Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 01-26-2001, 03:26 PM   #21

lockup

Hi
Cheers for the reply. I did wonder about the HTP controller so disabled it in bios & run off standard IDE, but still locked. Have Mosel cas 2 memory, have tried setting to cas 3, still locks! Looks like I'm stuffed as far as overclocking & running Aquarium99 goes. Never mind, hoping to upgrade in the future to an Athlon TBird 1ghz+ just waiting to see what develops on the DDR chipset motherboard front before I take the plunge. Probably have a whole new set of problems to deal with then - Oh well..
Old 01-26-2001, 03:46 PM   #22
MegaHertz
Registered

Re: lockup

Sorry that wasn't the problem. One last thing though I have two other friends running virtually the same machine all overclocked the same. Only difference is the video cards. So you've got me wondering about your situation. Is your chip a slot 1 550E? If so when did you buy it? I purchased mine right after they came out (03-04/00 I think.) I know people have not had much success overclocking the latest batches or the FCPGA variety. That is the only other thing I can think of. I'll do some more looking around but I tell you a P!!! 550E is almost guaranteed to over clock to 733MHz. Weird!!!
Hello...Welcome to the Police 9-1-1 Hotline..." If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly. If you are codependant, ask someone to press 2. If you are a multiple personality, press 3, 4, 5, and 6. If you are paranoid, we know who you are and we are tracing this call. If you are schizophrenic, a little voice will tell you what to do. If you are depressed, it doesn't matter which # you push it will be wrong anyway.
MegaHertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 03:59 PM   #23
feldon34
Forum Administrator

MegaHertz,

It wouldn't hurt to examine your chip and compare the batch number and country of manufacture against the database here...

www.overclockers.com
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 04:34 PM   #24

lockup

Hello again,

I've had the PIII/550e for some time now (I'll whip it out later & check the nos.) One thought, I am using an Abit SlotketIII & the only way I could get it to boot was to set it's jumpers to the chip spec. It would not work on auto detect. There's not much in the way of instructions with these things, so once it worked I didn't experiment further..

Patrick Fillary
Old 01-26-2001, 06:07 PM   #25
MegaHertz
Registered

Patrick,

I believe I can say with some degree of certainty that your problem is your chip. It is a flip chip (Socket 370) and to the best of my knowledge they have never overclocked well. Lots of guys got burned buying them when the slot 1's were hard to come by thinking that they would overclock as well as the Slot 1 versions. I know when I bought mine it was the last one in town. I'll have to pull it out to get the numbers as my box is in storage til spring. You can also check your info using the link posted by Morgan to see how many other people are having success or failure with chips from around the time that yours was made. Hope you find some good news. Best of Luck.
Hello...Welcome to the Police 9-1-1 Hotline..." If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly. If you are codependant, ask someone to press 2. If you are a multiple personality, press 3, 4, 5, and 6. If you are paranoid, we know who you are and we are tracing this call. If you are schizophrenic, a little voice will tell you what to do. If you are depressed, it doesn't matter which # you push it will be wrong anyway.
Old 01-28-2001, 06:53 AM   #26

Re: ***Time to Upgrade to DirectX 8***

I notice that there is an 8.0a version of DirectX available here:

www.microsoft.com/downloa...seid=27398

Anyone tried it? Is this a release version?
Old 01-28-2001, 12:22 PM   #27
cimeboat
Registered

It's more of an international version with a lot of "bloat". I did not see any difference than ver 8. I don't think it's worth the time,etc(~20+M)
cimeboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 01:21 PM   #28

Thanks.

I downloaded it this morning already and have it sitting in a place I save stuff like this.

I'm still running whatever comes with Win2k Pro and haven't updated anything yet. Still running the Creative (5.22 I think) drivers on my Geforce2 GTS as well.

I'm thinking of updating the video drivers to the Nvidia reference set v6.34 as I've heard they're pretty stable.

I've also heard it's advisable to do the video driver update after DirectX updates.

Is that true?
Old 01-28-2001, 01:56 PM   #29
Pyros9
Registered

GeForce2 v6.34 drivers

I been hearing about the GeForce2 v6.34 drivers. Where do they come from? The ones on the NVidia web site are v6.31 which is what mine are too.

Doug................(Pyros9)
www.faddis.net

My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dogs think I am.
Pyros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 06:56 PM   #30

Re: GeForce2 v6.34 drivers

I stuffed a copy here if you're interested:

www.pompano.net/~mward2k/
Old 01-28-2001, 08:30 PM   #31
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

NVmax

oOMegaHertzOo,
I downloaded NVmax, to see what would happen like you said, and I have a few questions. This is the first time I have tried to use something like this, so allot of the options I have no idea what they do.
1st - I am running a Gateway PIII 600 / 256 MB RAM / TNT2 Ultra Video card / DX8. I went to Nvidia about 1 week ago and got the latest drivers available and installed them.
Coolbits IS NOT checked, but I checked no Vsync and it seemed to help -- I run 1600 x 1200 32 bit -- on the aquarium I get about 45 fps now as opposed to 35 - 37 before so it helped some.
The overclocking feature is grayed out and will not let me change it.
Anti-Aliasing is set at 2x2 med.
Mip-Map is set to 12
Texel Alignment is set to 03
PCI Texture is set at 50MB
I guess my question is ( not knowing what allot of this means ) is there anything that is obvious to you that I should change, or anything that I should leave alone, before I get to poking around to see what all these options will do?
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 08:44 PM   #32
Pyros9
Registered

Re: NVmax

I also just downloaded and tried NVmax today. I have an almost brand new Dell Dimension 4100 with 866MGhz processor, 256MB Ram, and a GeForce2. A 19" Trinitron monitor running at 1024x768. Before NVmax I was getting 120FPS, after installing and using the NVmax preset called "Nice Mix" my FPS went up to 192..! Using the nice mix preset also changes the VSync to off. So maybe you should just try the presets and see what kind of results you get.

Doug................(Pyros9)
www.faddis.net

My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dogs think I am.
Pyros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 11:43 PM   #33
MegaHertz
Registered

Re: NVmax

Jav400,

There are many features in nvmax that may or may not work depending on bugs. NVMax is like the aquarium a work in progress. My best suggestion is to go to the authors web page as he will have a list of what does and doesn't work in the version you have. As well as a description of what each tweak does.

www.charnleys.co.uk/nvmax/

I will tell you however that the overclocking feature has never really worked. Also where you are using a TNT2 that the FSAA won't matter either. Make sure to check coolbits as this will enable additional features such as overclocking core and memory speeds. Which will also improve your performance.

Another helpful site for anyone using a GeForce card.

www.geforcefaq.com

Let me know if there is anything else you need.

P.S. Overclocking the memory on your videocard will prove more beneficial than the core speed, and it doesn't affect stability either
Old 02-08-2001, 01:45 PM   #34

lockup

oOMegaHertzOo...I also faced the same problem as pjfil.
You asked in one of your posts about what type of memory is used and also about the memory timings. Can you please tell me your setting? I think mine is set on 8s and it's a 100MHz 64MB SDRAM
Old 09-03-2001, 08:21 AM   #35
almark
Registered

RGB emulation

I downloaded the ss when i had XP RC1 as my OS and was getting about 50 fps. I have taken XP off and now have Win 2000. When I run the ss I get about 1fps and 'RGB Emulation 99L' when I press 's'.

My system is a 800 Celeron, NVidia TNT 16MB.

I installed DX8a, no effect,
I installed the latest drivers from Nvidia (12.41 wk2), no effect,
I re-installed DX8a, no effect!

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
best regards,
A l m a r k
almark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 09:08 AM   #36
Kirby Smith
Registered

Win2k 1fps

When I have obscure problems under Win2k that seem intractable, I run 'SFC /scannow' from a shell window. It will repair any damaged drivers. Plan on OS and SP CD swapping for about 1.5 hours unless you have two CD drives or have streamed the SP with the OS.

kirby
Kirby Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 10:36 AM   #37
almark
Registered

Re: Win2k 1fps

I have sp1 installed and will now install sp2. I still cannot fathom why it worked great in XP 3D HAL, yet RGB Emulation in Win 2000.

Anyone any ideas?
best regards,
A l m a r k
Old 09-03-2001, 10:52 AM   #38
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Please don't cross-post.

pub41.ezboard.com/fsachsa...72&stop=75
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 11:01 AM   #39
almark
Registered

Thank you! However I wasn't sure it was a graphics driver problem or a directX Problem. And clearly it is both, install the right driver and then re-install DirectX8a.

Again thanks for your help. I hope it works!
best regards,
A l m a r k
Old 09-03-2001, 11:29 AM   #40
almark
Registered

Window off-set

Thanks, that sorted it out. Now going at 50fps. However when it is off set to the right and down. When I change from destop resolution to the window size it makes no difference.
best regards,
A l m a r k
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive