Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 05-09-2003, 06:56 PM   #761
Jim Sachs
Developer

Are you talking about a fish-only pack? I'm certainly not planning any. The idea is for the Creature Paks to contain two or three invertibrates, a couple of unusual fish, and maybe four regular fish.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 07:22 PM   #762
GreenHsiF
SereneScreenFanatic

Yeah thats what i was talking about,guess i heard wrong.Have you decided what unusual fish and regular fish you will use?
GreenHsiF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 08:49 PM   #763
Jim Sachs
Developer

Nope.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-09-2003, 09:26 PM   #764
GreenHsiF
SereneScreenFanatic

will there be a school of fish?
Old 05-10-2003, 12:33 AM   #765
Jim Sachs
Developer

A school of 3 small fish will count as 1.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-11-2003, 08:01 PM   #766
GreenHsiF
SereneScreenFanatic

Will starfish be able to stick to the rocks?
Old 05-11-2003, 08:26 PM   #767
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Hopefully it doesn't stick to anything.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 11:16 AM   #768
RBEmerson
Registered

Er, wading through this thread is a little intense (about 2+ years of notes, right?). How about perhaps re-starting it or at least summarizing the main points somewhere?

As to fish suggestions, being mainly a Caribbean diver, I'd like to see more Caribbean species, of course. Sargeant Majors would be neat as would blue chromis, and... well, all of Paul Humann's Caribbean books (gotta include the invertabrates and corals, of course) would nice, please.

A couple of details which, I suspect, are easier to ask for than to complete but... 1) a small amount of "whale snot" (general floating debris) in the water would help give a better illusion of depth of field; 2) even in a relatively shallow (i.e., "front to back", not "top to bottom") tank, fish further from the viewer are ever so slightly faded compared to closer fish, adding this effect would also help with the illusion of depth.

Someone touched on the bubble sound being repetitive. IMHO it's pretty good at avoiding repetition unless you listen closely but... perhaps mixing multiple bubble tracks so the "seams", where they repeat, don't always match up predictably would help here. The brain is pretty good at picking out patterns (even where they don't really exist); enhanced randomness in the sound track is the goal here.

Finally, beware of the truck-sized Swiss Army knife! I worked with a group that developed an astronomical image enhancement program (Registax - uses wavlet processing - ask me about it off-list, pls) and the greatest challenge was avoiding adding so many features (hence the term "truck-sized Swiss Army knife") the program would only run on the biggest and fastest of PC's.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits.
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 12:39 PM   #769
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Michael has taken a few passes through this topic and gotten all the major fish and creature requests for which people posted photos.

The features page is on my To Do list once I get some other PHP projects done.

As for the voting, we had some discussions about this last night. This will be an unusual situation because more fish and creatures will be added and it will be nice if people can come back a month later and the page remembers their vote, instead of their vote counting as a new person.

A cookie for the wishlist voting is starting to sound like the only sane way to do this, short of asking for everyone to enter their e-mail address before voting.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 05-13-2003, 01:13 PM   #770
RBEmerson
Registered

Um, maybe worrying about "ballot stuffing" really doesn't matter that much. If "sperm whale" spikes off the chart for votes but the general chatter is for "herring", perhaps the vote is skewed. But in general I think you'll find the results will track general chatter and putting a vote validation control in place isn't worth the effort. After all, I'm sure there're other user input streams with their wish lists, etc.

I'd be very surprised if there weren't some definite themes to requests. My guesses are "dangerous" fish (sharks to morays to sea snakes to...?), "pretty" fish (various colors, markings, etc. depending on whether someone's experience is keeping fish, diving, or cruising public aquariums), "odd" fish (frogfish? stargazers? flying gounards?), and while we're at it, how about vertibrates like... mammals (how hard can a seal be? ).
Old 05-13-2003, 02:49 PM   #771
RBEmerson
Registered

Fade in, Fade out...

Here's a thought... why not fade in both the video and audio at the start of operation and then fade back to the desktop at the end of operation. For some reason, the start and stop of the audio, in particular, seems rather abrupt, possibly because it literally begins with a pop.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:20 PM   #772
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Sounds like they skimped on a capictor for the sound card when making your laptop.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:49 PM   #773
GreenHsiF
SereneScreenFanatic

Cool Flying Gurnard

This is what you would like to see in the aquarium?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flying gurnard.jpg (11.4 KB, 166 views)
Old 05-13-2003, 08:09 PM   #774
RBEmerson
Registered

Re: Flying Gurnard

Originally posted by GreenHsiF
This is what you would like to see in the aquarium?
Sure! TNX for the image.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:16 PM   #775
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Has anyone mention the cuddlefish. I don't how differcult it would be to do, or if it would be compatiable with the other marine life in the aquarium. Just a thought, did not see it in the wish list.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cuddlefish2.jpg (23.0 KB, 135 views)
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 05:39 PM   #776
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, cuttlefish will probably be part of the first Creature Pak.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-14-2003, 06:17 PM   #777
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Added!! Thanks for the photo Marian.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 06:21 PM   #778
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Thanks
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 06:39 PM   #779
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Most Welcome

The wishlist photo page is moving along nicely, keep those emails and posts coming.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 06:53 AM   #780
RBEmerson
Registered

Speaking of cuttlefish...

Originally posted by Marian Nichols
Has anyone mention the cuddlefish. I don't how differcult it would be to do, or if it would be compatiable with the other marine life in the aquarium. Just a thought, did not see it in the wish list.
...I saw three while snorkeling in the BVI. Two just basically hovered in the water with their tentacles extended in front in a loose grouping. But one clearly had spent its youth either watching Star Trek re-runs or watching Woodstock far too often. The Trekkie or hippie wannbe carried his (or her) tentacles in a definite V. I was getting either "Live long and prosper" or "peace, man". This lasted for maybe five minutes until I dove down for a closer look and the group moved away from the big wriggly pink thing coming towards them.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows