Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 07-13-2003, 07:59 AM   #1
Leviathan
Siamese Fighting Fish

On Sale at CompUSA for 7.99??

Hey I just saw something that looks exactly like the Marine Aquarium over at CompUSA for 7.99 after rebates, although the web site says it is manufactured by Encore Software. If this legit, or just a rip off? It can be seen at CompUSA.com under software in advertised deals. 7.99 sounds pretty cheap to me.
Attached Images
File Type: gif screenshot.gif (22.6 KB, 507 views)
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 10:04 AM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, that's the new box, now that Encore has taken over distribution. Good thing almost nobody sends for the rebate, or we'd be in trouble.

I covered this in the News section of the fish-byte.com website, as well as the name change from SereneScreen to SereneScene.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 04:37 PM   #3
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Guess I need to look at Fish-Byte.com more often.

Another version of the Aquarium I need to buy I guess. (got 3 different versions of the box so far)

The $7.99 is crazy. Is Prolific supposed to honor that rebate?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 05:32 PM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

We've done rebates like this before. Here's how it works: The customer sees that the regular price is higher than the competition, so the product must be superior. They see that with the rebate, the price would be lower than the competition, so they buy the product. They enjoy the product, forget all about the rebate, and everyone is happy.

If you listen very carefully on a quiet night, you will hear a faint "Doh!", as someone finds a reciept for an expired rebate.
Jim Sachs
Old 07-13-2003, 06:14 PM   #5
RA
Registered

Embarassed

Had to laugh at the rebates issue cause that's the first thing I do when I buy something with a rebate. I try the item out and if it ok then I immediately fill out the form, cut the UPC code out, and mail everything needed for the rebate!

Heck, I even clip grocery coupons and use them. I get a little perturbed at myself when I go to buy something and I know I have forgotten the coupon at home.

Just a cheap skate at heart......

RA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 06:32 PM   #6
Socrates
Sage

My experience with rebates is that I NEVER forget to send in the form, and whatever is required. I always take careful photo copies of everything as it is prepared.

No matter how carefully I go through the process, even reputable companies only pay out about 50-60% of the time.

I have noticed that, based on the mail-in addresses, most companies seem to use the same one or two rebate processors, and I suspect there is often a rip-off of both the manufacturer and the customer happening at the processor.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 07:06 PM   #7
feldon34
Forum Administrator

It's basically a 3 month loan from the customer to the processor and manufacturer, with a high percentage of people who end up just donating the money.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 07-13-2003, 07:18 PM   #8
Jim Sachs
Developer

An extremely high percentage.
Jim Sachs
Old 07-13-2003, 08:34 PM   #9
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Originally posted by feldon27
Guess I need to look at Fish-Byte.com more often.
How about putting up a link to that site...
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 09:58 PM   #10
feldon34
Forum Administrator

4 articles so far in 2003. Just something to check occasionally.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:47 AM   #11
EddieWan
JediMaster

Most people I know don't think rebates are worth the effort and just don't bother. I always do mine, but it is a pain when months later you get the rebate and no longer know why you got it. I had a 50 dollar rebate once that I never heard from again. Since then I'm very leary of buying anything just for a rebate. I only buy things with a rebate now if I was already planning on getting that item. I think main reason companies do rebates is so when you look at the sales paper you see something that's normally 100 dollars listed at 50 dollars with the small print telling you 100 - 50 = 50 final price. It's a gimick to get you in the store.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
EddieWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 07:04 AM   #12
starfish
Registered

I've been buying software at Amazon because of rebates that make the item free or close to it, but now I'm wondering if I'm going to get anything back.
starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 02:16 PM   #13
Socrates
Sage

Originally posted by EddieWan
Most people I know don't think rebates are worth the effort and just don't bother. I always do mine, but it is a pain when months later you get the rebate and no longer know why you got it. I had a 50 dollar rebate once that I never heard from again. Since then I'm very leary of buying anything just for a rebate. I only buy things with a rebate now if I was already planning on getting that item. I think main reason companies do rebates is so when you look at the sales paper you see something that's normally 100 dollars listed at 50 dollars with the small print telling you 100 - 50 = 50 final price. It's a gimick to get you in the store.
A big reason for doing REBATE or COUPON prices is that they are using a loophole in advertising laws and don't have to provide a rain check.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:11 PM   #14
nicksteel
Registered

I don't know about everyone else, but my rebates from Best Buy have always worked. I especially like the blank CD offers, as I'm into SVCD's and miniDVD's. I purchased a 160BMB hard drive this past weekend from CompUSA with a $40 instant discount and a $70 rebate on a $210 unit. I always submit the rebate paper and have always received the check (after several weeks, of course). The rebates help me stay within my "toys" budget and I always submit them!
nicksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 03:25 PM   #15
Socrates
Sage

Nick,

I have had much better luck when the rebate is from the store itself, rather than the manufacturer. Not sure why.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:39 AM   #16
MadBob
Guitar Man

My rebate was on a Gamecube it was £80 in Argos and N were rebating £30, I posted it expecting to wait months and it came by return of post next day! (slightly over 24hrs turnaround) I swear they must have posted it before they received mine.

anyway its the only rebate I have ever had

I also hate the ''buy it now get all your money back in 5 years" offers, as you never remember to ask for the money back
MadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 09:36 AM   #17
skyhawk
Registered

actually I think of the rebate as a nice little present I send off for and forget about and get. It is kind of like ordering candy, wrapping paper, gifts from the kids who sell fund raiser things
skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive