Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 08-08-2001, 03:45 AM   #41
Lostboy
SquirrelFish

Re: Butterfly Garden Screen Saver

No one commented on my "four SereneScreen Savers in one" idea, and I would love to know what people think. I would love to see all the screensavers together in one beautiful scene and would pay much more money to see this (although the aquarium couldn't be an aquarium anymore, but instead a "real" reef). Is this a bad or impossible idea? Jim?

"I was just looking at one of Jim’s drawings and thought, wouldn’t it be amazing for people that own all the screensavers, to somehow have all of them mesh together, like you’ll be looking at the fish swimming, then the camera will pan up above the water and there is some birds sitting on a tree, etc. Something similar to this picture. I would really really really LOVE to see this!!!! Is this possible???? Please?"
Lostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 06:55 AM   #42
asprague
Regal Angel

There was some talk a while back that if one bought two or more of Jim's SS, that they would come up randomly/automatically as a screen saver.
asprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 05:51 PM   #43
Shinsa
Registered

I think what Lostboy is talking about is somthing far more intricate than one of four selected at start up. But instead all four merged into one. AT THE SAME TIME.

I know that sounds ridiculous, but wait, what about this....

Instead of an aquarium or terrerium or garden, how about....

The SS starts... you can see an ocean, shoreline, and a small house complete with picket fence, smoking chimney, and flower garden. (as if you are floating above)

You see birds flying about... past your field of view. Some land on the house even, or in a nearby tree. Your view changes, as if you drift out over the ocean. Your view changes so you are now looking at the house from out over the ocean... and begin to slowly float toward the house.

Your view floats you through the flower garden. You see many butterflies, flowers, and you continue to drift around the house.

Behind the house you might see birds eating seed in the grass, or singing in the tree. The view slowly moves again, back to the sea.

As your view takes you out to the sea, you can see a reef below the water, and slowly get closer until the view is submerged below the waves. The view takes you across the reef, around it, covered with life. and you slowly rise out of the waves again, and float out above everything, and it starts all over again, perhaps in another random path through this world.

Sounds a bit much, but it would work. I have seen some demo programs that were similar to this. Just the detail wasn't there. And with the newer 3D cards this should be a very simple thing to acomplish. I think the draw back to this would be memory. But I'm sure there must be some trick to use to "swap" things around "between" scenes.

OK, enough ramblings... I need to go do something, and not just hang around here all day....
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Old 08-10-2001, 01:50 AM   #44
Lostboy
SquirrelFish

Shinsa,

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. Thanks for explaining it better then I. Although I was thinking more simple camera movements of up, down, left, and right, instead of flying around. Although, that would be sweet too!
Lostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 04:33 AM   #45
Shinsa
Registered

Ahhh... yes... if only I had the time, and the knowledge!

But I do love Jims work! Keep it up Jimbo!
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Old 08-10-2001, 10:41 AM   #46
FrogMastr
Agalychnis callidryas

users.deltanet.com/%7Ejpa...lagoon.gif

IF only this could be the final result in Full 3d and animated!!!!!!

This pic is really old... back to Amiga times! ( in computer years )

So I guess what this aquarium is a long time dream for our Jim
----
FrogMastr
FrogMastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 08:22 PM   #47

Re: terrarium-screensaver

First of all JIM, I've been keeping fish for near on 15 years and
I must say the aquarium screensaver is like nothing else I've seen(I've dumped all my other savers). I'm looking forward to
your next work's of art(garden,terrarium).
for future projects you could consider more aquariums like
1) freshwater tropical based on the amazon..picture 6 royal blue discus swimming thru a school of 50 neon tetra's while a leaf fish pick's off the occasional neon from out of the vegetation.....
2) brackish water based on a riverbank (this one would be different as it could include a riverbank as the backdrop..3/4 water 1/4 land) with archer fish shooting bugs off branches overhanging the water while mud crabs and hermits scurry about avoiding pufferfish patrolling the bottom, and schools of scats and mono's swimming past Borneo tiger fish while
mudskippers sit on the riverbank defending their bit of territory from each other.......
just some idea's that your screen saver fired off in me

keep up the excellent work Jim

Old 08-25-2001, 01:05 AM   #48

Hmmm, imagine if in the butterfly garden an occasional Bumblebee swooped down to a flower to gather pollen. Wouldn't that be cool?
Old 08-25-2001, 09:43 AM   #49
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, I plan on eventually having bees in the Butterfly Habitat, among other things.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 01:48 PM   #50

a program including the 4 screen savers working together (as suggested by lost boy earlier on ) would indeed be beautiful .
I am patient and will wait and see in the mean time I enjoy the aquarium very much
thank you Jim Sach
phrauggy
Old 10-17-2001, 03:19 PM   #51
Jim Sachs
Developer

That's Sachs.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 04:31 PM   #52

sorry
I should have had a better look at the spelling of your name before writing it:will not happen again
pierre (phrauggy)
Old 10-20-2001, 05:30 PM   #53

Thank you

Hi Jim

Just a short note to say thanks for a great screen saver it is a great Achievement and a fine piece of work.
I myself have kept these fish and your screen saver comes a very very close second.
As for suggesting new ideas ( it would be nice to feed them).

Thank you

Steve F
Old 10-20-2001, 07:13 PM   #54
Lightfeather

Re: Thank you

My favorite fish is the Black Ghost.

COMMON NAME:
Black Ghost Knife Fish

LATIN NAME:
Apteronotus albifrons

Since this is a freshwater fish, I will probably never see him rendered in Jim's fantastic manner.

Some links to the black ghost:

aquariacentral.com/fishin...host.shtml
members.tripod.com/~Boein...knife.html
www.concentric.net/~Akthu...rons.shtml
www.concentric.net/~Akthu...ons2.shtml
www.fishprofiles.com/prof...fefish.asp

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Lightfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 07:45 PM   #55
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Lightfeathers Nest,

Probably not. So far, Jim has 4 Screen Savers in mind, of which about 1 per year will be produced. A fresh water aquarium isn't in the running at this point.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 01:23 AM   #56
Lightfeather

I know, I know.

I was just piping up for no good reason.

=P
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Lightfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 05:50 AM   #57

“Jim hopes to imbue with motion-blurred wings.”

The Kyro has this in its Dragon Fly demo and it looks brilliant in motion. Screen shots on the other hand don’t look as good. I can’t wait to see another screen saver with motion-blur.

Here is a link to the Kyro Dragon Fly demo with the source code. I hope it helps you.

http://www.pvrdev.com/eg/h/DragonFly.htm
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive