Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 01-16-2001, 07:45 PM   #1
feldon34
Forum Administrator

***Time to Upgrade to DirectX 8***

For anyone who is just tuning in, it looks like a future version (possibly .99H) of Sachs Aquarium will require DirectX 8 to be installed on your computer. I figure now is a good time to get DirectX 8 going, rather than scrambling to get your system ready whenever a version launches.

Installing a new version of DirectX *SHOULD* be easy if you have been keeping up with the latest video card and sound card drivers. If you haven't then you may be doing some digging around to get this all working.

To get the latest DirectX 8 for your Win95/98/Me/2000 box, head to Microsoft's website here:

www.microsoft.com/directx/homeuser/downloads/default.asp

Why upgrade to DirectX 8?

Well, not only will future versions of the Sachs Aquarium use and require it, but also the new features will require it. Features such as multiple monitors, switching automatically to 16-bit on all systems, and running natively in 24 and 32 bit will all require DirectX 8 code. In addition, I've been told that the Windows 2000 "bubbles sound that keeps going for 3+ minutes" bug will be fixed in the Direct X 8 version of the Aquarium.

There are always risks in changing your system configuration. Someone in another post here said they had problems going to DirectX 8 and actually had to remove it and regress back to DirectX 7. But overall, it should be a painless upgrade for most people.

I'm getting some new games soon and I know they require DirectX 8, so I guess I will be finding out soon enough!

Regards,
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 07:53 PM   #2

Direct X 8

No problems here with V0.99F,Win2k and Matrox G400 dual head.

A helpful site for a DirectX remover program is

www.ebrink.com/dxun/Direct.htm

But please read the Help,FAQ,etc and be careful!!

rdgs

D.
Old 01-16-2001, 09:20 PM   #3

Re: ***Time to Upgrade to DirectX 8***

Any hints to when the new version 99G version will come out? Becuase i want that Percula Clown Bad
Old 01-16-2001, 10:20 PM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

As I mentioned in another thread somewhere, v.99G will be almost identical with v.99F, except for the addition of a Percula Clown and a Clown Triggerfish. It will not require DX 8, but the version after that probably will.

--- Jim Sachs
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2001, 05:25 AM   #5

I don't realy got problems with DX8

But it seems that some older games and/or games that are pushed in the "forgoten" corner, don't work under DX8.0
Old 01-17-2001, 10:48 AM   #6

Re: I don't realy got problems with DX8

I upped to 8 quite a while ago , my V3 2000 runs everything no problem.
Old 01-17-2001, 02:25 PM   #7
Dave Snotear
Registered

Re: I don't realy got problems with DX8

I've been using DX8 for about a month now.Haven't had any problems since updating all drivers.Win98SE,PIII 500,Leadtek Geforce 256 and 256 Megs of Sdram.Stopped using nVMAX and opted to use Detonator 6.31 control panel.I am getting 85-95 FPS @1280X1024 (all 7 fish).I am quite satisfied with how the aquarium is running.
Dave Snotear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2001, 09:26 PM   #8

I upgraded a long time ago as well. But im always looking for the latest drivers and stuff. 113 fps on PIII 800, 128 ram, Elsa Razor X Geforce 256 SDR at 1024x768 using Detonator 6.47. It really is the same with any Detonator drivers in my experience anyway. DirectX 8 should work fine with all games that require direct X...Well Mircrosoft says it backwards compatible, so it must be true Now if i could just get dsl or cable i would be happy.

Old 01-17-2001, 11:56 PM   #9

How to run at 113 fps?

Hi Dragon,

May I know how can you run the screensaver at 113fps? Is it due to your CPU (800Mhz) or anything else?

My Matrox G400 runs at around 80fps.

I am thinking that your PC supports more than 7 fishes at a time. :-)
Old 01-18-2001, 05:43 PM   #10

Re: How to run at 113 fps?

Hi! I'm the guy, or one of the guys, who has the, and I quote, "I've been told that the Windows 2000 "bubbles sound that keeps going for 3+ minutes" bug will be fixed in the Direct X 8 version of the Aquarium." I'm also using Win2k and already have DirectX 8 installed; so glad to here it'll get fixed. Now might be the time for me to register, before the deadline, so I don't miss out on all those free goodies.
Old 01-18-2001, 08:20 PM   #11

geforce thing?

Maybe it is a geforce thing. I have a p2-400, geforce(original) ddr and at 1024x768 I get 99-100fps constantly with all 7 fish. Upgrading to dx 8 had no effect on speed for me.

Oh and a DX8 tip...I heard that after you install any new version of direct X it is best to re-install both sound and vidcard drivers. I haven't needed to do so, but heard it helps some of those who have problems after the upgrade.
Old 01-18-2001, 09:57 PM   #12
Dave Snotear
Registered

Re: geforce thing?

I am using a Leadtek GeForce 256 w/32 Megs of memory,Win 98SE,Soundblaster Awe32,PIII 500,256 Megs SDRAM ,running the Aquarium @ 1280X1024 w/7 fish @ 85-95 FPS.
I installed DX8 about a month ago along with updated video,sound and motherboard drivers.
I am experiencing no problems whatsoever.
Dave Snotear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 09:35 PM   #13
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

DX8

I am running a Gateway PIII 600 w/ 256mb Ram, Nvidia TNT2 Ultra with latest drivers, Creative Soundblaster Live Value. I'm set at 1600 x 1200 x 32bit, which drops to 16 on the Aquarium. I get about 40fps. If I install DX 8 will I get faster fps, and are there any problems I should know about before I click install?? Thanks......
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 10:00 PM   #14
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: DX8

Just make sure you have the latest nVidia Detonator drivers (as you say you have), and go for it. You won't get a faster framerate I don't think. You're running at a really high resolution!

The reason to go DirectX 8 is for the new DirectX 8 version of the Aquarium which will fix some things and add other things.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 01-20-2001, 12:25 PM   #15
hooters
Percula Clown

DirectX~8 question

HI~ I was wondering what exactly is the improvement from 7 to 8 i havent noticed anything and have had it since it came out- there r many other boards that ask the same question and no-one seems to know seeing most people dont notice anything iether -hoping Jim or Feldon can answer this one seeing there working with it thnx _also on a small note for people experiencing problem with sound run off are u using DirectX8 final version just a thought because there was a version 8 before they released the final version . Thnx again have a nice day .
~RELAXATION IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT~
hooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 02:05 PM   #16
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: DirectX~8 question

hooters,

Upgrading from one version of DirectX to another is rarely about features. DirectX is a 2D, 3D, and audio framework for writing software with good performance without writing directly to the hardware (as developers used to do in the PC days). The developers used to have to write their program and then come out with their own drivers for each and every video card, sound card, etc. on the market. It got to be impossible to write for every card because each card manufacturer was doing it differently, and there were so many cards.

The only reason one switches to a newer version of DirectX is when a favorite game or piece of software has used the new library elements introduced in a newer version of DirectX and thus requires its installation.

It just so happens that the next version of the Aquarium beyond the next 2 fish will probably require DirectX 8. Jim wants to take advantage of many of the things added in DirectX 7 and 8 to improve the Aquarium and fix a few bugs.

I don't want to jump the gun, but one of the most popular requests on the Forum is for the Aquarium to natively run in 24 bit and 32 bit. And as a fallback from this, for the Aquarium to always switch the hardware to 16-bit, especially on those systems that don't automatically do it themselves. (probably 80% of people's setups out there, most nVidia cards, most 3dfx cards switch automatically)

A few of the other features people are requesting, such as multiple monitor support probably require DirectX 7 or 8.

I hope this has cleared up some things and helped others decide one way or another to switch to DirectX 8 or not. It should be a relatively painless operation provided you have the most updated drivers for your video/3d card and sound card.
Old 01-21-2001, 09:15 PM   #17
hooters
Percula Clown

DirectX8 - thnx for ur detailed explanation , -

it makes more sense now - i looked at all my games and stuff doesnt look like anything i have calls for it yet - but I'm sure like the Aquarium - other things will son nead it - thnx again Feldon
~RELAXATION IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT~
hooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 03:32 PM   #18
MegaHertz
Registered

How to Increase FPS

First I'll post my specs. PIII 825(550@150MHz FSB), Abit BE6-2,256M PC133 SDRAM, CL Annihilator 2 MX, Win98 SE, DirectX 8.By the way MX is the way to go til NV20 gets here. Price vs. Preformance is unbeatable. That is about all that should matter. Running THE AQUARIUM @ 1024x768 I get 119 FPS all 7 Fish set to random. Running 1152x864 I get 100 FPS all 7 fish again set to random. The secret is to turn off vsync when I turn it on I only get about 80 FPS no matter what screen resolution. So to answer your question turn off vsync. This must be done in your Video cards drivers or through a third party utility like nVmax. If you are using Nvidia reference drivers you must have coolbits enabled in order to get the disable vsync option. On matrox cards I'm not much help. But there are other video card utilities out there. Try looking at tweakfiles.com they have most of the recent video card tweaking utilities.
Hello...Welcome to the Police 9-1-1 Hotline..." If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly. If you are codependant, ask someone to press 2. If you are a multiple personality, press 3, 4, 5, and 6. If you are paranoid, we know who you are and we are tracing this call. If you are schizophrenic, a little voice will tell you what to do. If you are depressed, it doesn't matter which # you push it will be wrong anyway.
MegaHertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 11:03 AM   #19

lockup

Hi
I'm running a similar system to you - PIII/550, Hercules Gforce 2/mx, BE62-raid. Normally I run my system bus @ 116mhz, no problems with games, 3dmark etc. but Aquarium locks up as soon as it is run. If I reduce my bus speed to default or 105mhz max it runs fine. I've tried a fresh install of WinMe/Dx8 with only my graphics card in the system & it still locks. Also tried a Matrox G400max with exactly the same results, thus eliminating the graphics card.

Any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated..
Old 01-26-2001, 12:59 PM   #20
MegaHertz
Registered

Re: lockup

The only thing I can think of right off with what you've provided is you are using the Highpoint controller and I am not and won't for the simple reason that it affects my overclocked stability. So I am stuck using the old DMA 33 IDE channels. I won't swear that this is your problem, but I suspect that it maybe as I have a similar problem with my SCSI card preventing me from going above 150MHz FSB. If I remove the card I can go up to 155MHz stable. But oh well, I'm not about to give up my SCSI CD-Rom or CD-RW just yet.
One other thing what type of memory are you running and what do you have your memory timings set to in the BIOS?
Hello...Welcome to the Police 9-1-1 Hotline..." If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly. If you are codependant, ask someone to press 2. If you are a multiple personality, press 3, 4, 5, and 6. If you are paranoid, we know who you are and we are tracing this call. If you are schizophrenic, a little voice will tell you what to do. If you are depressed, it doesn't matter which # you push it will be wrong anyway.
MegaHertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive