Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 10-04-2001, 07:06 PM   #1
Darkfalz
Banned

Power Consumption

Quick question:

What consumes more power, a PC operating with a 17" monitor and powered speakers running the aquarium

or

A mid sized aquarium with a water pump, heater and light.

Just wondering?
Darkfalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 09:37 PM   #2
Coelacanth
Thought to be Extinct

Re: Power Consumption

Especially if you're talking about a reef aquarium like the Sachs one (and almost definitely even if you're not talking about a reef one), the reef tank will consume WAAAAAYYYY more power than a PC. The PC is not even close. The electrical draw of the lighting system alone is enough to power a bunch of PCs. You're talking power compact flourescents or 175w metal halide lights. Metal halides burn bright and hot. Plus the skimmer, the main water pump, various internal pumps for current, the heaters (yes I said heaters plural; you want to be redundant), and if you get a chiller (which is basically a small refrigerator)....you get the picture.

I've talked to several reef aquarium owners that have had to give up the hobby because of the electricity price hikes in CA. And one guy that had a 400 gallon tank was almost matching the gallon capacity of his tank (400) per month in electricity bills. Ouch.
Coelacanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive