Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

View Poll Results: Should MA3 have default music?
Default music. 6 13.95%
Default bubbles. 37 86.05%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2008, 06:07 AM   #1
cjmaddy
Registered

Should MA3 have default music?

Should MA3 have default music? -

Default music, or...

Default bubbles. (Sound)

(Your own music would still be an option in place of either)

Last edited by cjmaddy; 04-13-2008 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Own music wording, clarified.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

The way I would see it... default bubbles are a natural and expected part of an aquarium. In the setup part of the program.. which everyone will have to enter anyway.. the option for music and all it's parameters can be selected.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:59 AM   #3
Jim Sachs
Developer

While developing the music feature, I have become so accustomed to hearing it start when the Aquarium does, that it seems jarringly absent when it's not there. Bear in mind that I have the volume very low, and excellent MIDI sounds on this computer. When I listen to it on my laptop, the sound is obnoxious. Therefore, if I decide to continue with music capability for MA3, I'll need to include custom samples in the program so that I can maintain control over what people are actually hearing.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
Yodelking
yodeler

1 Highscore

Default bubbles, but I really like the ability to change it to the music I want to hear while relaxing and enjoying MA.
Yodelking - För god att kolsyra!
Yodelking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
Jim Sachs
Developer

Is no one paying attention? You will have the ability to make your own playlists.
Jim Sachs
Old 04-13-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
cjmaddy
Registered

Isn't YK just saying that he likes that ability? - As indeed I do!
Old 04-14-2008, 06:09 AM   #7
NaaMar
Registered

Fish don't make music... they make bubbles (well, mine does).
NaaMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
jleslie
Engineer

Do I want to make playlists, rather than have Winamp open and just click on which track I want next? I think probably not. That's not an anti-default music vote, perhaps if the music were particularly aquatic and different I could have it on when I wanted - but having an independant-of-the-rest-of-the-system volume control would be good, so can have it low if I want it and not have everything else low too...
John
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #9
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

I believe a whole lot of people vote on this poll and think they voted on whether or not they will have music or bubbles themselves which isn't the question. It's about what will be on the first time MA3 starts up after installation.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:53 PM   #10
Jim Sachs
Developer

TT - I believe you are right, though Cliff attempted to make it clear.

John - The interface for building a playlist is pretty simple: just find a sound file somewhere on your machine, click on it, and it plays. Probably not that much different from WinAmp (though I've never actually seen it). The default music is Pachelbel's Canon. I had originally planned to use Saint-Saens' Aquarium, but there were a few problems (too short, for one thing). There is an independant volume control. I like it barely-audible.
Jim Sachs
Old 04-14-2008, 05:17 PM   #11
RA
Registered

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle:
I believe a whole lot of people vote on this poll and think they voted on whether or not they will have music or bubbles themselves which isn't the question. It's about what will be on the first time MA3 starts up after installation.  
Hey everybody! Hope you all are doing fine; haven't posted for a while, but have to respond to this thread (and to Tiny's post, just to show how I voted).

I have been following the making of MA3 and am waiting in anticipation for Jim's beta. It can't appear any too soon for me.

I voted for bubbles as default. I know that Jim is working on having music for the aquarium and I can only speak for myself, but I am personally against ANY music in the aquarium. This is an aquarium; I enjoy the aquarium for itself, not by it being able to play any music. I also would hate to see it ruined by having ANY default music (forgive me, Jim, whether it be classical or otherwise). The sound of bubbles is acceptable to me, but having music playing at the start is unacceptable. Please, Jim, have the MA3 default to no sound or at the most to bubbles.

I understand of course, that there will be an option to disable the sound.

I'm a purist when I enjoy aquariums. Bubbles are ok; music is not.

For the record, I turn off the bubbles on all aquariums. Bubbles are more or less natural in a home aquarium, music is not.
RA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #12
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

It was clear to me when I voted for bubbles.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:30 AM   #13
cjmaddy
Registered

Whatever the possible misinterpretation, it wouldn't affect the meaning of the result so far. ie, The voters prefer bubbles!
Old 04-15-2008, 04:41 AM   #14
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Yeah, but don't forget it is Jim's work and he gets the final say. After all his sweat I think he has earned it.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:45 AM   #15
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Originally posted by cjmaddy:
Whatever the possible misinterpretation, it wouldn't affect the meaning of the result so far. ie, The voters prefer bubbles!  
Um, yes it does.

Whether or not you and I can be bothered to turn off the music if and when we want to is a non-issue. The reason Jim wants it on as default is for the people who haven't even figured out you can switch between fish in MA2.

The fact that they have missed it does in my opinion prove the fact that a new approach to new users has to be taken (ie a really pretty and colorful splash screen the first time telling the user about the features), but it still changes the meaning of the voting result. Users voting here that the wouldn't use the midi track themselves are missing the point as I figure anyone who has taken the trouble to come here in the first place is interested/competent enough to manage to find the settings screen.

Jim,
What if this splash screen will come up every single time the program starts until they finally press the space bar (which of course would be the primary message of the splash screen) and thus discover the settings at least once?
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:43 AM   #16
cjmaddy
Registered

Michael, - I'm only pointing out that Jim's and Tiny's beliefs would not change the result. I'm well aware that this is only a debating opportunity, not a democracy.

Tiny, - No it doesn't. - This poll is simply, Should MA3 have default music? - nothing more, nothing less.

If you wish it to mean something different, then I'm sure you are free to start your own poll.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:26 AM   #17
SunKing
Registered

Can we have both bubbles and music?
SunKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:35 AM   #18
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Amazing how soothing music brings Cliff and Calle to blows...
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:24 AM   #19
cjmaddy
Registered

It is amazing how it always happens. - I make a suggestion, or upload a post or a picture, that appears to meet with a degree of universal success. But I know and said only yesterday, - This won't last, it will only be a matter of time before someone feels compelled to shoot it all down. - It's happened before, and I'm sure it will happen again. - Ah well, such is life!

But even I didn't expect 26:1 ...... It must have touched a nerve somewhere.

Morgan, I promise I will be soothing on this thread for the remainder of its run. - Post some BPMS pics, and change the subject. This subject has run its course!
Old 04-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #20
Jim Sachs
Developer

26 to 1 - so it's about even then. Math never was my thing

As a statistical sample, the poll had be be extremely skewed. By thier very presence in the Forum, everyone has proven to be computer-savvy enough to find their way here. It's kind of like asking a group of geniuses if idiots should be allowed to vote. Also, I'm convinced that not one of you has heard the music in its intended fidelity.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive