Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 07-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #1661
Stew2000
Registered

A Duck pond. now that is a good idea
Stew2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #1662
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, another one of the million good ideas that I'll be leaving to some other entrepeneur to follow up on. My niche is desktop life - environments which are scaled to actually fit into a large monitor. One duck is about all that would fit into a monitor, and he would be severely cramped up against the glass.

But you're right, my rapidly advancing years are a major concern. I was just a kid, went out for a doughnut, and I'm suddenly nearly 60. Dying has become very popular among people in my general age group (Tim Russert, George Carlin), or even younger (Randy Pausch). Some claim it's a great career move, but I've never seen much of a future in it.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #1663
Tarkus
Shark Bytes

Originally posted by debavocet:
How about throwing in a duck tank?  
Or maybe even a dunk tank, if he wants to start doing games.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #1664
cjmaddy
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
.... my rapidly advancing years are a major concern. I was just a kid, went out for a doughnut, and I'm suddenly nearly 60. ...  
Nearly 60? - Jim, you are but a youngster! - Cut down on those doughnuts and I guarantee that you will be turning out screensavers and movies in 20 years time....

.... Mind you, I hope we'll have seen MA3 by then!

Keep checking the obituaries, - if you're not there, you've nothing to worry about!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #1665
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
. . . I was just a kid, went out for a doughnut, and I'm suddenly nearly 60 . . .  
Yup, those doughnuts can be very bad for you...
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:18 AM   #1666
jleslie
Engineer

Following my recent visit to Berlin Zoo Aquarium (well worth a visit, BTW) I came away with the impression that the fish I'd most like to see added is the Banggai Cardinal. After doing some searching (prior to posting) the only comments I can find are that it would require MA3 to be able to support this. Is it a likely addition within a sensible (I know...) time period?
BTW I have lots of hi-def videos (1080i) and DVD scale-downs from there, but I haven't worked out the best way to share them yet.
John
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:25 AM   #1667
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Banggai is on the special creatures list, I think.

It will probably be awhile before Jim gets to those.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:07 AM   #1668
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

That's one of my favs as well. If I recall correctly Jim did one of those a long long time ago, but it never made it into the tank for some reason.
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:28 AM   #1669
Jim Sachs
Developer

It hasn't made it into the tank yet because it has a different fin configuration than my "fish template". Like the Lionfish, it requires special movement algorithms. I plan to add it with the new fish models.
Jim Sachs
Old 10-13-2008, 12:19 PM   #1670
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Too cool.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #1671
dboyd420
Registered

It would be really cool to include this great odd couple in the creatures pack for MA3. This Threadfin goby and Pistol Shrimp live together in the same hole. The shrimp is always at work on remodeling the home; and since he is blind, he relies on the goby to watch his back. They work so great together and are a joy to watch.

http://www.astec.ac.uk/staff/goudket/Reefgallery/yellownose.htm
dboyd420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #1672
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Wow!

Old 11-07-2008, 03:22 AM   #1673
fozzy
Registered

Possibly a bit far fetched... but i love that fish.. any chance for a masked puffer? They are way too nice...
fozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #1674
Jim Sachs
Developer

A puffer fish is planned. Surprisingly, the ability to puff up is not too difficult - a simple morph. It's the spikes that will cause me trouble. This is because polygon edge antialising has not been properly supported since the 3Dfx VooDoo days. Those were amazing cards, but you had to write applications in Glide, their proprietary language, to take full advantage of the card's power. (But Glide was a very good API.)
Jim Sachs
Old 11-07-2008, 11:00 AM   #1675
Stew2000
Registered

What would a puffer fish react to?
Tapping on the glass isn't the best thing to do
Stew2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #1676
Jim Sachs
Developer

It would react to any surprise, like a sudden increase in the stock market.
Jim Sachs
Old 11-07-2008, 06:26 PM   #1677
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #1678
debavocet
Welcome to the Quack House!

Many puffers have short or absent spines. Wouldn't one of those be easier to make?
debavocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #1679
Jim Sachs
Developer

I hadn't really considered it. I'm not sure people would recognize it as a puffer if it didn't have spikes.
Jim Sachs
Old 11-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #1680
fozzy
Registered

The masked puffer has small ones i suppose, or at least they are not so easy to be spotted
I've got this video (sorry for the quality it was a night dive) where you can see the curious way it swims... later on in the video a lionfish feeding...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctg48GAXrT4
fozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows