Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 12-04-2007, 07:31 PM   #881
Jim Sachs
Developer

The fish haven't changed yet. They appear slightly smaller, because the camera is farther away, and there's no lighting in the scene, so they look "smoother" than they should.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:31 AM   #882
chimmy
Registered

Thumbs Up Beta testing / x64 testing

Glad to hear that development is going well. I haven't seen any posts on how to sign up for beta testing. I'm a tester by nature and by profession. I'd love to give the beta a few turns on WinXP x64. 2.6 works pretty good.

I'll keep watching for the forums. Let me know if there is any testing I can help out with.

And of course, Keep up the great work!

Thanks,

Chimmy
chimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:42 AM   #883
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

We already have a set group of testers that have been working with us for a long time. I doubt that any new ones will be added, but thanks for the interest.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #884
Jim Sachs
Developer

Chimmy - We'll let you know. I think we may already have some 64-bit XP users out there. What we could probably use is a 64-bit Vista user with patience and communication skills. So far, most of those who have written to us seem to have serious mental problems. (This isn't meant to be a statement about Vista64 users in general, just the ones who have written to us )
Jim Sachs
Old 12-05-2007, 11:56 AM   #885
jleslie
Engineer

As a throw-back to an earlier part of the discussion... Jim have you every played with ZBrush and exporting normals from there? I ask as I just, purely coincidentally, ran across someone talking about that today. I have no idea if it'd be relevant to you (they were using a tool called zmapper with zbrush), but it is designed to export stuff for games, presumably meaning direct-x?
John
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:36 PM   #886
Jim Sachs
Developer

No, I haven't heard of it, but I'll take a look.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-06-2007, 04:04 AM   #887
chimmy
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Chimmy - We'll let you know. I think we may already have some 64-bit XP users out there. What we could probably use is a 64-bit Vista user with patience and communication skills. So far, most of those who have written to us seem to have serious mental problems. (This isn't meant to be a statement about Vista64 users in general, just the ones who have written to us )  
I have an extra HD I can pop in and get a Vista x64 w/SLI install going. I'm in the software development field so I fully understand the time it takes investigating issues and clearly communicating them.

Even if you don't have anything specific I'm sure I can come up with a few good ideas that might break it

Thanks,

Chimmy
chimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:03 PM   #889
Highlander
Registered

I have a new quad Vista x64 machine geforce 8800 gtx
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups !
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #890
Jim Sachs
Developer

I'll be off the grid for a week starting Monday. Going down to Belize...to do research for new programs. Yeah, that's it, research.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #891
johnblommers
The Architect

....What we could probably use is a 64-bit Vista user with patience and communication skills. So far, most of those who have written to us seem to have serious mental problems. (This isn't meant to be a statement about Vista64 users in general, just the ones who have written to us )  
I was going to say, where can you find a Vista user anywhere on the planet that still has any patience left? I know four guys who have tried Vista and only one of them is too stubborn to go back to XP.

Fortunately the experience has not effected their communications skills and they are recovering nicely. They are now able to receive short visits from friends and family.
Reasons people don't watch Star Trek:
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
01% - My parents were killed by Klingons and it's still too painful.
johnblommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #892
bugsymcd24
PC Professional

Hey now, wait a minute... I am using Vista here at home and at work, i am a network admin.. i love Vista, there are a few querky things about it but I think it is a great operating system... really.
I use to skinny dip, now I chunky dunk!
bugsymcd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:05 PM   #893
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

No worries, Bugsy. It wouldn't matter if Vista was twice as good and cost half - it would still be considered the definition of evil to Blommers.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:38 PM   #894
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I bought an HP laptop in October, wiped it, and put XP. It's heaven.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #895
Edgar
Prolific/SereneScreen Developer

1 Highscore

I have Vista and I also don't like it. For testing purposes, I am keeping it as Vista but I turned off all the annoying supposedly automatic protection to make it simpler on me.
I also turned off all the graphic bells and whistles that slows down my computing experience. It still have some annoying features left that are difficult to control and I can't turn off.
Nothing is simple with Vista in my experience so far.
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:55 PM   #896
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Edgar thats sounds pretty much like every report I hear about Vista. For every one that says they think its ok, there are 100 that feel the same way you do. Personally I haven't actually sat down and tried it yet, but with all those comments I'm not in a hurry to either.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #897
vochore
Registered

Originally posted by Edgar:
I have Vista and I also don't like it. For testing purposes, I am keeping it as Vista but I turned off all the annoying supposedly automatic protection to make it simpler on me.
I also turned off all the graphic bells and whistles that slows down my computing experience. It still have some annoying features left that are difficult to control and I can't turn off.
Nothing is simple with Vista in my experience so far.  
edgar....if your looking at turning off the junk in vista that slows things down you might want to check out this website...iv used his info on xp for several years now and its a big help on speeding things up.

http://www.blackviper.com/
vochore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #898
johnblommers
The Architect

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle:
No worries, Bugsy. It wouldn't matter if Vista was twice as good and cost half - it would still be considered the definition of evil to Blommers.  
Tiny Turtle, you wound me! Vista could be 10x better and cost 1/10 and I'd still define it as evil

However the chorus of posts here suggests that the Vista we have is pretty much a disappointment. Just ask a Vista user to indicate JUST ONE compelling benefit of Vista and they will be stumped. After a minute they will parrot back some marketing talking point (no doubt "security") and then retract it hastily.

The great crime here is that Vista puts developers at risk. Develop for Vista or for XP? I hate to think that Jim Sachs wastes valuable resources developing for Vista if he could put out MA 4.0 a year sooner. Given the serious application compatibility problems with Vista, this is a big issue.

This goes way beyond johnblommers hating Microsoft. Vista is hurting people and giving computing a bad name. And that's a problem.
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:08 PM   #899
johnblommers
The Architect

Originally posted by bugsymcd24:
Hey now, wait a minute... I am using Vista here at home and at work, i am a network admin.. i love Vista, there are a few querky things about it but I think it is a great operating system... really.  
Hey Bugsy , thanks for your positive post. So, seriously, what is it about Vista that works for you? What are the #1, #2, #3 and #4 great things that should compel a Windows XP user to upgrade to Vista?

For Mac OS X Leopard it's really easy:
#1 is Time Machine.
#2 is Spaces.
#3 is QuickLook
#4 is compatibility (no radical user interface changes, speed is the same as Tiger, and general application compatibility)
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.

Last edited by johnblommers; 12-07-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #900
Wizwad
Only me...

JB: would that be compelling reasons for an XP/W2K user to upgrade to Leopard? 'Cos all I heard was babble, babble, babble...
(Sorry JB, couldn't resist, this is the response I get from my first ex girlfriend whenever I talk IT in any way, shape or form!)
(Oh, and Tiny - in this case there are *other* reasons why she is Ex. Still friends, though!)
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive