Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 02-23-2002, 03:39 AM   #1
hpman77
Blue Angel

Exclamation Similar fish allowing for retexturing?

I think the gist of this thread is:

Are there other fish out there that are close enough in physical dimensions and shape to existing modeled fish in the Aquarium that new textures could be put on to provide new species?

Obviously the highest level of quality would be maintained, the question is, Jim have you ever considered burning out 3-4 fish in a couple of weeks this way? You can send the negative e-mail about "taking the easy way out" to me. I'll shred it for you.

I know you had mentioned that you might release a couple fish while you are deep in production on the 3D background as break for yourself and to reduce the hatemail for a couple of days.

Back to your regularly scheduled post...

Ok, we all know there's no way for the user to skin a fish...

but Jim can skin them, right?

I bet there are a lot of fishes that look exactly the same, but with different colors.
I mean the body shape is the same, and the only change is their skin.

So I guess it would be fairly easy for Jim to prepare a texture and then copy all the mesh info and change the name of the fish.

It would not take him too much time, and we could get more fishes from time to time.

What do you think, Jim? What about more species of lionfish? it would be AWESOME but of course, I would be almost as happy with more regular fishes

I bet Jim already though about this, but just in case... Another thread about skinning (it's a suggestion for Jim, don't close this please!)
.:: AMD Athlon XP 1700+ :: 512MB SDRAM :: Windows XP SP1 :: shappire ATI radeon 9600 PRO :: Soundblaster Live Player 5.1 :: Directx 9.0 :: (Always latest drivers for everything) ::.

Last edited by feldon34; 02-23-2002 at 06:17 AM.
hpman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 03:49 AM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

In order to be less controversial, may I suggest changing the content of the topic to something like "Fish that would be easy to add because they are physically similar"?

Maybe I am not grasping your idea.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 04:53 AM   #3
hpman77
Blue Angel

change it, morgan. the topic is just what I though would condense the idea of the message, but that one fits fine too
.:: AMD Athlon XP 1700+ :: 512MB SDRAM :: Windows XP SP1 :: shappire ATI radeon 9600 PRO :: Soundblaster Live Player 5.1 :: Directx 9.0 :: (Always latest drivers for everything) ::.
hpman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 05:32 AM   #4
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

I bet Jim already though about this, but just in case...
Me too, Helpman...
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 11:00 AM   #5
Jim Sachs
Developer

That's pretty much how I created all the other fish, except for the Lionfish. Start with an a basic model, modify it to the shape of a different fish, apply a new texture, and change the program to accept it. If I have a good clear texture to start with, this is one long day's work. I did 20 of them that way, then the fans said "OK, that's enough fish. Work on the 3D background now."
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 01:10 PM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Maybe another informal poll on serenescreen.com.

It's easy to aggregate a few hundred e-mails about wanting things other than fish into thinking "most people want other things."
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive