Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows
Notices

Old 05-08-2003, 01:09 AM   #1
Diver
Registered

More plants to select from and more color

I am enjoying the Goldfish aquarium as much as I do MA, however, I use to be an aquarium enthusist (freshwater tropical) and I like a lot of plants. I personally would like a few more plants to chose from and some with color to them other than just green. I can not actually name any now (been out way too long) but I know they are out there and I think a little more color variety in the plants would make it more exciting.

Also, I do not really know it this sort of action is desirable, but I would like to see the fish from time to time (not often) like force its way through a section of plants rather than just swim behind them and turn around a swim back out. I know nothing about Goldfish and their actions but it seems reasonable to me that they would not always just swim behind and back out again but struggle through the plants at some point. If my observations are just plain silly, just ignore the swimming part but I would really like more color in my plants.
Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 02:27 PM   #2
IXNAY
Green Frog

More plants would be cool, well it's just an beta yet...

Your second idea should be hard to do I think
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 04:00 PM   #3
Wizwad
Only me...

The second idea is far too complicated for a collection of 1s and 0s with no physical reality - at least for these screensavers. I'm guessing it would screw up the collision avoidance algorithms quite spectacularly and completely destroy the current illusion of reality.

Otherwise it would be a wonderful idea.
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 04:11 PM   #4
cjmaddy
Registered

More colour?

Diver, - I kept freshwater tropicals for years, and I think I'm right when I say that goldfish, being cold freshwater, are even more restrictive. - But I can't recall any plants that weren't some shade of green! - Other than the flowers on some floating plants. ............. I could be wrong!

What colours had you in mind? ...... Perhaps I've missed something! ......... Are you thinking saltwater tropical?
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 06:37 PM   #5
Diver
Registered

CJ,
Here is a link to several pictures. Though I personally never had any in my aquariums, I believe these are all freshwater aquatics.
http://www.aquabotanic.com/gallery.htm

Reason I am even mentioning it is that while most folks probably do not have any of the more exotic colorful varieties, GA is an idealized aquarium and as such, should at least have the "option" to create more plants (at least in the back of the tank) and some more colorful varieties.

I swear I see some neon tetras in this photo

Diver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paulvelasco.jpg (73.1 KB, 697 views)
Old 05-08-2003, 06:49 PM   #6
Diver
Registered

Another pic which shows some red plant leaves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic8.jpg (81.5 KB, 691 views)
Old 05-09-2003, 12:57 AM   #7
memilm
Registered

Great pixs... It would be tooo nice to have an GA looking like those...
memilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 09:05 AM   #8
IXNAY
Green Frog

Hehe yup
IXNAY

- My Private Homepage -
Old 05-09-2003, 09:13 AM   #9
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Foxtail is a brownish red plant that looks very much like the one plant in GA that everyone says has the blue on it. I keep a tall one , plastic, in my real goldfish aquarium. I've attach a photo. As an after-thought why not water-lillies. But I know that goes more towards a goldfish pond than an aquarium. But I have one in this tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foxtail.jpg (89.6 KB, 620 views)
Write paranormal mysteries. Six books so far.
Marian Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 11:56 AM   #10
cjmaddy
Registered

Diver, - I stand corrected! - Some very nice shades of red there. But are they suitable for cold-water tanks? - I have no experience of goldfish, but I always think of them as cold-water, - perhaps if the 'fancy' goldfish require higher temperatures, then any of the freshwater tropical plants would be suitable. But cold water may be more restrictive to the more exotic types of plant. ......... Can someone tell us?

But I do like some of those plants shown on the site you gave. Thanks!

Last edited by cjmaddy; 05-09-2003 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:28 PM   #11
Diver
Registered

CJ,
I too know nothing about Goldfish. That was the reason I was handing the theory that since GA is an idealized aquarium in the first place why not take a little creative license and make a more pleasing environment even if it perhaps stretches the bounds of nature just a little bit. Most folks like you and I only want something that is pleasing to look at any way. Your thoughts?

Diver

Originally posted by cjmaddy
Diver, - I stand corrected! - Some very nice shades of red there. But are they suitable for cold-water tanks? - I have no experience of goldfish, but I always think of them as cold-water, - perhaps if the 'fancy' goldfish require higher temperatures, then any of the freshwater tropical plants would be suitable. But cold water may be more restrictive to the less exotic type of plants. ......... Can someone tell us?

But I do like some of those plants shown on the site you gave. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2003, 01:41 PM   #12
cjmaddy
Registered

Originally posted by Diver
That was the reason I was handing the theory that since GA is an idealized aquarium in the first place why not take a little creative license and make a more pleasing environment even if it perhaps stretches the bounds of nature just a little bit.
I think there may be an Achilles' heel in your theory there, Diver. - I'm not certain about Prolific, but we have all come to respect Jim's belief that nothing that isn't within the bounds of nature, even by just a little bit, can be considered acceptable! ............. He's a perfectionist, you know!

But then again, - GA is Prolific, and they have hinted at 'toys' ..... so who knows, - coloured plants?
Old 05-09-2003, 02:51 PM   #13
IXNAY
Green Frog

Hey thats a cool tank, fits 100% to the goldfish, it's the best goldfishtank I've ever seen I think, can you post more pics?

Whats that thing next to the skull???
IXNAY

- My Private Homepage -
Old 05-09-2003, 04:03 PM   #14
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Are you referring to the brocken clay pots? There are also clear marbles on the surface of the white gravel. I have loads of photos at my MSN web group, if you care to browse there. Just click on the www at the bottom of one of my posts. I have plenty pics of the 38 gal there also. I broke it down and sold it and replace it this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg one.jpg (71.5 KB, 581 views)
Old 05-09-2003, 07:46 PM   #15
feldon34
Forum Administrator

If you want people to able to click on the address, wrap {url} and {/url} around it (substituting { and } with [ and ]).
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 09:36 PM   #16
Diver
Registered

That may well be true, and would be a point against the GA in my opinion. I realize Jim is a perfectionist, however we are not. Think for a moment. Do we as hobbists create our aquarium within the bounds of reality? We have our setup with fish from all over the world, and care little if they in nature would be found in the same ocean or sea or lagoon. We mix our tropical fish from all regions simply because its pretty.

Same for Marine aquarium I would imagine. Think someone would care if they had three fish in the tank that came from different parts of the world? Or have a piece of coral in their tank that would not in nature be found with their yellow tang or Angel? Why then would it matter if you had a fish from India and a plant from Hawaii? My opinion, is that we are creating our own small world when we build our tanks, and I would certainly take more license with GA if I were Prolific and offer more plant varieties and colors regardless if they came from the same area or not. Does this make any sense at all?

Diver
Originally posted by cjmaddy
I think there may be an Achilles' heel in your theory there, Diver. - I'm not certain about Prolific, but we have all come to respect Jim's belief that nothing that isn't within the bounds of nature, even by just a little bit, can be considered acceptable! ............. He's a perfectionist, you know!

But then again, - GA is Prolific, and they have hinted at 'toys' ..... so who knows, - coloured plants?
Old 05-10-2003, 05:35 AM   #17
cjmaddy
Registered

Sorry Diver, but I think you may have missed my point a little. Indeed fish or plants from all over the world can and do coexist in the same tank, but only if water conditions, temperature, compatibility, etc. - can be satisfied!
Jim's point, and mine also, for I too am a perfectionist! (sorry!), is that although this is a computer simulation of an aquarium, only fish and/or plants, (and coral in the marine), should be used that could survive and flourish, were it a real life aquarium! - Hence my point that the more exotic coloured freshwater 'tropical' plants may not survive in a 'cold-water' goldfish tank!

We mix our tropical fish from all regions simply because its pretty.
No! ..... only if nature allows us to! ............. Otherwise, dead fish, - or dead plants!

ps, - Don't get me wrong though, - if some of those reddish plants are suitable, lets have em!
Old 05-10-2003, 04:20 PM   #18
Marian Nichols
~Author~

Thanks feldon, I don't think I would have figure that one out. I was wondering.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:44 PM   #19
IXNAY
Green Frog

I'll check the site!!!
IXNAY

- My Private Homepage -
Old 05-15-2003, 06:45 AM   #20
Reichart
CTO Prolific Publishing

We are working on more plants. For the ¡§perfectionists¡¨ we have to consider several things. By default the tank should come as nature would support it. Meaning, plants that would flourishes as Addy stated.

It is a difficult issue regarding allowing people free choice in a ¡§simulator.¡¨ It can be assumed for example that when you put a cold water a warm water plant together, one is going to die. So the Tank simulates the first day

But this also has no educational value, as a matter of fact, it inadvertently allows the presumption to be made that mixing is possible. Our line of products may very well be responsible for many people getting involved with Aquariums.

Personally my appreciation level has risen greatly.

We will do our best to add features responsibly.
Reichart... , CTO, Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Come visit us Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Reichart is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > Prolific/LifeGlobe Products > Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows