Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 04-17-2002, 01:51 PM   #1
some guy
Registered

Big Grin Problems with version 1.1

I'm having the following problem with version 1.1, and I'd like to see if any of you can help. I am running Windows ME:

Whenever the aquarium is running and another program interrupts (error message, internet pop-up, etc.) the aquarium stops on the monitor but I can still hear the bubbles, indicating that the aquarium is still running. Additionally, when I attempt to manually start SereneScreen Aquarium, nothing happens...which makes sense because the program is already operating. Also, I cannot press Control + Alt + Delete to force quit the aquarium because somehow the program disables this function. Nothing happens when I press Control + Alt + Delete. Consequently, I cannot quit the aquarium unless I restart the computer.

There is one way to get into the program once it has been interrupted. If I wait long enough (sometimes half-an-hour), the SereneScreen tab magically appears on the taskbar (along with all the other windows). If I click on the tab, the aquarium runs like normal and I can quit the aquarium by hitting escape. That's not a very good sollution because I don't feel like listening to bubbles until the thing shows up.

Can anyone help?
some guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 02:39 PM   #2
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

If you hold down Alt and press Tab, - is there an Aquarium icon visible in the window in the middle of the screen?
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 09:18 PM   #3
just some guy
Banned

Last edited by just some guy; 05-11-2002 at 08:57 AM.
just some guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 09:22 PM   #4
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Jim has talked about this in the past. If you have any programs running in the background they can interrupt the aquarium because screen savers have about the lowest priority as far as programs go. In addition, I know that Windows ME has caused some problems for other people in the past. It isn't the most stable platform to run. Hopefully in the future a workaround for this will be implemented.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 09:30 AM   #5
handimannbob
what's up doc ?

Angry problem with version 1.1

hi, some guy,
i have me too. if you disable exit on mouse the saver will drop down to the tool bar whenever it is knocked off.
hope this helps,
bob
bob
handimannbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 10:21 AM   #6
some guy
Registered

Thanks all for your responses.

Tiny Turtle: Good suggestion, but it doesn't work in this case. I hadn't known that if you press tab while pressing alt it brings up all the current programs, cool trick. For some reason, the aquarium disables that function, just like it does Control + Alt + Delete. The only time Alt + Tab won't work is after the aquarium gets interrupted.

Just some guy: actually, you should take it as a compliment...it's named after you...but let's not get emotional or anything.

Jav 400: I think that's the real problem...Windows ME. I have a few other bizarre problems, due to the OS. I guess the best solution is just don't use Windows ME.

handimannbob: Actually, I already disabled exit on mouse, I like it that way better.

Thanks again! I need to go and restart my computer now...those bubbles are getting on my nerves.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:16 AM   #7
handimannbob
what's up doc ?

some guy,
just curious,are you saying when mouse disabled ss doesn't get knocked down to task bar right away ? also, i use ss,w or reg. mostly in windowed mode and it never gets knocked off. in windowed mode i never use sound or bubbles, it's a little too distracting when doing other things, so don't know about snd.
later,
bob
handimannbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 03:22 PM   #8
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

My "cool trick" was around back when Windows 3.1 ruled the desktops (OK, maybe not ruled – but you get the idea...)

/Tiny Anachronism
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 10:05 AM   #9
HellBound
Registered

Yes windows Me is very unstable os
You can try holding down ctrl then press Esc then try ctrl+alt+del
That might posibly work. Also another thing to try is alt F4.
Hope this helps.Also try opening more programs then try ctrl alt del some times when opening other programs ctrl alt del gets enabled again.
HellBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 03:28 PM   #10
Mountainmaster
Liopleurodon

If you want the ctrl+alt+del and other task keys back you can use this small tool that I made.
I posted it before on this forum but the thread in question was deleted.
Now let's see if this attachment thingy works...
Attached Files
File Type: zip keys.zip (8.6 KB, 35 views)
Mountainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 11:27 AM   #11
some guy
Registered

Okay, the problem is pretty much solved. Ctrl + Esc does not work. But Alt + F4 seems to work consistently well. I just press cancel on the shutdown and SereneScreen suddenly pops up on the task bar where it was not before.

The keys.zip file is also a good solution. It seems better to just hit revive now whenever the problem is happening instead of using the timer everytime you leave the computer. By the way, I downloaded the file 13 times since downloading a file is the easiest way to make this problem occur.

Thanks a lot; problem solved.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive