Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-05-2006, 11:43 AM   #201
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I still think this whole damn thing would have been so much easier if they'd kept both products (MA and MAT) around and let the 2 fish be a free upgrade to MA. Now, they've been pushed by the court of public opinion to give away MAT and MA bundle for free to tens of thousands of people who would have been perfectly happy with just MA 2.6 and might still have been upsold to MAT at a future date. All told, Prolific ended up LOSING money (and credibility) with this upgrade.

A long time ago, Reichart told me that one of the main benefits of the development of Marine Aquarium 2 series was that a single download could respond differently to different keycodes. You could download MA/MAT and depending upon which keycode you entered, you'd get either MA, MAT, or both functionalities. He actually gave me a specific example where the fish could be separate little modules contained within the Aquarium that:
#1 would not require a separate download -- a 20kb inline update instead of a fresh download of 2MB per customer which costs Prolific a fortune in web hosting bills
#2 would respond to different keycodes

I wonder what happened to that.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 03:34 PM   #202
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

It will probably happen "soon"...
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:34 AM   #203
Red Emperor
Registered

I am new to this board but have been a MA user for at least 3-4 years.

Can I just say that I have received excellent service from Prolific eg I jumped the gun and paid $9.95 for the upgrade. I had no issues in doing this as the MA is an excellent product - just wished some of the addons would appear soon. Not only did I receive a note from Prolific that I was entitled to a free upgrade they also seamlessly reimbursed my credit card for the amount originally paid. I believe that you should also give praise where it is due - as well as any necessary criticism. But please, please, please release the 3D and creature packs.

A very satisfied Australian and I look forward to further developments in this product.

RE
Red Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:18 AM   #204
DeepSeaFan
Viperfish

I haven't downloaded the trial form of the new version, but based on the other upgrades, it should be great. Now for my question: It sounds like you get both MA and MAT with the upgrade. Is that the case, and is it possible to upgrade MA without getting MAT? If so, how? Sorry if this question has already been asked, the sheer number of posts leaves one confused.
DeepSeaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #205
feldon34
Forum Administrator

MA/MAT is now the only product available from SereneScreen.com. You can turn off the crystal and get the functionality of MA.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 03-06-2006, 01:30 PM   #206
DeepSeaFan
Viperfish

Embarassed

Thank you for clearing that up.
DeepSeaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:26 PM   #207
snorkler
Registered

Thank You Prolific (Auden) for a quick response and my Key!
Jim, as expected, the new fish are beautiful! Can't wait to send you money for the "creature packs"--- coming "soon", of course!!

Michael
snorkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:29 AM   #208
handimannbob
what's up doc ?

yes...thank you auden,you said if i didn't get code in a week to contact you. i waited until the frenzy was over and contacted auden, and got code in 5 minutes.
Jim..i think maybe a million people or so won't get a newer computer just for a screensaver. i hope, when you release the new version with the 3-d background (which i and many others can't run, so feldon says) you won't stop adding fishes ( for a small fee of course) to this version
bob
handimannbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:43 PM   #209
Jim Sachs
Developer

The fish for the 3.0 version will be constructed in a completely different way, so I won't be making any more of the old-fashioned type. After the base version is done, there are the creature packs, the Butterfly Habitat, the Terrarium, the Aviary, and 10 lifetimes of other things to pack into my few remaining years.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:46 AM   #210
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

Freshwater?
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:19 AM   #211
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yeah, that too.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-10-2006, 04:36 AM   #212
Ex_Brit
Geordie

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
The fish for the 3.0 version will be constructed in a completely different way, so I won't be making any more of the old-fashioned type. After the base version is done, there are the creature packs, the Butterfly Habitat, the Terrarium, the Aviary, and 10 lifetimes of other things to pack into my few remaining years.  
Change that "few" to "many" I hope!

Peter
Toronto, Canada
Ex_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:14 AM   #213
andr0id
Registered

Why don't my posts work?
andr0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:53 PM   #214
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by andr0id:
Why don't my posts work?  
Because of spammers, posts by new users are hidden until approved by a moderator. You now have full posting privileges.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:29 PM   #215
handimannbob
what's up doc ?

hey jim, i understand where you are coming from. it just seems like bad bussiness to discontinue something that can still generate a lot of money. i can imagine after so many years u want to move on, and i sure love all the new fishes u have GIVEN us.
when i first got my computer years ago i had never used a computer before, save for playing golf at my brother inlaws. i was scared stiff to do anything (got 2 books at bookstore and read and read) 5 days later i found your ss on the internet. it was the first thing i downloaded and bought on the internet, so it holds a special place with me. i still use it95% of the time. kind of like the battery ad, it just keeps going and going and going, no getting tired of it. of course i don't sit all day looking at it....lol
bob
Old 03-10-2006, 09:48 PM   #216
Jim Sachs
Developer

There are no plans to discontinue V2.6 when 3.0 is done. It will remain available for those whose systems are not up to the demands of the new program.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-11-2006, 10:54 AM   #217
handimannbob
what's up doc ?

lol jim,
it seems now it's writen in concrete, no more new fishes. amazing it is that something 5 yrs old is considered OLD FASHOINED now. just shows how fast computer technology is moving foward i guess.
jim, just wondering, about how long does it take to create one fish ? am i being a pest about this, lol, this is the last word from me on the subject. i can but hope u change you mind down the road. i'll probably get a new puter down the road anyhow, not out of need, but just to have to play with, lol....
bob
Old 03-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #218
Jim Sachs
Developer

Not counting all the driving required to take photos, it takes about two days to create a normal fish (like the Achilles Tang), and about four to make a Lionfish. We've just about exhausted the list of beautiful fish with these latest ones. The research has become very difficult as the species get rarer. With 3.0, I can start branching into invertibrates and other forms.

In computer-years, 5 years is not just old, but ANCIENT. Encore, the publisher of the hard-copy version of the Aquarium, says the Aquarium has had an unprecedented run. Shelf-life of software is usually measured in weeks or months, not years.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-12-2006, 05:36 PM   #219
WILLYPR
Registered

Angry KEYCODE

I received my key code!

Thanks a lot.....

I took the opportunity and bought the Goldfish and Sharks bundle.
Willy
WILLYPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:22 PM   #220
handimannbob
what's up doc ?

yes, just like the battery ad, it keeps......oops, i said not another word.....poof
bob
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive