the subject experience the relaxation and peace of the hypnotic state for "as long as he or she wishes." I inform them that time passes differently for the unconcious, so though I am going to stop talking for only 60 seconds, for them it can be 60 minutes, or hours, or as long as they need it to be. Nobody complains. Whether a subject experiences any profound insights or changes from a session, everyone agrees that the depth of relaxation alone is worth it.
Q: How many hypnotists does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: Only one, but the lightbulb really has to want to change.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:39 PM   #60
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I have always heard that in truth without, so called chemicals and true detrimental "brainwashing" techniques, that you can't be made to do anything you wouldn't normally do. So, whats with the stage shows, are all those people shills, or just dumb enough to make fools of themselves in public?
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive