Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 12-09-2004, 09:52 AM   #1
dankirk
Registered

Is this normal?

I just bought a widescreen LCD monitor (Dell 2055 fpw). I am running MA Time 2 at my systems resolution of 1680 X 1050. The fish look crystal clear (and beautiful), but the background appears pixelated, especially when I get close to the screen. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?
dankirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 10:03 AM   #2
drfish
the Doc

The backgroud image was designed with 1024x768 in mind, very high for the time... MA2 MD will help you out, but I'm afraid that Time doesn't have what you want yet...
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 10:36 AM   #3
feldon34
Forum Administrator

MA2 MD has a 1280 x 1024 background.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 10:58 AM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

Some card/monitor combinations do a less then ideal job of stretching a screen. They are supposed to interpolate colors between pixels to fill in intermediate data, but I've seen a few which don't. The picture should be slightly blurry when viewed closely in super-hi-res, but not pixilated. That's how it works on all my computers, but I was in a store a few months ago and saw an instance where the background had very noticeable pixels.

By the way, I finally got tired of the arcing and zapping inside my old monitor and yesterday I bought a new Sony SDM-HX93 TFT 19-inch flatscreen monitor. It's currently on sale for a $150 discount at CompUSA, and has a spectacular picture. It also has built-in speakers. My local CompUSA (OK, it's 35 miles away) has been using MA to compare the whole wall of monitors for the past couple of years, and it sure does show the difference between brands and models.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:22 AM   #5
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

Jim, I knwo someone who has that monitor. It does look VERY good. A bit of a glare on it at their house, but still looks great.

I am still waiting for a 19" 1280x960, 16ms, High Contrast (800:1 +) monitor. I am beginning to think that this will never happen.
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:26 AM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Softening the texture is a case of Anisotropic Filtering, no?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 12-09-2004, 11:42 AM   #7
Sergiales
Software Engineer

I have a 17" BenQ TFT monitor and i'm seriously thinking on going back to a CRT monitor.
The native (and max) resolution is 1280x1024. Lower resolutions are useless due to the pixelated effect. That's the nature of a TFT monitor anyway.
One of my sisters has my old Sony 200ES Trinitron, and that's quality!.

If you're an image enthusiast or proffessional, a CRT monitor is for you.
Sincerely,
Sergio.
Sergiales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:25 PM   #8
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

I agree. I will not run at less than 1600 x 1200 and there are only a few that will run at that res., and they are still to high priced to make it worth my effort. I can get a larger CRT that will run even higher for less money with better quality.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:59 PM   #9
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Hm, been thinking a little over here.

If the background was originally designed for 1280x1024 which is a 5:4 ratio, wouldn't this imply that it would appear somewhat stretched on a 1024x768, 1600x1200 or any other 4:3 ratio monitor? Or am I overlooking something?

One of the first bugfixes after I got aboard this whole thing was a fix for the 1280x1024 resolution which caused the fish to turn a little incorrectly at the sides. .99F was it?

/Tiny Nostalgia

P.S.
Sergio,
Here's the monitor Linda uses with her G5. I assure you it's most decidedly for professionals (which might explain the $2600 pricetag.)
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 01:43 PM   #10
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I was mistaken. The regular background is 1024 x 768. The 16:9 background is 1280 x 768. It is perfectly sized for all 4:3 monitors and 16:9 monitors.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:44 AM   #11
Jim Sachs
Developer

Dankirk - Try setting the Aquarium to 1024x768 instead of Desktop Resolution. The fish will be slightly blurrier, but the background should not be pixellated.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 05:43 PM   #12
dankirk
Registered

Thank you. I also turned on my anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering and it helped alot. This screen-saver is really a work of art. My 2-year old daughter loves it, she is a HUGE Finding Nemo fan. The fish seem so real.
dankirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive