Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 10-11-2001, 12:15 PM   #81
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: FireGL 2 Graphics Accelerator card

That's an awesome card for 3D work, but as you mention there's no 16-bit support. I remember when 16-bit started to be introduced. That was back in those dark days when I used a Macintosh IIfx.

I don't know Jim's plans on going mainstream with DirectX 8, as he'd have to leave Windows 95/98/ME users with 99L or 1.0 (or maintain both codebases).
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 12:26 PM   #82

why wouldn't the DX8 version work on Win9x?

>I don't know Jim's plans on going mainstream with DirectX 8, >as he'd have to leave Windows 95/98/ME users with 99L or >1.0 (or maintain both codebases).

Why shouldn't a DirectX8 Aquarium version work with Win9x? Most DX8 programs work just as well on Win9x systems with DirectX8 installed..
Old 10-11-2001, 12:28 PM   #83
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: why wouldn't the DX8 version work on Win9x?

Please read the FAQ Answer about this:

www.feldoncentral.com/Sac...M#Updates6
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 10-11-2001, 01:36 PM   #84

Thanks for the link to your informative faq, and apologies for not having read this before posting :-)
Old 10-11-2001, 02:58 PM   #85
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I'm glad I wrote that FAQ. Now I get to use it as a slegehammer over people's heads.

Just kidding. I think it's definately helping. Only 2-3 "Where's 1.0?" posts a week instead of a dozen.
Old 10-31-2001, 01:49 PM   #86

Amd "irongate"

This is of topic, but can anyone tell me what is irongate chipset for Athlon?

in my pc i have 500 MHz athlon and motherbord supports up to 750 Mhz so i found on ebay 750 Mhz thunderbird for couple of bucks. But the guy says it need "irongate" chipset for it. I send same question to him but he haven't reply yet and auction will close soon. If anyone can provide any info i'll be very greatfull.
Old 10-31-2001, 04:52 PM   #87
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Re: AMD "Irongate"

The "Irongate" is another name for the 750/751 chipset. This is an early chipset for the Athlon and should use Socket A instead of Slot A. Perhaps this is what the guy means - that you can't hook it up with a Slot A processor. As far as I know, your 500 MHz is a Socket A CPU and should work out just fine, but please don't hold me responsible if it for some reason shouldn't work out...

Try a search over at
Google with some suitable phrases. That should give you some additional information...

/Tiny
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 05:08 PM   #88
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

VGA to BNC converter

Feeling a bit Off Topic myself tonight, so here goes...

Lots of people here ask about running the SS on multiple monitors. I'd like to do the opposite (!) and hook up two computers to the same monitor.

On my desk I keep a 19" Nokia Multigraph 446Xpro with both VGA (D-SUB) and BNC inputs at the rear and a button on the front to switch between 'em. Does anyone know if it's possible for me to find a VGA to BNC converter so I can hook up two PC's with VGA output to it?

/Tiny
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 07:08 PM   #89
Coelacanth
Thought to be Extinct

Actually you don't really need a VGA to BNC converter if all you want to do is use the same monitor and switch between computers. I'm on such a setup right now. Just buy a Belkin switch box -- it has two VGA inputs and one VGA output to the monitor, and an A/B switch. Simple. Costs about $10.

They also make ones that switch not only the monitor but also the mouse and keyboard, so you can save desktop space. That's what I have, to switch between my Win2000 and Win98 systems.

Check it out:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSecti...s?Section_Id=5
Coelacanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 08:28 AM   #90
Jim Sachs
Developer

3D glasses

Is anyone out there successfully using 3D shutter glasses with Win2000? If so, what drivers are you using?
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 11:11 AM   #91
FishyBusiness
Registered

1 Highscore

Unhappy I still havent found Win2K/XP drivers

Ever since I upgrade to XP, I haven't found any Win2k drivers that work with my 3D shutter glasses.

I hope that it is posssible to makes drivers for those particular OSes.

When they do, I will walk over the the computer with my grey hair and cane, pull the cob webs off of the computer and glasses and then look at the aquarium in 3D again. But by that time, there will be an aquarium that is a 3D halogram or something.
Frank
FishyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 10:08 AM   #92
Cnidaria
Registered

Question A different sort of hardware woe

Has anyone heard of any cases of SereneScreen precipitating RAM failure? Last night my computer started beeping, and apparently the memory failed. I was running SS at the time and the computer (a week-old Dell Dimension 8200) may have been trying to hibernate, where it writes the contents of the RAM to the hard drive and shuts down.

The memory may have just been going to fail anyway and what happened was completely unrelated to the screensaver. But, Dell users may not want to enable hibernation when using SereneScreen!
Cnidaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 12:23 PM   #93
Jim Sachs
Developer

No, I haven't heard of that problem before.
Jim Sachs
Old 11-10-2001, 03:18 PM   #94
Cnidaria
Registered

It turned out it wasn't memory at all - the CPU most likely failed. It obviously wasn't the aquarium's fault!!

I hope I can get it fixed soon so I can look at my fish again.
Cnidaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 06:07 PM   #95
Coelacanth
Thought to be Extinct

XP + SB Live! = incredibly LOUD sound

I have a SB Live 5.1 card, Windows XP Pro, and the latest SB driver installed (SBLive51XPDrvUpdate.exe). The volume is extremely loud. I have set the volume control slider all the way down to the very first notch and it's at least bearable that way but still sounds like it's on around 5-6 on a scale of 10. If actually DO turn the volume up to 10, I can hear the aquarium bubbles from a couple houses down.

As Marvin Gaye once said: "What's going on?"
Old 11-24-2001, 06:28 PM   #96
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Have you double-clicked on the volume slider to bring up the sound volume and global sound volume? They are cumulative.
Old 11-24-2001, 09:11 PM   #97
Coelacanth
Thought to be Extinct

What volume slider(s) are you referring to?

I have a volume control icon in my taskbar. If I double-click on that, I get a "Play Control" window with a master volume control and individual controls for MIDI, CD Audio, etc.

I also have a volume control slider in the Sounds And Audio Devices control panel, under the Volume tab. This is actually the exact same control as the above one; just another way to get to it.

Double-clicking on either of these sliders themselves (rather than actually sliding them up and down) does nothing.
Old 11-24-2001, 09:28 PM   #98
feldon34
Forum Administrator

You got those panels open. Did you bring both the master volume and wave (WAV) volume down?
Old 11-24-2001, 09:38 PM   #99
Coelacanth
Thought to be Extinct

Yeah. Down. Waaaaay down. Down to the bottom notch.

I also discovered something interesting. The volume setting for "Wave/DirectSound" doesn't stick. I can set it to the bottom, then close the Play Control window, and when I bring it back up again, that volume is set up to the top again.

But regardless of that volume setting, the MASTER volume setting needs to be turned almost all the way down to be bearable.
Old 11-24-2001, 11:36 PM   #100
Jim Sachs
Developer

How about the volume slider in the Aquarium settings?
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive