Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 04-13-2004, 05:45 AM   #1
drfish
the Doc

SSA won't always save your screen.

Originally posted by drfish
I think I may have mentioned this before, but not all screen savers save your screen either! In fact, Jim's didn't for Jennifer's computer. She has a Dell and she had to go through 3 monitors (in 1½ years) because the "static" part of the MA burned into her screen very badly (well, the first tmie it was her wallpaper, she didn't have the MA then). After Dell shipped her three different replacements (all the same model) they finally sent her a nice Trinitron and we haven't had a problem since. It was weird to always see a ghosted image of the coral whenever you were looking at a light window.

The moral if the story is beware turning off automatic lights if you have a cheap screen!
It took awhile to find that post... Anyway, I came across this problem again (last week or so, I just keep forgetting to bring it up)... This time with my Grandfather's computer and his nice 21" screen.

Last time I was at his house I noticed he was still running a .99x (L maybe?) version of MA (I visit him more often than that, I just don't mess with his computer) so I tapped the mouse so I could dig up his new regcode and hook him up with 2.01 and noticed as soon as IE opened that the brownish outline of the coral from MA was burned into his screen! Now he has (well, had...) a nice monitor not a cheapo from Dell, luckily it doesn't bother him (he just thought it was dirty) but still...

It's probably an extreme case because he doesn't use his computer often and leaves in on all the time, so we're talking about ~2 years of 23/7 SSA with automatic lights turned off (yeah, he's not trying to conserve energy...) in order to do this...

Anyway, so I set him up with 2.01 running in wide screen mode at a higher resolution with automatic lights turned on.

<font size="1">*JUST A WARNING*</font>
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 06:08 AM   #2
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Oh, yeah. The classic 23/7 geriatric computer user. I can just picture him turning it off for an hour in the morning before booting up again...

(or did you mean he uses it for about an hour a day?)

/Air Tiny (#23)
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 07:08 AM   #3
drfish
the Doc

I can't tell if you're joking or not...
Old 04-13-2004, 08:50 AM   #4
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Both of course!

Line 1: Irony
Line 2: Serious
Line 3: Back when MJ & the bulls did a 3-peat I was glued to the set everytime there was a game on (one game per week at the most )

/Tiny Explanation (Tiny Addy?)
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:38 AM   #5
cjmaddy
Registered

Line 3: Back when MJ & the bulls did a 3-peat I was glued to the set everytime there was a game on (one game per week at the most )
....................... Call that an explanation???

\Geriatric computer user.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:54 AM   #6
drfish
the Doc

Ok then... 23/7 as in he only uses the computer for about an hour a day...

Anyway, has this ever happened to anyone else? Jim/Prolific dudes, have you had any other customers report this? I've seen it happen on 3 or 4 screens now (can't remember how many Jennifer went though...) I can't be the only one???
Old 04-13-2004, 10:18 AM   #7
feldon34
Forum Administrator

What do you expect if you turn off the automatic lighting?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:33 AM   #8
drfish
the Doc

To be warned that doing so might adversely affect the screen saver's screen saving abilities?

I'm not upset about it, just curious... If the water dappling and the fish swimming in front of the sections that get permanently ghosted isn't enough to prevent burn in, well, people should know... Right?
Old 04-13-2004, 10:47 AM   #9
feldon34
Forum Administrator

WARNING: Coffee is hot.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 04-13-2004, 11:09 AM   #10
drfish
the Doc

I don't think this was a McDonalds moment Morgan... I doubt most of today's computer users even know what a screen saver is really for... I know I've had to explain it more than a couple times...

Yeah, I made a stupid mistake and I should have known better, oops, sucks to be me. I just assumed that with fish swimming and light play moving it would be safe... But most of my friends/family/coworkers would just be wondering what that fuzzy brown stuff inside their screen was...
Old 04-13-2004, 12:46 PM   #11
Jim Sachs
Developer

I stopped doing the customer service for SereneScreen about 3 years ago, so I don't know if they've had any feedback on this.

My personal monitor, a 19" Sony, shows no burn-in after 4 years of running the Aquarium almost constantly. Next time I'm in the local CompUSA, I'll look at their bank of 30-or-so monitors to see if any are showing symptoms. They display only the Aquarium, all day, every day.

It seems like only yesterday that we were having this discussion, with everyone asking for the ability to turn off automatic lights, and promising they wouldn't complain when their monitor burnt in. In reality, it's been several years, so I guess a lot of new customers were never in on the discussions. It may be time for a notice. Here it is:

Automatic lights are ON by default. Turning them off for long periods of time may cause burn-in of the image on some CRT monitors.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:50 PM   #12
drfish
the Doc

Ahhh... I didn't know it had been discussed before...
Old 04-13-2004, 06:05 PM   #13
De Bobo Mon
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
I stopped doing the customer service for SereneScreen about 3 years ago, so I don't know if they've had any feedback on this.

My personal monitor, a 19" Sony, shows no burn-in after 4 years of running the Aquarium almost constantly. Next time I'm in the local CompUSA, I'll look at their bank of 30-or-so monitors to see if any are showing symptoms. They display only the Aquarium, all day, every day.

It seems like only yesterday that we were having this discussion, with everyone asking for the ability to turn off automatic lights, and promising they wouldn't complain when their monitor burnt in. In reality, it's been several years, so I guess a lot of new customers were never in on the discussions. It may be time for a notice. Here it is:

Automatic lights are ON by default. Turning them off for long periods of time may cause burn-in of the image on some CRT monitors.
Not to mention Plasma displays which have a serious issue with burn-in...
De Bobo Mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 08:45 PM   #14
Panthera
Hygenius

Hmm, I have my automatic lights turned off because I don't like it that way and I always use MA.. guess I'll start switching screen savers every now and then.
Panthera Tigris Altaica
The largest living cat in the world, the Siberian Tiger possesses both
grace and beauty. Although it spends a lot of time hunting,
its reputation as a vicious killer is undeserved ....
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:55 PM   #15
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
Something else to include in the Read Me file.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 11:05 PM   #16
klyntun

Will someone define "long periods of time" please? I have the MA running without automatic lights for at most three or four hours at a time. Do I need to worry? So far I've noticed no ill effects.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:13 AM   #17
Sergiales
Software Engineer

Klyntun,
Yes, take care about static pixeling in your monitor. It's a reality: pixels burn (specially in TFT).

De Bobo Mon,
Yes, LCD and TFT monitors suffer from easy pixel burn-in. I have a 17" TFT and have some noticeable, yet burned pixels

**Note**
what it happens to my TFT and what I've related here, has nothing to do with MA, ok?
Sincerely,
Sergio.
Sergiales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 07:55 AM   #18
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by patscarr
Something else to include in the Read Me file.
Does anyone read the Read Me? It still largely describes 1.0.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive