Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 09-02-2006, 10:00 AM   #21
Greg D
Registered

Screen Freeze / Mouse issue

MA2.6 . The screensaver will freeze after a short period of time 10min - 15min... The mouse arrow is visible on the screen..I move the mouse and the screensaver continues. I've tried different resolutions, 16/32 bit etc.. toggle the exit on mouse on and off and the problem is the same. This problem does not occur with any other screensavers (original xp ss). The keyboard and mouse is a Logitech LX300 cordless and I feel it may have something to do with the 'wireless' refresh ?
winxphome
lenovo J105 w/ built in video
all drivers that are available are up to date
Thank you for any help.
Greg D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:50 PM   #22
oldgeezer
Registered

Cool Hanging with ATI Board

I have a ATI 9700 All-in-wonder. I have installed the latest drivers, but it still hangs the entire system if Serene screen runs for any length of time. I have ordered a X800 AIW in the hopes that will solve my problem. Anyone else have problems with ATI video cards?
oldgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:06 PM   #23
Jim Sachs
Developer

GregD and oldgeezer - Are you using "Limit Frame Rate"? If so, what frame rate?
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:19 AM   #24
Winn
Registered

I have an ATI 9600 AIW and have had no problems. However, I run MA 2.6 from a desktop shortcut and limit the frame rate to 37.
Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:09 AM   #25
oldgeezer
Registered

Yes I set the frame rate lower

and yesterday I got the X800 installed and so far it seems to work better. It even gets some cable channels I was having trouble with on the 9700 board. I suspect the 9700 board was starting to go bad.
I will keep you informed as time goes on.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:46 AM   #26
feldon34
Forum Administrator

It's too bad there's still so much mystery about getting HDTV tuners for PCs. It could be really easy if they tried.

Almost all the shows on ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, FOX, WB, and whatever became of the UPN stations from 7pm-11pm are HDTV.

You can get an HDTV tuner for your PC for $99 *if* you have an ATI card with MPEG-2 decoder (most do) or a fast enough processor to do software decoding. Alternately you can get an HDTV tuner with on-board decoder for about $189. Add component video out (to drive an HDTV) for another $60-80 either as a daughter card or built in depending on model. There are several models out there.

I'd love to just get the $99 one but I don't want an ATI video card because of the free bonus feature it comes with: ATI Driver Nightmare Platinum Edition.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:59 AM   #27
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

hahahahaha
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:15 PM   #28
oldgeezer
Registered

ATI Drivers

I totally agree about the ATI driver nightmare. They don't seem to test them very well. I have the latest MMC and it forces tivo like recording. I would rather have a choice.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:22 AM   #29
oldgeezer
Registered

After finding an older version of the ATI Driver and MMC 9.08 I have had NO lockups or crashes for 2-3 days (knock on wood) Hopefully by staying with the older driver I can continue to enjoy the screen saver and TV without problems.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:09 AM   #30
nicksteel
Registered

Originally posted by feldon30:
It's too bad there's still so much mystery about getting HDTV tuners for PCs. It could be really easy if they tried.

Almost all the shows on ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, FOX, WB, and whatever became of the UPN stations from 7pm-11pm are HDTV.

You can get an HDTV tuner for your PC for $99 *if* you have an ATI card with MPEG-2 decoder (most do) or a fast enough processor to do software decoding. Alternately you can get an HDTV tuner with on-board decoder for about $189. Add component video out (to drive an HDTV) for another $60-80 either as a daughter card or built in depending on model. There are several models out there.

I'd love to just get the $99 one but I don't want an ATI video card because of the free bonus feature it comes with: ATI Driver Nightmare Platinum Edition.  
I have used a ATI OTA HDTV Wonder for some months now with no problems running with MCE. I use "Kram" drivers that allow me to run without an additonal tuner board. Lots of Houston stations, easy editing with VideoReDo. Think I paid 99 on ebay, it was some time ago. Picture and sound quality are great. I only use on monitor and have no HDTV out card yet - nor HDTV to out to!
nicksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:34 AM   #31
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I thought Star Trek The Original Series remastered was pretty underwhelming. The restored picture was great, but the effects could have been so much better. I think they should try to do the effects as good as the Trek films were.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 09-22-2006, 11:32 PM   #32
Yodelking
yodeler

1 Highscore

Strange everybody seems to have problems with ATI drivers. I never did, and I often update mine.
Yodelking - För god att kolsyra!
Yodelking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:18 AM   #33
Deezul
Registered

problem is back....only happens ocassionally..using newest nvidia drivers.
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #34
handimannbob
what's up doc ?

hi...i have an ati chipset, not card. i put in a hd dvd i got from the library on caves, it was great. it also had a reg dvd in same container too, what a diff. does that mean i only need a reg. tv card to get hd tv.
bob
handimannbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:59 PM   #35
mars_tech
Internet Holistician

Similar problem, with NVidia GeForce 6200. The whole system hung after a random period of time.
Switched the driver from 91.47_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql.exe to 91.47_forceware_winxp2k_international_whql.exe and it seems to have stopped the freezes but still tells me that Windows Explorer has hit an unrecoverable error each time I exit the aquarium. I'll keep troubleshooting and post any findings here.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:34 PM   #36
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks for the info, Mark. Even with many millions of units out there (mostly the free demo), this problem is incredibly rare. Because of this, and the fact that no two computers are exactly the same, it is very hard to find a solution which will work every time. Changing drivers has often worked in the past, so that's about all we can recommend unless new clues surface.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:56 AM   #37
mars_tech
Internet Holistician

Some good news! Limiting the frame rate to 50fps on a dual 1280x1024 display seems to have solved the lock-up problem (24 hours with no problem). MS still seem to occasionally want a piece of the action, but far less often than before. Strange as it may seem, there does seem to be a difference between the English [US] and the International [English UK] driver versions, with the latter working better on my Brit-English-speaking screens. Jim, in view of this, please can we have some fish with British accents in the new version?
Old 10-16-2006, 09:28 AM   #38
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Do you want Terry Gilliam, Michael Palin, John Cleese, or someone else?

Old 10-17-2006, 12:04 AM   #39
mars_tech
Internet Holistician

Excellent! (...and still working...)
Mark
mars_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:21 PM   #40
mars_tech
Internet Holistician

Perhaps not surprisingly, there seems to be a direct correlation between the number of processes running on the PC, the freeze frequency, and the max frame rate of the aquarium. Increase the number of running processes, and you need to decrease the max frame rate to remain freeze-free. A fairly good compromise on this machine seems to be 40fps. Does this info trigger any thoughts?
Mark
mars_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive