Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 09-12-2001, 12:44 PM   #1
feldon34
Forum Administrator

3Dfx and Windows XP

Can anyone confirm that 3Dfx cards are not fully supported under Windows XP?

www.petitiononline.com/vo...ition.html
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2001, 01:50 PM   #2

3Dfx and Windows XP

From www.microsoft.com/hcl - the following have drivers built-in to Windows XP. Many others are certified with WIndows 2000, and it is possible that the Windows 2000 drivers would work on WinXP.

Display 3DFx Voodoo3 2000 [PCI]
Display 3DFx Voodoo3 2000 AGP [AGP]
Display 3DFx Voodoo3 3000 [AGP]
Display 3DFx Voodoo3 3000 [PCI]
Display 3DFx Voodoo3 3000 AGP [AGP]
Display 3DFx Voodoo3 3500 TV [AGP]
Display 3DFx Voodoo4 4500 [PCI]
Display 3DFx Voodoo4 4500 AGP [AGP]
Display 3DFx Voodoo5 5500 [PCI]
Display 3DFx Voodoo5 5500 AGP [AGP]
Old 09-12-2001, 02:02 PM   #3
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Re: 3Dfx and Windows XP

Great, that covers the mid to high end 3dfx cards, but what about the Voodoo 2 (model 1000) boards? I still own dual 12MB Voodoo 2s in SLI for my GLIDE games running along side my Leadtek Winfast GeForce 2 Pro DDR. Any word on drivers for those?

- DL
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2001, 09:14 PM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The petition states that OpenGL and GLIDE are not supported in any current 3Dfx cards on Windows XP. This is hundreds of games including such standards as Quake and Quake 2.

I'm looking for confirmation of this.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 09-13-2001, 10:04 AM   #5

My advice: If you're planning on upgrading to XP, do not use a 3DFX card! 3DFX has been out of business for almost two years right now, thus no driver support is available for any of their cards. You would be far better off with a new video card. Any of the cards by ATI, Matrox, or NVidia will do. Personally, I prefer video cards with the NVidia chipset. . . the GeForce 3 is an excellent card and worth the money!

This is coming from someone who used to use a 3DFX Voodoo 3. The 3DFX cards are old, folks. . . really old! Time to retire them for good!

L8R!

Bravado
Old 09-13-2001, 12:06 PM   #6
Jim Sachs
Developer

3Dfx was bought by nVidia a little less than a year ago. One of their last projects was to fix a driver problem which caused textures to come out white in Win2000. Apparently this fix did not make it into the default drivers included with WinXP.

My suggestion (though I haven't actually tried this) would be to find a site with the latest VooDoo Win2000 drivers (VooDooFiles.com lists many such sites), and install them AFTER installing DX8.1 or XP.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 12:10 PM   #7

I guess I'll stick to Windows 98lite then. I've got a number of indispensible games that use Glide (and even run on Glide in DOS mode only). I remain fiercely loyal to my Voodoo SLI rig and, for many purposes, prefer it to my GeForce2 GTS. Although I must concede that the Sachs Aquarium looks the business at 1600x1200 and well over 100fps on my 19" monitor on the GeForce!

So I for one hope that I don't get shut out by Microsoft if they make DirectX incompatible with earlier operating systems! I suppose I'd then have to devote a separate PC to "legacy" purposes and would then probably spend most of my time on that system.
Old 09-19-2001, 08:55 AM   #8

3Dfx and Windows XP

I'm pretty sure that this won't help any of you with dual Voodoo2 SLI setups, but there is hope out there for Voodoo3 users.

Whilst the Voodoo3 drivers which come with WinXP don't have Glide or OpenGL support, there are some independent driver producers out there who have come up with a set which do. You can get them from www.voodoofiles.com/s/3dfxdrivers

I've tried them out on the final (build 2600) version of XP and they are pretty stable and have worked fine with a range of games using Glide and OpenGL (Unreal Tournament, Max Payne, Homeworld, Undying, Revolt). The only problems have been when alt-tabbing out of and back into older games such as Revolt which have ended up with a lock-up or Blue Screen of Death.

Hope this helps you all

Selekt0r
Old 10-31-2001, 12:07 AM   #9

Has anyone gotten a Voodoo2 or Voodoo2 SLI to work under XP? I worry that my Obsidian X24 will not work under XP.
Old 10-31-2001, 07:48 PM   #10

Re: Re: 3Dfx and Windows XP

dont get lured into buying a crap nvidia card when 3dfx cards work just fine, including all api's glide,opengl, and d3d. of course these drivers are beta, they work fine.

link: nat.mine.nu:81/3dfx/

your welcome all of you voodoo card holders using xp.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:53 PM   #11
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: Re: 3Dfx and Windows XP

I wasn't aware that nVidia cards were crap. Let's try to keep things balanced here.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive