Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-07-2003, 03:54 AM   #21
Reichart
CTO Prolific Publishing

5 Fish.

These are done by an Artist who I found about 8 years ago, and trained to use the computer. He is very respectful of Jim's style, and Jim approved all of his work. Think of him has a back-up singer.

We tried to stay away from the wishlist here on the forum. One of the fish Ken did is now my favorite, it is a Squarespot. Everyone has their favorites, for some reason, this one just makes the tank even more real for me.
Reichart... , CTO, Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Come visit us Prolific Publishing, Inc.

Last edited by feldon34; 03-07-2003 at 01:14 PM.
Reichart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 05:03 AM   #22
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Reichart,
The Squarespot you mentioned:

Would that be the Squarespot Anthias (Pseudanthias pleurotaenia) or the Squarespot Rockfish (Sebastes hopkinsi)?

/Tiny Spot
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 05:23 AM   #23
Reichart
CTO Prolific Publishing

Anthias

Anthias

Here is my favorite pic of it on the web: http://www.mbayaq.org/efc/living_spe....asp?inhab=422

Ours is actually BETTER in my opinion.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:09 AM   #24
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Sweet! – Don't tell me anything more now

Tiny Square
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 09:14 AM   #25
bullfrog
Registered

I use the widescreen version, will there be a version 2.0 widescreen or will there be a single version that will support both scenarios?

Tom
bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 09:23 AM   #26
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Bullfrog,

The end result will be one version that supports everything. Let me see if I can clairify things:

Right now we have the standard version, the widescreen version, and the time version. All these products will meld into 1 product in the future. When the new 3D background gets made for the standard version, it will be twice as wide as it is now. In the setting's there will be an option for camera panning. What this means is that your monitor will be like a moving window that slowly travels left and right looking into the aquarium. For people with a standard monitor you will see about half of the aquarium at any given time, for widescreen monitors you will be able to see about 3/4's of the aquarium at any given time. Both will have some panning to do to see the whole thing. That takes care of the standard and widescreen versions. For people who also want to take advantage of the time version, you will be able to enter another key code, specificially for the time options to unlock them and be able to access them also and turn the crystal on and off.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 10:17 AM   #27
IXNAY
Green Frog

Cool, profilic gets a lot of work done (goldfish, flag, ma2.0).

I like to hear that new fish are included (that Redfin Butterfly looks geat), and that they are done by profilic so we can get more fish and maybe other things. Jim has so much work, the support gets jim less work and more fish for us. JIIIIHA

Ehm, just a question Jim, but what were if fans would make fish, and give them to you completely for free, and if they are good enough, is there a chance that they will be included in one of the next versions? Just an idea...
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 10:37 AM   #28
Jim Sachs
Developer

Probably not. Unless a fish is done by a Prolific employee, the legal ramifications are just too scary. Yeah, I know -- contracts and all that. But a huge number of court cases are brought against people who thought they had an iron-clad contract. Where a large amount of money is concerned, lawyers will always find some argument why the contract wasn't valid. "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, my client can't be held responsible for signing a contract when he was drunk."

But seriously, getting tied up in court is my number one fear in life. Win or lose, you lose. You spend your few precious hours on Earth in court instead of doing what you like. Ask Reichart, he's been through this. He won, but what a miserable experience.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 10:47 AM   #29
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

".. and if they are good enoug .." - that's the point!
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 10:55 AM   #30
IXNAY
Green Frog

Hehe ok, thanks for the reply

Yellow Tang I have seen great things done by fans, look at all this modifications done for Half-Life or Quake some of them are really really good, and if Jim would sort out,... ehm forget it
Hey we could talk german
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 01:02 PM   #31
feldon34
Forum Administrator

IXNay said:

Ehm, just a question Jim, but what were if fans would make fish, and give them to you completely for free, and if they are good enough, is there a chance that they will be included in one of the next versions? Just an idea...
Any questions about other people making fish should be referred to Prolific. And Reichart has informed me that Prolific is not interested in "free" help. They would rather subcontract talented people and get everything on paper so there are minimal/no legal hassles.

Jim Sachs said:
Unless a fish is done by a Prolific employee, the legal ramifications are just too scary.
Light bulb going on...

IXNay said:
Yellow Tang I have seen great things done by fans, look at all this modifications done for Half-Life or Quake some of them are really really good, and if Jim would sort out,... ehm forget it
Bringing these things up to Jim is a dead-end. Sort of like asking the President if you can help him write laws. But if you go thru the proper channels and become a congressman, then there you go. Hopefully you don't have to kiss too much, erm, well, to get elected and involved.

IXNAY said:
have seen great things done by fans, look at all this modifications done for Half-Life or Quake some of them are really really good, and if Jim would sort out,... ehm forget it
Well, it's one thing if people make their own fish and leak them out, but there is too much respect and goodwill towards Jim for anything like to be successful or more than a fringe. Even if someone unofficially came out with a dozen AWESOME fish, how many people here wouldn't touch it because of their respect for Jim?

Also, Half-Life, Quake, etc. 95% of the modifications are maybe 30 minutes to 1 hour's work and then the person gets tired of working on it, uploads it, and says "look at my cool mod d00dz!" Then there's 5% who really work at it and 1% who put out something that's as good as what the original game designers came up with.

Thank God for sites like PlanetQuake, etc. (I haven't kept up-to-date on these) that skim thru the crap and give clear ratings/lists of which mods are the best.

Look at the Russian hacks. They have been putting out those versions for over a year now. They're just NOW starting to get somewhat palatable (that can't be spelled right).
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 03-07-2003 at 01:19 PM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 01:10 PM   #32
feldon34
Forum Administrator

bullfrog said:
I use the widescreen version, will there be a version 2.0 widescreen or will there be a single version that will support both scenarios?
Things seem to be changing around pretty quickly.

Originally, I was supposed to get a dual monitor-aware test version of the Aquarium. Now it looks like MA 2.0 is going to hit first.

As Michael said, eventually when the 3D background is done, then regular, widescreen, and dual monitors will all be 1 version of the Aquarium. Each person will just have a different 'window' on the Aquarium, viewing 50%, 70%, or 100% of the 3D background at any one time with buttons to pan, lock, and control the panning speed of the "camera". (you will NOT be able to move the camera up and down or pivot it)

But in the meantime, it is probably a tough decision whether to have one download with both the widescreen 2D/flat background and the regular 2D/flat background. The regular coral is 353KB. Not sure how big the widescreen coral is, but this would increase the file size by probably 400KB for everyone.

That doesn't sound like much until you think about 300,000 people a month downloading the demo and let's say only .2% of them have a widescreen display. So that's 299,400 downloading 400KB extra, or 114.21 GB per month that they really don't need.

So I'm guessing that Widescreen won't be folded into MA2.0 just yet.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 03-07-2003, 01:40 PM   #33
Reichart
CTO Prolific Publishing

Dual

And use those same numbers for Dual monitor.

We found 4 bugs last night in Windows OS that makes Dual monitor almost impossible for us to support correctly. We are talking directly to M$ about this.

Their response "Why do you care, we don't" (paraphrased).
Old 03-07-2003, 02:03 PM   #34
bullfrog
Registered

OK..lots of info, so let me see if I really understand what you guys are saying. MA 2.0 will NOT support widescreen, I will have to wait until the 3D background is implemented, or there will be a 2.0 widescreen available like the last version I acquired (a seperate file from Morgan).

Tom
bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 02:19 PM   #35
Reichart
CTO Prolific Publishing

2.0 and Wide

2.0 will support Widescreen, as will MAT, but it will always come out a few days after we go gold on the normal version.

One day we will build the two together, or when the BG goes 3D this will no longer be a seperate version.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:17 PM   #36
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I did not mean to imply that dual monitor and widescreen versions were not coming! Only that the release schedule for them is not quite certain. It sounds like a widescreen ver will hit a few days later. Widescreen won't be bundled with the regular 2.0 version for the reasons I wrote about earlier.

I WILL be putting a prominent Widescreen link on the Fan site and sending out an e-mail to about 150 Widescreen users when the wide version of MA 2 hits.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:47 PM   #37
SunKing
Registered

Originally posted by Reichart
2.0 will support Widescreen, as will MAT, but it will always come out a few days after we go gold on the normal version.
...Awesome! My dedicated HDTV-PC thanks you! (it's tired of running 100%CPU 24/7/365).

Originally posted by feldon27
It sounds like a widescreen ver will hit a few days later.
I WILL be putting a prominent Widescreen link on the Fan site and sending out an e-mail to about 150 Widescreen users when the wide version of MA 2 hits.
OH PLEASE KIND SIR - PLEASE add me to your widescreen list, if I'm not on there already.
SunKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 04:00 PM   #38
cjmaddy
Registered

Glad to see we, 'Widescreen users' (with normal monitors), - have not been forgotten!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 10:49 PM   #39
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Originally posted by cjmaddy
Glad to see we, 'Widescreen users' (with normal monitors), - have not been forgotten!
I second that.... I much prefer the widescreen over any version yet. I use it on a regular 19" monitor, set to "use desktop resolution" which is 800 x 600. If the fish are not in "true" proportions I can not tell the difference.

Ralph
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 11:11 PM   #40
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

In a poll with 900 people voting, the brown Queen Angel was ranked dead last.
Poll??? What poll??? Was this something that we forum users were excluded from participating in? I dunno, if it was here on the forum, maybe I was just blind and didn't see it.

These are done by an Artist who I found about 8 years ago, and trained to use the computer. He is very respectful of Jim's style, and Jim approved all of his work. Think of him has a back-up singer.
My apologies Reichart, my comments were not directed at the artist or the quality of his art (which is not in question). I guess I'm just concerned that people might be "enhancing" the Queen Angel visually to promote interest versus staying true to what a real Queen looks like. That poor fish has changed faces sooooo many times in the SSA that you'd swear it's under the witness protection program or something.

If possible, would you mind posting the picture of the real fish he used as a template for his work? I'd really like to see it since I haven't seen a Queen that looks like that yet.

DL,
you don't loose a fish, you can always use an older version, like I, use the old widescreen version (.99K) because of the Queen Angel and the faster movements of the fishes.
Thanks for the suggestion Yellow Tang, but I'll pass. I don't like having to go back to older versions just to see a fish I like, I'd much prefer that they all existed in the most current version possible, but change is change and I can accept it.
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive