Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 12-15-2001, 11:23 AM   #1
jwdd
Registered

Screensaver does not fill screen

Ever since I installed Windows XP Professional my screensaver does not fill the entire screen. I have it set to match my desk top resolution. My desk top and other screensavers fill the entire screen. Also, I noticed the frame rate is much slower than with Win 98. I am assuming that XP installed a different video driver for my video card. Not sure that would cause screensaver not to fill the entire screen. Any suggestions?
jwdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 11:43 AM   #2
jwdd
Registered

An added note

I tried the trial version that came bundled with XP PLUS and it fills the screen. This does not make sense to me.
Old 12-15-2001, 12:02 PM   #3
Jim Sachs
Developer

There are two cures for the Aquarium not filling the screen if the Desktop does.

The first is simply to adjust the height and width of the monitor when the Aquarium is on. Most monitors made in the last 5 years will remember these settings for each resolution.

The second is to make sure that all 3 parameters of the screen resolution for the Aquarium are the same as your Desktop. Most people just set them both to 1024x768, but forget about the other 2 parameters - pixel depth and refresh rate. If there is any kind of "click" from your monitor when the Aquarium starts, then at least one of the parameters is changing.

DX8's inclination to change the refresh rate for Direct3D applications has been discussed here many times, but the simple fix is to use DXDIAG.exe->MoreHelp->Override to set the Direct3D refresh rate the same as in the Monitor tab of your Display Settings sheet.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 12:10 PM   #4
jwdd
Registered

Jim,
I do get a click when turning on screensaver, but also got it when I was using Win 98. Why doesn't this affect the trial version?
Where do I find DXDIAG.EXE?

Thanks
Old 12-15-2001, 12:22 PM   #5
jwdd
Registered

I found it and changed it. It worked but I still get the click when I turn on the screensaver. In regards to pixel depth are you referring to 16 bit vs. 32 bit? Is the clicking hard on my monitor?
Old 12-15-2001, 12:36 PM   #6
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, pixel depth refers to 16 or 32-bit. The Microsoft version can use 32-bit, but the full version needs 16. Some cards, like 3Dfx, automatically switch to 16-bit for all 3D applications, others must be set manually, and some just re-interpret 32-bit graphics as 16-bit on the fly.

As far as frequent resolution changes being hard on the monitor, I can't say. None of my monitors here show any ill effects after several years of constant res changes, but I'm not an expert.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 01:54 PM   #7
feldon34
Forum Administrator

99L (and presumably 1.0) only click once when changing resolutions.

As has been mentioned, the full version of the Aquarium is a completely different set of code than the XP Plus demo. As a result, it uses a different resolution and bit depth. The quickest solution is to run the Aquarium and recalibrate your monitor to the right dimensions for that resolution and bit depth. This will not affect the dimensions or appearance of any other resolution or bit depth.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive