Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 04-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
memobug
Registered

Unhappy Big trouble with Authentication

I have never had so much difficulty installing something as simple as a screensaver! Although my computer, which was purchased as a demo came from the store already running Marine Aquarium 2.6 + Time, I felt that I should support the developer, so last night when I was in Office Depot I picked up a copy of Marine Aquarium v2.6 for 20 bucks.

Then after I had reformatted the system I installed Marine Aquarium from the CD. What a mistake! The program keeps prompting me to insert the CD every time I make a change. Try to change a setting, anything at all, "Insert the CD!" If I want try to preview it goes into authentication mode and asks me to register, install an upgrade CD or a key.

On top of this whenever I eject the CD I get some Windows exception error. Finally, to add insult to injury, I find online here that to get the latest version I have to pony up another $10.

At this point I feel pretty ripped off. It's upsetting whenever DRM gets in the way of the experience, and I've spent $60 of time on a ten dollar program. I don't think I've ever not received a validation key with a program before that required validation. The idea that I am going to keep this CD handy to validate every change is ludicrous.

P.S. I tried to send these comments privately but the forum says I don't have privileges for that.

Matt
memobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

First,

Welcome to the forums, Matt.

I am sorry you are having trouble. I am not sure why the Aquarium is not acknowledging the presence of the CD. It should not keep prompting like that.

I also do not know if there is a method to convert the keycode on your CD into a real 20 digit keycode or not, but I think perhaps that would be what you are looking for if you do not want to depend upon the physical CD.

I know this is the last thing you want to hear, but it sounds like buying the Aquarium directly from SereneScreen.com as a digital download (and then burning it to a CD or keeping it on a memory stick) would have suited your needs much better and been less of a hassle.

Buying online, your e-mail address is always on file so you can request a copy of your 20 digit keycode if you ever lose it, and you have access to upgrades at a discount. Purchasers of Marine Aquarium 2.6 through the website since November got a free upgrade to Marine Aquarium 3.

The painful truth here is that Jim makes approximately $1.00 on the retail physical boxed version of the Aquarium. To make the Marine Aquarium 3 upgrade free from the retail version would be giving away several years of effort for $1 and that is just not reasonable.

The boxed Aquarium in stores acts more as an advertisement for the website than actually selling product. Most people who buy the Aquarium on CD aren't even aware that the website exists.

The developer will see your message here and hopefully contact you or comment here and see what can be done to help out this situation.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
Jim Sachs
Developer

memobug - send me a private message with your info, and I'll forward it to Prolific. I'm sure they can straighten out your problems.

What Morgan says about my preferring that people buy online is true, with the exception of the amount that I get from the CD version. He overestimated it by roughly an order of magnitude.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

To send a private message to Jim, click on his name and choose Send a private message to Jim Sachs.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #5
memobug
Registered

Thanks for the welcome and the explanation on the upgrade policy. I was confused by your 10-10-08 post on the MA Beta forum under the topic 'Marine Aquarium Beta Release Download' (Sorry I can't link directly because Steve Jobs thinks the iPhone is perfect) where it says roughly, 'Marine Aquarium 3 is free to recent purchasers of Marine Aquarium 2.6' in green text*. My retail box says Marine Aquarium and in very small font, v 2.6

Anyway, congrats to both of you on a thriving community of users and a great program.

Regards,

Matt

*It might be good to clarify this applies to the download only.

Last edited by memobug; 04-11-2009 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Typo
memobug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, v2.6
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive