Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 12-25-2007, 11:07 AM   #21
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

But you didn't say what you ate...

Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes.

Surferminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 12:12 PM   #22
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I guess I could have posted my turkey recipe.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 08:30 PM   #23
jleslie
Engineer

Romanian food on the 24th (eggs in home-made mayonnaise with the yolks replaced with a sauce made from the yolk and other things), then pork, rice and many other things all done together (rather than separate like a burrito) stuffed into cabbage leaves and peppers (I only had the former).

English on 25th, Turkey, Roast Potatoes, Brussel Sprouts, Carrots, baby pork sausages, stuffing and gravy followed by home-made Christmas pud and cream, which was exceptionally nice.

BTW Feldon, the Christmas Dr Who special turned out to be a good one, looked a bit derivative at the start but made a real effort later on...

John
P.S. yes, I am posting this at 2.30am local time...
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:05 AM   #24
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

Yummy, you guys! We had the ham, some steaks, carrots, yams, broccoli, potato salad, custard pie, apple pie, sparkling apple cider.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:19 PM   #25
cjmaddy
Registered

The Goose/Turkey/Ham roll was fantastic! - This is the second one we have had, (we had a similar roll last year).
I don't think I want "just" a turkey, ever again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0555_web1.jpg (266.8 KB, 13 views)
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:12 PM   #26
grape_jellyfish
Registered

Never seen anything like that before, but the turkey my brother cooked in the oil-less cooker was wonderful! Very moist and lots of flavor, we didn't have much time to decide how to prepare so we just covered lightly in oil and sprinkled some seasoning rub on it, good thing about not using a vat of oil is that your seasonings are not washed away, plus you don't have to bother with getting rid of all that oil, not to mention the expense of buying it, we are already talking about getting another turkey soon and experimenting with different marinades.

Hope everyone who celebrates Christmas had a wonderful one!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....It's learning to Dance in the Rain.
grape_jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:13 PM   #27
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by jleslie:
BTW Feldon, the Christmas Dr Who special turned out to be a good one, looked a bit derivative at the start but made a real effort later on...  
I have acquired it. We'll watch it sometime today or tomorrow. Just watched the finale of Torchwood (I know it ended ages ago).
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 12-26-2007, 01:14 PM   #28
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Cliff, is this a "butcher" made special beast available in the grocery store? Do you roll your own? An interesting combination... is it de boned, how do you carve it... one slice has all three meats?
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:41 PM   #29
cjmaddy
Registered

Ralph. - Yes, they are specially made by the supplier. As you can see, you choose the combination from their options. - It is boneless. - And if you carve a nice thick slice, say half-an-inch, you get all three meats, with the stuffing in the centre! ... Delicious!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #30
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

I want to explain to all you foreigners what's on our Christmas table here in Sweden, but I just keep on getting stuck in the translations...

The short version is that it's a two-part smörgåsbord (one of the few Swedish words incorporated into English) with fish dishes in the first and meat in the second. Pickled herring (with various flavours) and potatoes is an absolute must and also some sort of smoked salmon is pretty common. Various versions of red beet salad is also expected. For the second part a Christmas ham is central along with meatballs and the equivalence of cocktail weiners. Various patés and such (goes well with some Cumberland sauce) are also present.

After this we eat "Janssons Frestelse" (Jansson's temptation) which is a traditional anchovy and potato gratin dish. Depending on stomach capacity, some then manage to find room for some risgrynsgröt (a sweet rice porridge served with milk and cinnamon), but it's more common to eat this on the morning of the 25th.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:00 PM   #31
grape_jellyfish
Registered

Wow that is quite a feast! Most of it sounded pretty good (cept for the anchovy part). One of my favorite things about the whole deal is going from room to room visiting while smelling all the delicious food cooking, it's almost as much fun sniffing it as it is eating it.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....It's learning to Dance in the Rain.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:05 PM   #32
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

...and then there's next day leftovers!!

Old 12-26-2007, 06:13 PM   #33
jleslie
Engineer

That's my one regret about getting Christmas dinner at my sister's, no leftovers, I really love cold turkey and easily eat it up.

(I usually buy a turkey breast joint, so it's all good, plus it cooks in a much more sensible time, I usually get one for 8-10 people and feed two plus leftovers.)

Also we (in the UK, generally) eat Christmas Dinner on the 25th, unlike some countries (Tiny?) who do it on the 24th.

John
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:30 PM   #34
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Yep, we're exchanging gifts and everything on Christmas eve...

I also forgot one important part - "must" which is a carbonated drink which looks similar to Coca Cola, but tastes completely different of course. Must is only available in the shops at Christmas (julmust) and Easter (påskmust) and totally outsells other softdrinks then.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:17 PM   #35
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

This link might be more helpful for English speakers.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:54 AM   #36
Rainyfly
Registered

Tiny
My husband and I had the pleasure of enjoying a traditional smörgåsbord at the Grand Hotel in Stockholm. Just amazing!

Our family enjoy our Christmas meal cold. We usually have turkey, ham and roast pork with a variety of salads and fresh fruit (rockmelon, peaches, nectarines and cherries are particularly nice this time of year).

Followed by trifle (my husband's favourite) and pavlova (that's for me!). It was quite cool this Christmas at about 25 degrees celsius. Sometimes we get to 42 on Christmas Day!

Rainyfly
Rainyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:52 PM   #37
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I love to make trifle. Well, I love to eat it. Making it takes a bit of work. I buy a vanilla pound cake and then drizzle with sherry, raspberry preserves, fresh raspberries, and a vanilla custard I make on the stove. Repeat 3 layers and top with whipped cream.

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle:
risgrynsgröt (a sweet rice porridge served with milk and cinnamon)  
Sounds like Rice Pudding, which I love. Ours usually has raisins too.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:33 AM   #38
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Yes, I love rice pudding too. Do you have a recipe?

Our fried turkey came out delicious! But I will not fry one again. I felt lost in my kitchen without the bird guiding my moves, if you know what I mean. Beside it put the price of the turkey at three times more it usual low price!

Water got into the oil outside when we had a decent rain, although the lid was on the pot. Autrey decided to cook off the water and heated up the oil, he left and did not tell anyone that he had lit the burner and I smelt grease burning and after a search I found it smoking away. Kaylon turned it off for me. Of course any thought I had of re-using the oil for frying inside was gone.
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:36 AM   #39
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Yes, peanut oil is unbelievably expensive. I use to use it for tempura and it was PRICEY!
Old 12-29-2007, 12:07 PM   #40
grape_jellyfish
Registered

Get the oil-less cooker I mentioned and you never have to buy the oil again, or worry about disposing of it, plus the turkey taste just as good if not better.

Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive