Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 12-08-2004, 10:19 AM   #1
RBEmerson
Registered

Lionfish update

Being utterly nitpicky about this; the lionfish can now be listed as "Western Atlantic" (Carolinas to Florida, IIRC), too.

It seems some fools decided they couldn't handle the fish and, rather than kill the fish, tossed them in the Atlantic. Maybe this was with the best of intentions but it turns out the lionfish are reproducing and have no apparent preditors in the Atlantic.

NOAA is tracking these fish and want reports of sightings from divers.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits.
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 10:22 AM   #2
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Ouch!
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 10:35 AM   #3
RBEmerson
Registered

Indeed.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:21 PM   #4
Socrates
Sage

Why do I feel like I stepped into the last half of the conversation here?
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:15 PM   #5
feldon34
Forum Administrator

He's talking about the Fish Guide on my site which lists the oceans Lionfishes can be found in.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:01 PM   #6
RBEmerson
Registered

I was also referring to the fish habitat or range listed in the fish description in MA.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:13 AM   #7
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

On a side note: What natural predators do the lionfish have in the Pacific? They look somewhat cumbersome to feed off...

/Tiny Spikes
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:44 AM   #8
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/RedLionfish/RLionfish.html
· Predators
Published records of natural predators of adult red lionfish are unknown. But again, studies of the closely related Pterois miles may provide us with some indication of the natural history of P. volitans. In the Gulf of Aqaba, Red Sea, the piscivorous cornetfish, Fistularia commersoni, appears to be a predator of Pterois miles. Judging by the presence of a specimen of P. miles in the stomach of a large F. commersoni, and its particular orientation therein, a published note concludes that cornetfish in the Red Sea may utilize their ambush tactics to seize lionfish safely from the rear, consuming them tail first.

As cornetfishes are widespread, effective piscivores, species sympatric with P. volitans may be predators of the same.

Other as yet undocumented predators of the red lionfish might include sharks, as many sharks are known to consume noxious or venomous organisms with no obvious ill effects.
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 04:42 AM   #9
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Thanks, YT. Interesting.

Old 12-27-2004, 06:52 PM   #10
Ricordia
Reef Keeper

Sorry for the late reply, haven't visited here in a while.

The lionfish in the Atlantic were the direct result of a hurricane, not a careless fishkeeper who threw them into the ocean. The hurricane destroyed a home with a reef tank containing a mated pair. The fish were washed into the ocean along with most of the guy's house.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

Ricordia
Ricordia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 08:31 AM   #11
RBEmerson
Registered

Originally posted by Ricordia
Sorry for the late reply, haven't visited here in a while.

The lionfish in the Atlantic were the direct result of a hurricane, not a careless fishkeeper who threw them into the ocean. The hurricane destroyed a home with a reef tank containing a mated pair. The fish were washed into the ocean along with most of the guy's house.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

Ricordia
Um, er, perhaps that accounts for a pair but there have been sightings off North Carolina, South Carolina, and off the coast near Titusville, Florida. That's a touch far ranging for fish lost from a single tank. Additionally, there are a host of other species sighted in the Palm Beach and Broward County area along Florida's Atlantic coast. Specifically, I refer you to "Invaders from Inner Space" by Alex Brylske, Dive Training magazine, the October 2004 edition, pp 30-41. Despite the rather lurid title, this is a soundly researched article on the problem of "wrong fish in the wrong place".

Copies of Dive Training can be found, for free, at many dive or scuba shops or check their web site.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive