Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 04-09-2005, 10:34 PM   #1
saysaknow2
Registered

Bug: active program closes with MA2

Leaving my computer alone, MA2 comes on. I go back to my computer close MA2 and the last program that I was using closes. It only closes the last active program not any others. This happens to me about half of the time. Anybody else in the same boat?

Moderator's Note: If you are having this problem and have a Microsoft Intellimouse wired/wireless optical/laser mouse, it may be due to an incomplete installation/upgrade of the Microsoft Intellimouse software. Please go to Add/Remove Programs and remove all versions of the Intellimouse drivers. Then navigate to the Program Files folder on your C: drive and delete any folders named Intellimouse. Reboot your computer twice. Now install the latest Intellimouse drivers (version 5.5) from Microsoft's website.

If you continue to have problems, please post a reply to this thread explaining what steps you have taken.

Last edited by feldon34; 03-07-2006 at 12:16 PM.
saysaknow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 03:46 AM   #2
saysaknow2
Registered

Someone had the same problem on Amazon. Here's the review . It's the review second from the bottom.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:08 AM   #3
skypx
Dual Xeon

No problems here. I let MA2 run with Adobe Acrobt 7 running in the background. No problems whatsoever.
Asus Rampage II Extreme|Intel Core i7 965|Corsair Dominator 6G|Western Digital VelociRaptor|Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB|Seagate Barracuda ES.2|EVGA 9800 GX2|LG GGW H20N|Sony BWU 300S|Pioneer DVR-215L|Logitech G9|Dell 3008WFP|Cooler Master Stacker 832|Thermaltake W0133RU
skypx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 02:02 PM   #4
saysaknow2
Registered

I found out what the problem is. MA2 does make other programs stop but it's only when I have a large number of windows open. I am running at 1 gig of RAM. I don't know if this applies to the other versions.

I found another bug. After installing the full version of MA2 and trial version of MA2.01, MA2(full version) acts like a trial version. After closing out of MA2(full version,) the trial version window pops up saying that I can buy the full version. To fix this from happening again, I have to unistall both versions then install MA2(full version) again.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:43 PM   #5
saysaknow2
Registered

Oops. I thought it screwed up only when I had multiple programs running but this problem happened again and I only had my Netscape browser open. In conclusion, my problem isn't fixed.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:27 PM   #6
saysaknow2
Registered

OK! OK! I bet other forum users think I'm crazy but it's true, MA2 does close other programs. However, I have found that other screensavers close programs but only the ones that use a lot of memeory. How can this be? I'm using a Dell XPS?!
Old 04-29-2005, 04:36 PM   #7
AudenTech
Customer Service

What programs do you have in the System Tray, when this occurs?

What is the make and model of your mouse?
Auden Reiter
Customer Service
www.SereneScreen.com
AudenTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 09:24 AM   #8
pac722
Registered

Greetings,

saysaknow2 is NOT crazy! Well, perhaps, like myself, he is now! I love this screensaver, but I am also haunted by the annoying closing of the previously active window when the screensaver exits! This apparent bug does not always close the previously active window and is not unique to particular applications, so replicating this behaviour may prove difficult...

Please resolve this issue, I really enjoy this screensaver and have no desire to change it, however if this issue cannot be resolved I will have no choice...

Kind regards,
^PaC_722^
pac722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:58 AM   #9
pac722
Registered

Greetings,

I believe I have found a workaround for this issue, try disabling the 'Exit on Mouse Move' option in 'Settings'. Due to the nature of this apparent bug, I have not been able to verify this as a definative workaround.

My rationale: With the 'Exit on Mouse Move' option in 'Settings' disabled, and the screensaver activated (not executed as an application), the screensaver will STILL exit on a MOUSE MOVE! My theory is the screensaver exits on a mouse move, but an additional mouse move event is randomly triggered as a result of the 'Exit on Mouse Move' option being enabled. This results in 2 close window requests - one closes the screensaver, the other closes the previously activated window (which regains the focus after the screensaver has been closed). The previously active window definately closes immediately after the screensaver closes, since the previously active window is visible briefly immediately after the screensaver closes before being closed itself.

I could be barking up the wrong tree, and who knows, this workaround may prove false despite appearing to eliminate the apparent bug at this time. I thought I would share my ideas in the hope it provides a solution for others confronted with this issue, provides an insight to the cause of this issue, or at least provides an understanding which could lead to a definative resolution for this issue.

Kinds regards,
^PaC_722^
Old 05-23-2005, 08:58 AM   #10
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Hello pac722, Welcome to the forums buddy.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:08 PM   #11
AudenTech
Customer Service

PaC_722,

What version of MA are you using and where did you purchase it? Also, as above, what programs are in your system tray when the problem occurs?
Auden Reiter
Customer Service
www.SereneScreen.com
Old 05-23-2005, 08:23 PM   #12
pac722
Registered

Greetings AudenTech,

I am currently using Marine Aquarium 2 MD. I purchased the software through a partner website (cannot remember specifically, it was an Australian partner though), however I am using the downloaded version from SereneScreen. The version I originally downloaded as part of my purchase has the same apparent bug which prompted me to download Marine Aquarium 2 and later Marine Aquarium 2 MD, both from SereneScreen, which also have the same apparent bug.

I have been using Marine Aquarium for quite some time with various system configurations, including both ATI and NVIDIA based graphics adaptors supported by the latest reference drivers. I believe the issue is not related to other software running on my computer, and believe that this issue exists with many more users of this screensaver even if these users are unaware of its presence.

I am running Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 2), with the following software in the system tray: Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal, MSN Messenger, WinFast Wizard, Netgear Smart Configuration, Creative Volume Control, DU Meter, InterVideo WinCinema Manager. My graphics card is based on the ATI Radeon 9200SE chipset, and my mouse is a Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0.

I hope this information proves helpful in resolving this issue, and thank you for your assistance :-)

Kindest regards,
^PaC_722^

P.S.: Thank you ESHIREY, I feel very welcome indeed ;-)
Old 05-23-2005, 10:33 PM   #13
feldon34
Forum Administrator

WinFast Wizard is a task manager? I'd suspect it since tasks are closing unexpectedly.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:11 PM   #14
AudenTech
Customer Service

PaC_722,

Step One:
Grab a "wired" mouse and replace your wireless one temporarily. Remember to change out the mouse drivers.

Step Two:
If the above changes nothing, exit, disable or close the following programs in your System Tray:

Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal
MSN Messenger
WinFast Wizard
InterVideo WinCinema Manager

Let's what that gets us.
Auden Reiter
Customer Service
www.SereneScreen.com
Old 05-24-2005, 12:55 AM   #15
pac722
Registered

Greetings AudenTech,

None of the steps you have provided yield a solution to this issue. The steps I outlined in a previous reply continue to provide a solution to this issue (no previously active windows closing as yet since I disabled the 'Exit on Mouse Move' setting)...

Winfast Wizard is NOT a task manager, I have a WinFast TV2000 Expert (a TV and FM tuner adapter), and WinFast Wizard provides easy access to the software for this adapter as well as supporting the use of the remote control...

Kind regdards,
^PaC_722^
Old 05-24-2005, 06:17 PM   #16
AudenTech
Customer Service

Hrm... I've seen this a few times and the solution is different each time.

PaC_722, would you be willing to E-mail me a DirectX report so I can continue to track this issue?
Auden Reiter
Customer Service
www.SereneScreen.com
Old 05-24-2005, 09:58 PM   #17
pac722
Registered

Greetings AudenTech,

Please find attached a DirectX Diagnostics report for your viewing pleasure ;-)

Kind regards,
^PaC_722^
Attached Files
File Type: txt DxDiag.txt (53.1 KB, 50 views)
Old 05-25-2005, 12:17 PM   #18
AudenTech
Customer Service

Thanks. I'll compare this to the others.
Auden Reiter
Customer Service
www.SereneScreen.com
Old 06-03-2005, 02:42 PM   #19
Dale
Banned

I can confirm

This (closing of applications) occurs on my computer, and also on my wife's computer. Hers is a Dell, running WXP Pro, 2.8 GHZ Pentium with 512 MB. Mine is an Intel Motherboard, running WXP Pro, 3.2 GHZ Pentium with 1 GB memory. Both have recently been completely re-installed with WXP Pro (within the last month), including all updates and service packs, etc. As previously reported, the application that may be closed seems to be the application that had focus when the screensaver activated. Disabling "mouse move" seems to make the problem go away, but that's unacceptable (my wife's keyboard is hidden in a drawer and she seldom uses it).
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:46 PM   #20
Dale
Banned

PERHAPS a solution

I may have discovered a solution to this. Are those folks having trouble using version 2.01? (V2-MD)? If so, try downloading the latest version of 2.0 (the file is 1,363,095 bytes, and is named MAquarium-V2.exe), Uninstall V2-MD, and then install V2.

That seems to (perhaps) have fixed the problem for me.

NOTE: There was at least one earlier version called V2.0, with a file named MAquarium-V2.exe, that was 1,250,868 bytes. That's not the one I used. For all I know, there may have been other versions called V2.0 with different code. Please pardon me for saying that having different "versions" with the same name is not a really good way to keep track of changes, and solve problems.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive