Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 08-25-2002, 06:09 PM   #1
ohairy1

Bug in Beta?

The Mac is the iBook 700; OS 9.2.2; 640 MB RAM (VM off).
MA v0.997b
2/3rds of the time, the Mac crashes coming out of the screen saver mode.

Also, when launching screen saver mode from a hot corner, about 2/3 of the time I get full screen but with the menu bar showing. The rest of the time I get true full screen.

I don't know if it's supposed to be in general release yet. I got it via VersionTracker on 8/22 or 23. I note a lower frame rate than I get in OS 10.1.5: 59 fps in 9.2.2 and 76 fps in X.
Old 08-25-2002, 06:48 PM   #2
ohairy1

Quits with error

I just ran it in 9 again as screen saver. Again, the menu bar showed. But coming out of screen saver, I didn't crash the Mac (when it does, it's time for a forced restart) but did get an error message: Marine Aquarium 0.997 quit: an error of type 2 occurred.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:48 PM   #3
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

Can we get an Apple System Profiler report from you on your system hardware, devices, and extensions? We've been unable to repro any crashes, so we are very interested in this. Thanks.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 08:05 AM   #4
ohairy1

Where do I send it?

Be happy to send a system report--where to?

The iBook is almost virgin. No externals; bto 30 GB drive and added 512 MB RAM. Not much software on it.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:31 AM   #5
ohairy1

Angry All's well that ends well

Sorry for the turkey shoot, folks. Turns out either the Marine Aquarium application or its preference file was corrupt, leading to the crashing, presence of the menu bar, odd screen flashing going into and out of screen saver mode...

This became apparent as I tried to do an extensions conflict test and symptoms changed and culprits grew in number. I finally decided to do a clean installation of MA--and that solved all of it.

But I am still surprised that the OS 9 version runs so many frames per second slower than the X version under 10.1.5. Almost everything I can think of runs faster in 9 than in X!
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive