Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows
Notices

Old 04-25-2003, 07:04 PM   #81
Reichart
CTO Prolific Publishing

These reports led me to suspect that the pre-beta N419.0.9.156 was more stable than the beta N442.0.9.510.
All I can state is that the most recent version is always going to be what we believe to be the best version.!

And it is N422, not N442.
Reichart... , CTO, Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Come visit us Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Reichart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 03:32 AM   #82
cjmaddy
Registered

All I can state is that the most recent version is always going to be what we believe to be the best version.!

And it is N422, not N442.
Ah! yes, - sarcasm! ...... They do say, "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit! - but also the funniest!"

I can appreciate that, - well done Reichart, - have a brownie point! ....... Glad to have made your day!

Looks like a 'lysdexic' typo has crept into the posts and got perpetuated!

I cut and paste things like this, to try to avoid just such an error! - but a search through the forum does suggest I may be the culprit, - I am certainly guilty of perpetuating it! ...... SORRY!

For N442 ..... read N422
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 07:36 AM   #83
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

Cliff, don't tell anyone but I think N442 is due for release on the 42nd of April 3002.

Reichart, If you haven't already seen it in the GA Bug Reports forum, I <paraphrase alert on>"nailed"</paraphrase alert off> the "Plant settings not retained" issue. Please read my post there.

roseangel, there is a new version of Plant Picker that works on the beta. It seems the pre-beta I used had a different registry key and the registry values for the plants were different too. New feature: Button 8 can be used to work around the "Plant settings not retained" issue.
At almost 25 m long Liopleurodon was the biggest carnivore that ever existed. It had an enormous 3 metre long mouth which contained teeth twice as long as those of Tyrannosaurus.
  Ronald Zaalberg, Creator of Fish Picker
Mountainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 11:37 AM   #84
RA
Registered

My first impression of GA was that it looked very nice except for the water. Others have made notes about the plants and rocks but no one has said anything about the water.

Can someone explain why there is so much green at the top of screen? Algae?

I personally feel it throws the whole screensaver off because of this. I like the way Jim's MA and MAT are. The water is nice.

Other than that, I feel that GA is a great product and has a lot of potential. The goldfish have good detail except for the mouth. I do not wish to highly critcal of this product, but there needs to be more detail in the plants, rocks, and plant movement. A change in the water coloration is needed IMO.
RA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 01:32 PM   #85
kona001
New Husband and new Aquarium

OK OK I have been trying my best to get used to the background...I love the way the goldfish looks and moves, except for the mouth. Both upper and bottom part of the mouth should move..(Yes, I have goldfish) Even the width of the mouth increases slightly... But my biggest problem is the background. I don't like any aspect of it. It is eaither too boring, or unrealistic, or something. Sorry to the creators for being too picky. I know a 10MB download of the background is in the works, but I don't think that will make me like it any better. It needs more COLOR...Most goldfish tanks that look the prettiest have exotic colors. Have an option to have the stones on the bottom become whatever color you want them to be. Please add more color to the background.
"We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail"-W2
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 03:44 PM   #86
ROBinLA
Registered

Wow, am I in the minority?

Slight pixelation issues aside, I think the background is really nice. A cool change from the static MA background. I like the lush "ocean jungle" feel of it...especially when the goldfish get caught behind some of the plants and have to "find" their way out. All just IMHO of course!

Rob
ROBinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 03:59 PM   #87
Socrates
Sage

I have no problem with the layout. It's just that in it's raw form, the current graphics problems with the background make the tank seem entriely unbelievable to me.

Did you see this thread on the background? Especially the movie showing the contrast.

https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...&threadid=1551

Once I discovered that the background can be "fixed" manually, I've had the GA running like 10 hours a day.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 07:35 PM   #88
klyntun

Wink No comparison to Marine Aquarium!

I downloaded Beta with bated breath (pun intended), but instead heaved a heavy sigh. There is just no comparison with the realism of the marine tank. The goldfish look straight out of some Walt Disney movie. I get the uncomfortable feeling that they are going to wave a fin at me or try to talk (hence upcoming bubbles?)
Real goldfish, hybrids or not, do not behave like these fish. I have been keeping fish since I was about 10 (so 30 years, more or less), and I have never seen a live goldfish shake its tail like that as a normal form or movement. There is something cartoon like about the whole set-up.
I'm sure the mechanics of creating this were incredible. Congratulations on that. However, as far a realism goes, I immediately uninstalled Beta and put MA back on as my default screen saver.
Old 04-27-2003, 07:38 PM   #89
Socrates
Sage

klyntun

Can you try this for me:

Just turn on Oreo only. Turn on all the plants "]". Then turn on Filter Sharpening and anytialiasing for your video driver.

Then let us know if you feel better about it.

The reason I bring it up is that I felt EXACTLY the same way you do... cartoons and all.

As far as movement... well I don't know about that... have no idea.
Old 04-27-2003, 08:19 PM   #90
klyntun

Oreo is the one.

Thanks, Socrates! I did as you suggested, cycled through the fish, and of the three, Oreo is the most realistic. The anti-aliasing helped some, I guess. Also, now that I've been hyper-critical, there are some things I like about Lifeglobe. I really like the moving plants, although they are quite fuzzy at this stage. I like the gravel; it's quite realistic despite it's fuzzyness.
I think my problem with the tail movement is that with the vigor that these fish shake their tails, they should be shooting across the tank. Instead, they hardly move at all. Also, they do seem to be trying to stay horizontal and afloat. Real fish have what is called an air bladder that keeps them horizontally oriented when not moving.
Anyway, I don't hate it, and I'd probably buy it once the bugs are worked out. Please do something about the background though.
As someone else mentioned, black is the only choice that looks good so far.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:31 PM   #91
Socrates
Sage

Re: Oreo is the one.

Originally posted by klyntun
Thanks, Socrates! I did as you suggested, cycled through the fish, and of the three, Oreo is the most realistic. The anti-aliasing helped some, I guess. Also, now that I've been hyper-critical, there are some things I like about Lifeglobe. I really like the moving plants, although they are quite fuzzy at this stage. I like the gravel; it's quite realistic despite it's fuzzyness.
I think my problem with the tail movement is that with the vigor that these fish shake their tails, they should be shooting across the tank. Instead, they hardly move at all. Also, they do seem to be trying to stay horizontal and afloat. Real fish have what is called an air bladder that keeps them horizontally oriented when not moving.
Anyway, I don't hate it, and I'd probably buy it once the bugs are worked out. Please do something about the background though.
As someone else mentioned, black is the only choice that looks good so far.
The thing is that the bugs will be worked out, and buying now at the discount price will buy you those updates when they come.

The Texture Sharpening feature on NVidia cards gets rid of most of the "crappiness" of the background and plant textures... especially the weird distortion for the moving plants.

See the Antialiasing thread. There is a movie in there showing the difference and a post from Reichart saying the are going to do something to fix it.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:04 AM   #92
Liath
Still here in spirit

Unfortunately, we don’t all use Nvidia cards. My computer is at work, so I have no control over it's hardware. My computer at home runs NT, so it's of no use for this software I agree with EZ Ryder that the green in the background is much too strong, and the background in general needs some work.. I guess I’m going to just have to patiently wait for some real solutions. Grrrr….so jealous
Liath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 05:21 PM   #93
loub516
Registered

I have win xp- home edition
geforce 2mx/mx400
pent 4
1.2 mhz

I f I load random in the fifth slot I only get 4 fish. If I load random in the fourth and fifth slot I get 3 fish. If I load random only in the fourth slot I get five fish. Does anyone else have this problem
loub516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 05:31 PM   #94
cjmaddy
Registered

loub516, - Strange! - Check with the 'W' key they aren't hiding behind the rocks! - It fooled me a few times!
Old 04-28-2003, 05:34 PM   #95
loub516
Registered

Yes, I tried that but still no fish. As long as I don't place random in the fifth slot it works as it should.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:43 PM   #96
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Are you sure that you don't have 'don't duplicate random choices' check?
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 05:45 PM   #97
cjmaddy
Registered

Have you unchecked - 'Don't duplicate random choices' ?

Edit: - Snap!
Old 04-28-2003, 06:40 PM   #98
loub516
Registered

Thanks Marian & Cliff. I didn't notice that check box. Big brain fart. That took care of it.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:47 AM   #99
loub516
Registered

I noticed Oreo does not have telescope eyes. Most all Pandas I've seen are telescope eyed. Just an observation.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:57 AM   #100
loub516
Registered

Here's a picture of one of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg panda tele2.jpg (117.1 KB, 436 views)
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows