Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-10-2001, 09:46 AM   #1
BitBasher
Registered

Aquarium "Tweaking" Trick

Several months ago, Jim mentioned to me that if I press the undocumented "N" key while the program is running, I might be able to milk a few more FPS out of the progam.

I just installed V.99G, and I ran it, and pressed "S" to show my FPS rating. It was 56fps. Then I pressed the "N" key, and it jumped up to 85fps and boy did the fish start swimming smooooothly!

I'm running at 1280x1024 on an Asus-V6600 (GeForce) video card on a 650MHz PIII system. I must say that 85fps is pretty darn good at my high-res setting.

Supposedly pressing the "N" key toggles some "time-expensive" calculations on and off. The quality is supposed to be a little less, but certainly can't see any differences in quality, only in the speed.

So, try it on your Aquarium program, and see if you can get possibly better performance by pressing the "N" key. I think the newer versions of the Aquarium default to the faster "N" setting, but if you accidentally pressed the "N" key, you might be running in the slower mode. Pressing the "N" on two other different systems didn't make quite the same massive fps differences, YMMV.

Doug.
BitBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 01:51 PM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

Re: Aquarium "Tweaking" Trick

With v.99G, the N key defaults to off.

--- Jim Sachs
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 08:51 PM   #3

cool!

regularly
@ 1280x1024 with 7 fish i get 153fps
when i pressed it i was @ 119fps
Old 03-10-2001, 11:07 PM   #4
hooters
Percula Clown

hmm when i press the N key i go from 65ish to like 32 so ide think at this much of a drop it would drop everyones frames not raise them am i right
~RELAXATION IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT~
hooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 11:33 PM   #5
Jim Sachs
Developer

As I said, with v.99G the N key is already off when the program starts, so pressing it will lower your frame rate.

--- Jim Sachs
Jim Sachs
Old 03-11-2001, 05:42 AM   #6
BitBasher
Registered

I think when I installed V.99G, I must have pressed the N key once before turning on the FPS display (S key). So when I pushed the N key again, my FPS appeared to improve, but in fact, as Jim points out, the default for V.99G is to run as fast as possible by default.

Therefore, pressing the "N" key may only improve performance if you're running older versions of the Aquarium.

Doug.
BitBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 04:55 PM   #7
hooters
Percula Clown

Aquarium "Tweaking" Trick

ok; cool ,thnx ~ I won't be touching the N key no more hehe- have a good~day all.
~RELAXATION IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT~
hooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 05:27 PM   #8

N is Nifty

If you notice, the N Key Enables more detailed Lighting of Each Fish. I think it may be doing something in the sense of bump-mapping to give the fish a little bit more detail and depth. Well, it took me like 2-3 minutes to notice it ... give it a try.

Anyway, I prefer to keep it silky smooth and I keep it off to keep me happy at 85FPS with VSYNC on.
Old 03-15-2001, 10:40 PM   #9
Jim Sachs
Developer

Re: N is Nifty

The N key enables re-calculation of the surface normals for the body of each fish as it bends. These are several thousand calculations per frame, but the visual effect is very hard to notice.

--- Jim Sachs
Jim Sachs
Old 03-23-2001, 03:40 AM   #10

Re: N is Nifty

Hi. I'd like to make a suggestion. I personally notice the difference, and find it makes the fish's movement much more realistic looking. The request I'd like to make is for the option to be saved in the registry so that if the user (such as me) wanted it on, he wouldn't have to hit the N key everytime. Great screensaver, thanks!
Old 03-26-2001, 02:19 AM   #11
Darkfalz
Banned

Pressing N drops my FPS down from 185 to 125. I don't see any difference, could anyone explain just what having it on improves? Fancier lighting? Jimbo, please explain? I don't mind having it on, since I usually have VSYNC on which caps it at 75 fps, which is enough for anybody.
Darkfalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 05:04 AM   #12
Jim Sachs
Developer

In order to use real-time lighting effects, each polygon or vertex must have a surface normal, which is like an arrow pointing straight out, perpedicular to the surface. These are used for shading, reflections and speculars (shine).

When a fish mesh bends, its vertex normals no longer point straight out from the surface, so I recaculate each vector. Though technically correct, the differences in shading are so slight that most people don't notice them, so the calculations are now turned off by default.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-27-2001, 01:09 PM   #13
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

I am running v.99H. When I push the N key nothing happens. Everything is the same including the FPS. When I go to the settings and click About, it doesn't even show that option.

Did Jim just get rid of that feature? I want to see if I can see a difference.

Frank
home.pacbell.net/gamete/index.html
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 03:37 PM   #14
Jim Sachs
Developer

If you have an extremely fast processor, you might not see a frame rate drop. On my Pentium2 233, pressing the n key causes the frame rate to drop about 10 FPS.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-27-2001, 05:54 PM   #15

frame rate drop

i dont even get a frame rate drop. I perceive a .3 drop at the most. Sometimes I dont even know which one is running. Anyways to get "N" perfomanently enabled? =)

running ATI Mobility 128 M4 32M SGRAM (ati rage 128 pro), 850MHz PIII on a dell laptop.

mike
Old 03-27-2001, 08:59 PM   #16
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

Re: frame rate drop

OK Jim, after seeing your post I turned the Aquarium on and pushed the N key. I did see a difference. When I push it all of a sudden the shadowing on the fish changes. It is most noticable when the fish are still and on the bottom of the tank. The Regal Tang is most noticable when this change takes affect.

The funny part is that I pushed the N key so many times that I don't know if the feature is on or off.

I guess is doesn't matter if I know because once the fish swim away I can't tell if it's on or off. Also, the only time that I notice it is right after I push the N key.

I have no idea what my point is but I am running a 1GHz machine so that explains why I don't see any drop in FPS even though I could spare 10 FPS.

On another note, I had the opportunity to see your aquarium run on a P166 MMX with DX7 and a $15.00 Trident 9880(rCADE 3D chip). It runs at 30 FPS. I was shocked at how well it ran. 30 FPS isn't all that bad. You definitely made the aquarium very well.
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:36 AM   #17
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Where was Cliff when this thread was started?
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:41 AM   #18
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

In kindergaten?

That's an old one, Pat.

P.S.
I was a newbie of only a few weeks when that discussion took place...

/Tiny piece of History
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 06:11 AM   #19
Darkness2k
The Lord of Darkness

Does this have anything to do with the CalcNormals registry entry? (Defaults to 00)
Welcome to the Darkness
http://www.darkness2k.dsl.pipex.com/Shared/TagMini.jpg (Visit it manually)
Darkness2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 06:20 AM   #20
Darkness2k
The Lord of Darkness

Cool NoCompressedTextures?

Also, do you get better quality if you set NoCompressedTextures to 01 or by leaving it as 00 (therefore having compressed textures)?
Welcome to the Darkness
http://www.darkness2k.dsl.pipex.com/Shared/TagMini.jpg (Visit it manually)
Darkness2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive