Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X
Notices

Old 08-21-2004, 03:10 PM   #1
johnblommers
The Architect

Enhancement requests

Goldfish Aquarium has already given me many hours of enjoyment, and I have a few enhancement requests I'd like the developers to consider.

(1) Provide the user with tuning options over some performance-impacting areas such as texture quality, motion of the plants, and please re-instante the "optimize video memory" like Marine Aquarium has.

(2) Increase the resolution on the plants and those big rocks, they look a bit fuzzy to me.,

(3) Fish should cast shadows upon the bottom at the very least, even if they are blobs. It's not very realistic right now.

(4) In the GA application, as you drag the resize handle, the dimensions do not update, you have to let go of the window. Please update the field in real time as the user adjusts the window size to the desired setting.

(5) How about putting in a little plaque in the tank, and let the user select either some text or an image file? That would be so freaking cool! Please?
Reasons people don't watch Star Trek:
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
01% - My parents were killed by Klingons and it's still too painful.
johnblommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 05:11 PM   #2
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

1) We pulled the "optimize video memory" because the models in Goldfish have way too much transparency for this to work. Too many odd artifacts. They could be solved but it would increase the memory bound nature of the program.

2) Talk to me in a couple weeks.

3) Shadows are an entirely new ball of wax. Not out of the question, just not something that will come without a HUGE increase in computation.

4) Hmm.

5) You mean a goldfish version of Marine Aquarium Time 2/Logo?
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 05:40 PM   #3
johnblommers
The Architect

snip

5) You mean a goldfish version of Marine Aquarium Time 2/Logo?

It's not clear to me if the Marine Aquarium Time 2 Logo allows the user to specify their own image and/or text, but it it does, then something like that would be cool. Seeing as how Goldfish Aquarium is still in Beta, it would be quite nice for you to include that kind of feature.

I'm picturing a little plaque (submerged) with a face whose contents can be adjusted in a "Plaque Tab" in the preferences. Type in some text, drag an image here, that kind of thing.

Rock on!
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:13 PM   #4
AKcrab
Registered

Originally posted by johnblommers
It's not clear to me if the Marine Aquarium Time 2 Logo allows the user to specify their own image and/or text, but it it does, then something like that would be cool. Seeing as how Goldfish Aquarium is still in Beta, it would be quite nice for you to include that kind of feature.

I'm picturing a little plaque (submerged) with a face whose contents can be adjusted in a "Plaque Tab" in the preferences. Type in some text, drag an image here, that kind of thing.

Rock on!
The windows version of MA Time allows user created logos. The mac version does not. I'm guessing that the two products will remain separate, Jim may have a definitive answer.
AKcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 06:18 PM   #5
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

MAT2/MAL for Mac will arrive, someday, I hope.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 09-05-2004, 08:50 AM   #6
stinkyFish
Registered

more Mac improvements...

as far as Mac-specific functionality...

i agree that more fine-tuning would be lovely. would it be possible to have a setting to enable FSAA if your graphics card supports it?

rather than cycle through selected tanks, i would like a checkbox (below "cycle...") to randomly select (or start with) a tank when the screen saver kicks in.

the cycling of fish is a little inelegant...i had no idea that setting even existed until i noticed my fish had discovered quantum teleportation and were popping in and out of my screen! perhaps fading out/in of the fish? or replacing them in the same location as their predecessors?

you could also spruce up the "Register" screen a little. it's like a blank canvas
Attached Images
File Type: gif gasample.gif (18.7 KB, 392 views)
stinkyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 09:08 AM   #7
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Re: more Mac improvements...

Originally posted by stinkyFish
as far as Mac-specific functionality...

i agree that more fine-tuning would be lovely. would it be possible to have a setting to enable FSAA if your graphics card supports it?
We are looking into that. It is probably the only new thing (other than fixing the UI to reduce tech support questions) that we are considering at this point.

rather than cycle through selected tanks, i would like a checkbox (below "cycle...") to randomly select (or start with) a tank when the screen saver kicks in.
And maybe this one. Basically, a check box to ignore the currently selected tank a start randomly from one of the checked tanks?
the cycling of fish is a little inelegant...i had no idea that setting even existed until i noticed my fish had discovered quantum teleportation and were popping in and out of my screen! perhaps fading out/in of the fish? or replacing them in the same location as their predecessors?
Would you rather have 25th century fish or ghost fish or shape shifting fish? They all seem pretty scary to me.

you could also spruce up the "Register" screen a little. it's like a blank canvas
No promises. I have to ship this thing SOMEDAY.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
Old 09-05-2004, 10:49 AM   #8
stinkyFish
Registered

Re: Re: more Mac improvements...

Originally posted by JimO'Connor
And maybe this one. Basically, a check box to ignore the currently selected tank a start randomly from one of the checked tanks?
exactly. actually, it wouldn't necessarily exclude the "cycle" check box...if you had both checked, it would start with a random tank and cycle from there.

Would you rather have 25th century fish or ghost fish or shape shifting fish? They all seem pretty scary to me.
i don't know. the "popping" effect freaked me out enough the first time i saw it...
stinkyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 11:30 PM   #9
Polcamilla
Registered

Cool Another enhancement?

Since we're making a wishlist here...

...would it be possible to have a little slider that allows you to control the SIZE of each of the fish? It drives me bonkers that some of them are huge and the 'feeder' fish is so tiny that I worry about him getting lost.

I know it's a nitpick, but looking at uneven fish bugs me.

(P.S. Just thought you'd appreciate knowing that my spouse babysat two girls, aged 4 and 6, the other day that hadn't been over to our house in MONTHS. One of the things they insisted on doing while they were here was watching the fish on the computer!)
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 01:43 AM   #10
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Feeder fish?
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 02:10 AM   #11
AKcrab
Registered

Freida.
AKcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 02:58 AM   #12
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 03:32 AM   #13
drfish
the Doc

...poor Freida... She gets no respect...
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 12:45 PM   #14
johnblommers
The Architect

Folding@Home

Originally posted by drfish
...poor Freida... She gets no respect...
Thanks for the gentle reminder. I have not been diligent in running my Folding@Home program. These dual 2Ghz G5 CPUs might as well do useful work overnight!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg folding@homescreensnapz001.jpg (53.6 KB, 292 views)
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:26 PM   #15
drfish
the Doc

Sweet! Finally, a fellow folder on this forum! I noticed you're not on a team... Care to join 2630? Please?
Old 10-12-2004, 01:39 PM   #16
idchafee
Registered

Sweet! Finally, a fellow folder on this forum! I noticed you're not on a team... Care to join 2630? Please?
Yeah, that would Rule!
idchafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 01:44 PM   #17
drfish
the Doc

You made it! Nice to see you here buddy, welcome to my other home!

(I posted a request in the TR forums for my teammates to help me get John to join our team...)

Edit: BTW, I started this thread some time ago but it didn't get much attention...
Old 10-12-2004, 03:22 PM   #18
johnblommers
The Architect

Team 2630 0wnz!

Thanks for the invitiation to jointeam 2630 of the Folding@Home project. It's nice to be wanted. You now have a dual processor 2Ghz G5 on the team
Attached Images
File Type: jpg folding@homescreensnapz001.jpg (54.7 KB, 254 views)
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:11 PM   #19
drfish
the Doc

w00t, w00t! Thanks! You'll be one of our few Mac folders, glad to have you, I hear those G5s really tear though the work units, it'll be interesting to track your progress... Also, make sure you stop by the forums over there and say hi, great bunch of folks... Oh, and don't go switching to any of those Mac teams on us...
Old 10-12-2004, 05:00 PM   #20
idchafee
Registered

Outstanding! Folding is a great thing, and folding for 2630 is even greater. Stop in our DC forum and talk some trash. We love it! We got this guy named Leor, he can talk it.....
idchafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X