Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 09-23-2001, 12:39 AM   #1
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Detonator XP drivers

Has anyone tried the new nVidia DetXP drivers (21.81)? I've heard mixed results from the few people that I know that tried them. Mostly that these drivers tend to slow their systems down noticably.

- DL
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 03:15 AM   #2
multivitamin
Registered

Re: Detonator XP drivers

If you own a geforce 3 based card your system will speed up al lot! I had about 5900 with 3D Mark 2001 and Det. 14.70, now I have about 6500 with Det 21.81. So if you own a GF3 go get it! If not I don't know!´

And for the stats:

my system

athlon tb c 1,4GHz
512 MB DDR ram
ASUS V8200 Deluxe
MSI K7 Master
www.MULTIVITAMIN-GRAPHICS.de - Und Dein Auge HAT ein Zuhause (For all the Germans here )
multivitamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 10:41 AM   #3

I have the latest 21.81 driver for my Geoforce 3 card and it works great, giving somewhat of an increase in speed.

When I first installed them however I had a bit of a problem. The aquarium screensaver went from 60 Fps with the old driver to 28 Fps. Eventually I discovered that by changing my settings from “Quincunx Antialiasing” to “Allow applications to control the antialiasing mode” it went back up to 60 Fps.

Then later I found that I could get eliminate the refresh rate being locked at 60 Fps (on both the old and new drivers) by running the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. To start it go to Start | Run | dxdiag | More Help | Override… and change the setting. After doing that the refresh rate jumped to my monitor refresh rate of 75 Fps @ 1280x1024 (vertical sync on). In windowed mode I get 182 Fps @ 1280x953x16 or 133 Fps @ 1280x953x32. (Athlon 1.4 processor)

Once you get it set right the new driver should give a significant increase in speed.
Old 09-23-2001, 01:04 PM   #4
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

For those interested, there is an article about the Det. 4 drivers located here www.anandtech.com/video/s...tml?i=1516 I haven't personally tested these yet, so I don't have any first hand experience to pass along. So far, I have settled on the 12.90 series of drivers that I run with my GF 2 Ultra.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 02:45 PM   #5
Jigapoofy
Registered

Detonator XP drivers

Hello,
I'm testing the 21.81 drivers on my geforce 2mx. They are pretty much the same as the previous ones for me. The only problem I have is that all the programs that I have used, say X-Isle, has a problem with the water. It flickers when it touches land. Why does it do that? Z-buffer problem?
AMD 950
geforce 2mx
21.81 drivers
-Jigapoofy
Jigapoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 09:50 PM   #6

I've been using the 21.81 drivers since they were released. Previously, was using 12.41 WHQL.

My system:
PIII 1GHz
256M PC-133 SDRAM
GeForce 2 GTS 32Mb

There is almost no difference in the frame-rate, either for the screensaver, or for any games (Half-life, Sacrifice, Max Payne, etc).

On a side-note, I just installed the lastest VIA4-in-1 drivers yesterday, and that has improved performance a little. Now I get 160+ fps in the SS, rather than the old 140+ fps. However, image quality and stuff is the same.

I guess you only really get an increase in performance if you have got a GF3.
Old 09-24-2001, 02:15 PM   #7
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

RE: Detonator XP drivers

Thanks everyone,

I appreciate all the feedback. Normally I update my drivers when a new version is available, I just wanted to make sure there were nothing negative being experienced with this version before I did.

My Specs:

PII 450MHz (OC'd to 504)
192MB PC100 SDRAM
LeadTech Winfast GeForce 2 Pro DDR 32
12.41 drivers

Jigapoofy,

With regards to X-Isle, that's still in development unless I'm mistaken, so are you using the demo version? I have it installed and I must admit I'm very impressed with what it can do. Even though it's meant to showcase what the xBox or PC w/GeForce 3 can do, it runs perfectly on my system with the GeForce 2 Pro. I'm definately looking forward to it's release. Oh and by the way, did you find the cheat code that allows you to go anywhere you want on the island? If not, let me know and I'll pass it on.

- DL
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Old 09-25-2001, 12:29 AM   #8
Jigapoofy
Registered

Detonator XP drivers

I only have the demo version. What cheat code? I don't need a cheat code to explore the island. Maybe that's because it's the demo?
-Jigapoofy
Old 09-26-2001, 02:31 PM   #9
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Detonator XP drivers

You can freely move about, anywhere you want without having to enter a code? That's strange, really. I know under normal circumstances it will follow a path and give you a tour of the island.

Hmmm, when did you download the demo? I'm wondering if maybe they have a newer version with the cheat codes enabled so people don't have to go searching for them.

- DL
Steve
Old 09-27-2001, 12:17 AM   #10
Jigapoofy
Registered

Detonator XP drivers

I downloaded the X-Isle program about 4 days ago from Demonews. I can use the mouse to turn the camera. The first mouse button is to jump and the second is for walking.
-Jigapoofy
Old 09-27-2001, 12:37 PM   #11
multivitamin
Registered

The demo I have has a Pull-Down-menu where you can choose different scenarios! One automated flying demo, one walking on paths, 2 scenarios for demonstrating reflection and refraction and one educational demo! The educational demo allows to move freely within the whole enviroment! Does anyone got another demo than this?
www.MULTIVITAMIN-GRAPHICS.de - Und Dein Auge HAT ein Zuhause (For all the Germans here )
multivitamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 03:34 PM   #12
almark
Registered

XP drivers

I found that these drivers cuased internet access to fail on XP (2600). I re-installed/ uninstalled a few times.
best regards,
A l m a r k
almark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 12:30 PM   #13
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

They only thing I got was a better score in 3DMark2001. It was a few hundred points more which means a minimal gain in real world games.

My system:
WindowsXP ( I know I could wait)
DX 8.1
PIII 1GHz
Asus A7V-133
256M PC-133 SDRAM
Visiontek GeForce3

Wish my birthday was now then my girlfriend could have boughten the GeForce3 Ti 500 for the same price instead of this one. Performance gain is minimal with thew new card but if it costs the same price...
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive