Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium
Notices

Old 03-09-2003, 03:14 AM   #1
fubarhq
Registered

Wink Treasure Chest? Really?

Jim,

Just my two cents. I saw in one of the posts that you were planning on adding a treasure chest that would open and release bubbles. My opinion is that, most "serious" fishtank owner's are against those bubbles toys, such as the treasure chest, scuba diver, dragons, what have you and that they are eye-sores to any well "aqua-scaped" tank. I would rather you have bubbles just emanate from "nowhere" as an air-wand would do, rather than subject us to the treasure chest syndrome. Seriously, you did a fantasic job with the salt tank but unless you're setting up a tank for your 7 yr. old, toys have no proper place in a respectable tank. Anyway, my two cents. Sorry if I came across a bit harsh, just pretty anti-bubble toy these days.

Love your stuff. Maybe when you toggle off bubbles, the treasure chest goes with it? Don't want to complain without a solution.

Thx again.
Dave
Dave
"no one is worthless, you can always be used as a bad example."
fubarhq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 06:03 AM   #2
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Jim Sachs
****WARNING!*****SPOILER!!!****

Anyone interested in seeing the basic layout of the Freshwater Tank can take a look at:
http://www.fish-byte.com/images/freshwater1.jpg

There will be changes, but this is the real tank I have set up on my desk. The shot shows the left 2/3 of the tank -- the widescreen would show more.
I would say that you will probably be able to toggle the treasure chest on and off.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 06:43 AM   #3
IXNAY
Green Frog

Who like it can switch it on and who doesn't like it switches it off.
So easy
IXNAY

*dreaming of the serene terrarium*

- My Private Homepage -
IXNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 12:23 PM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

This has been covered many times, but here it is again:

You will be able to turn the treasure chest on and off in Settings. When off, it will be replaced by a rock. I doubt if many people will do this, because it's the best thing in the tank.

I got a great number of requests to add things like this to the saltwater tank, and I always said no because the AVERAGE reef tank does not have them. There are also purists on the freshwater side, but the AVERAGE freshwater tank does have at least one item like this. Being able to turn it off should please everyone.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 01:54 PM   #5
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Things like this in a saltwater tank are a definate no no. The salt clogs them up quick, and they can severly goof up your water if they have any metal in them at all.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:07 AM   #6
fubarhq
Registered

Thumbs Down Cool

Hey Jim,

Sorry it took me a day or two to get back to the thread. A Toggle function would be great. Thx again for the details.

Appreciate it,
Your friendly freshwater (purist) aquarist
Dave
Dave
"no one is worthless, you can always be used as a bad example."
fubarhq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 02:04 AM   #7
feldon34
Forum Administrator

fubar, we'd love snapshots of any tanks you have operated in the past or fish you'd like to see added.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 09:02 AM   #8
IXNAY
Green Frog

yeah, please show us pics
IXNAY

- My Private Homepage -
Old 03-11-2003, 10:41 AM   #9
Wizwad
Only me...

I love that here people can come up with silly ideas as well as the serious stuff. Someone posted the suggestion that special days prompt changes in the treasure chest - presents spilling out in place of bubbles at Christmas, painted eggs at Easter, stuff like that. I know it's never going to happen (after all, what *average* treasure chest does that?) but just the idea delights me.

Fireworks on July 4th.
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 10:59 AM   #10
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

Country-specific fireworks, please. ;-)
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 11:06 AM   #11
IXNAY
Green Frog

Haha
replacement for the treasure chest with liberty statue on july forth with fireworks coming out of {unpatriotic places}
IXNAY

- My Private Homepage -

Last edited by feldon34; 03-11-2003 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:14 AM   #12
Liath
Still here in spirit

Hey, easy there IXNAY. You kiss your mother with that mouth?
Liath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 11:21 AM   #13
IXNAY
Green Frog

Hehe, that was just fun don't want to sound rude or something like that I think I have the silliest suggestion of all here
IXNAY

- My Private Homepage -
Old 03-11-2003, 11:53 AM   #14
bratboy
Here Fishy Fishy!

I always wanted to do a miniture of part of modern city sunken hehe. (admittedly twisted)
bratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 04:14 PM   #15
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Lol, Ix. – I think that was very elegantly formulated

/Tiny Laughter
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 04:31 PM   #16
Liath
Still here in spirit

lol ....I think that may have been a bit of Morgan's poetry
Liath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 04:39 PM   #17
feldon34
Forum Administrator

God, this forum is so fast now, I don't know what to do with myself.

Ah yes, the Wishlist...
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 03-12-2003, 05:48 PM   #18
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

Damn fast, absolutely!!! What the hell have you guys done?

Great!
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 06:36 PM   #19
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Yellow Tang,

WE HAVE MOVED We have moved to a new web host with much more space allowed and higher bandwidth allowances also, ( especially since we were about 5x over our limit where we were ).
Old 03-12-2003, 08:00 PM   #20
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Normal webhosting, also called "virtual" or "shared" runs about $8~25 a month. This type of hosting means that your website is a folder on a server computer. You are sharing the CPU and memory with every other website running from that server.

If the server gets overloaded then it is the hosting company's responsibility to spread out the accounts on it to other servers to deal with the problem, or ask for more money.

Also, 1 person can't install their own versions of the software. Everyone uses the same web server, the same scripting, etc. If someone wants to run a different/new version of any of this software, the company must upgrade the whole server since it affects everyone.

Server Load is a number that tells you how many programs are trying to run that cannot find any free CPU time to do their business. This means that the server's CPU is at 100% capacity and there are still more unfulfilled requests coming in. Visitors to your website might see nothing for 10, 20, 30 or more seconds. Server Load should very rarely be higher than 2~3, with an acceptable peak of 5 maybe a few times a month.

Well, we've been seeing typical Server Loads of 3~5, peaking each day at 5~18 and occasionally reaching 17~19 when things were really swamped.

So, what to do? Well, we could try another of these shared hosting deals. But, it turns out, we were beyond the recommended hardware requirements of most of those. When you are getting more than 1,200 unique visits and serving up 1 GB of traffic a day, shared hosting is a poor choice.

For a long time, there was a massive gap between the $25 plans and the next highest level, called dedicated hosting. Dedicated hosting is literally having 1 whole PC in a closet at the hosting company reserved for your website/domain and nobody else's. SereneScreen/Prolific has at least 3 PCs.

Dedicated hosting is also $120/month for the entry-level systems!

So I investigated many options and settled upon something called Virtual Private Server.

It takes a Dedicated Server and splits it up into 10-20 walled-off 'virtual servers'. Instead of a free-for-all like shared hosting, each customer on VPS is given an exact percentage of the CPU(s), an exact amount of RAM, and an exact amount of bandwidth they can use. Nobody can crowd other people out, and you know exactly when you need to upgrade to a more expensive service.

So far, I'm impressed.

Bandwidth was one of a hundred reasons I was happy to get away from Web66.

Last edited by feldon34; 03-12-2003 at 09:52 PM.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Future: Freshwater Aquarium