Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive
Notices

Old 11-30-2002, 09:40 PM   #1
HIMROID
Registered

How do I grab a screen shot of my screen saver in action?

I've seen a few screen shots here in the forum, and I was wondering how to pull it off?
HIMROID
HIMROID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 09:50 PM   #2
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

The easiest way is to hit the "Print Screen" button while its running. Then you can go to the program of your choice, depending on what you have, and paste it there and then work with it. If you have something like Photoshop, there are tons of things that you can do, if not you can use something like Paint.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 09:52 PM   #3
HIMROID
Registered

Screen Shot?

I am using a Mac - there is no print screen button on my keyboard....

HIMROID
Old 11-30-2002, 09:59 PM   #4
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

OOOps, my bad. I failed to look at the heading and was used to answering posts about Windows OS's. Having never fooled much with Mac's, you have me at a disadvantage on this one. I would think that there should be some "capture" method that would accomplish the same thing. Feldon works with Mac's on occassion, so he should have a definate solution for you if you can't find one. But, hopefully the basic process should be the same.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 10:06 PM   #5
HIMROID
Registered

Thanks again...

Thanks again, so far your customer service is better than companies who's software I have paid 10 times as much for...awesome product, awesome support. You folks have made my day!

TWO THUMBS UP!
HIMROID
Old 11-30-2002, 10:53 PM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I guess if you are really quick with your fingers, you can try to use the universal Mac screen capture keyboard shortcut (dunno if this works on Mac OS X):

Command ()-Shift-3

It will dump a screen snapshot named "Picture 1" at the root of your main hard drive.

Assuming this keyboard shortcut works on Mac OS X, if you press it fast enough maybe you'll get a shot before the Aquarium exits.

I think if your turn off "Exit on Mouse Move" this also prevents stray keypresses from closing the Aquarium (only Esc or Q works). You might also have better success running the Aquarium in a large window instead of fullscreen when trying to take a snapshot.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 11-30-2002 at 10:57 PM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 10:59 PM   #7
HIMROID
Registered

Command and 3 won't do it either...

That ordinarily works for screen captures, but unfortunately it immediately disables the screen saver and snaps a pic of my desktop...thanks though - I think a time delayed Applescript might do the job if I can figure out how to build a delay in for the saver to run first....not that this is a critical necessity - I just thought I could make some of my email pals jealous...

HIMROID
Old 12-01-2002, 09:55 AM   #8
mrtew
Registered

You can't capture the screensaver or the app in full screen in OSX, I don't think, but you can capture the app in a window by pressing Apple/Shift-4 and then drawing a square around it with the mouse. Or the new way of capturing a window is to press Apple/Shift-4 and then the space bar. Your cursor will become a big camera icon that will then capture whichever window you click on. Or you can capture almost full screen by running the MA saver on the desktop using Backlight or Xback and then pressing Apple/Shift-3 to capture the whole screen. It'll be really clean if you get all the stuff of your desktop first and hide the dock. Then you'll only see the menubar (which will be hidden underneath the real menubar if you want to later use the capture as a desktop wallpaper.) On the other hand, Marine Aquarium inexplicably it seems looks about 3 times as clear and sharp in OS9 where you CAN capure if fullscreen with Apple/Shift-4 so if you are really trying to impress someone reboot in 9.2 for the job! Too much information?
mrtew
mrtew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 10:01 PM   #9
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

The Grab utility can do delayed captures. I don't know if it works for screen savers, but it SHOULD.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 10:32 PM   #10
mrtew
Registered

Originally posted by JimO'Connor
The Grab utility can do delayed captures. I don't know if it works for screen savers, but it SHOULD.
Nope, it doesn't 'grab' savers.
mrtew
Old 12-03-2002, 05:15 PM   #11
HIMROID
Registered

Exclamation Solution! (kinda sorta...)

By using a little app called "Backlight", You can run the saver on the desktop and grab a screen shot from there. I moved all of my icons off the desktop (a little bit of a trick in itself) and snapped a shot. Very cool. Backlight is also very cool, check it out at Macupdate.com.

Thanks everyone for the assist/info...
HIMROID
Old 12-03-2002, 06:21 PM   #12
mrtew
Registered

Re: Solution! (kinda sorta...)

Originally posted by mrtew
.... you can capture almost full screen by running the saver on the desktop using Backlight or Xback and then pressing Apple/Shift-3 to capture the whole screen. It'll be really clean if you get all the stuff of your desktop first and hide the dock....
Originally posted by HIMROID
By using a little app called "Backlight", You can run the saver on the desktop and grab a screen shot from there. I moved all of my icons off the desktop (a little bit of a trick in itself) and snapped a shot.
Wow! I wish I'd thought of that! :-]
mrtew
Old 12-07-2002, 08:46 PM   #13
HIMROID
Registered

Smile OK, ya got me...

Ooops, musta missed yer post - sorry dude...

(Duh)

HIMROID
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X > Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive