Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 06-13-2002, 12:58 PM   #1
odatkid
Registered

Cool nv4_disp.dll Error

When I try to use screensaver, it works for about ten seconds and then I get a Blue Screen indicating nv4_disp.dll error and have to shut down. I have a Nvidia Vanta/Vanta LT display adapter with AMD Athlon (700) with 3DNow! I did go to Nvidia's site and download the latest drivers, but the same thing happens. My OS is XP Pro. Anyone have any good ideas?

Thanks......Tom
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder.
odatkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 01:50 PM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I would suggest trying the drivers at my website for the TnT Riva:

https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/help.html
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 03:49 PM   #3
odatkid
Registered

Can't install driver

Hi Morgan,
I downloaded the driver for the TNT Riva for windows 2000 as you suggested, but I can't figure out how to install it on XP Pro.
Did I understand you correctly that this is the right driver? If so, can you tell me how to install it? I'm not real proficient with this kind of thing, so if you could simplify it for me, it would be appreciated.
Thanks........Tom
Old 06-13-2002, 04:33 PM   #4
odatkid
Registered

New Drivers???

Just ran across an article about new Nvidia divers. Does this apply here?

"NVIDIA WHQL Detonator Drivers v29.42"

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=windows9x
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=windows2000
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=windowsnt

"That just about says it all. This new version brings some improvements in acceleration for the GeForce4 and Quadro4 cards, support for the GeForce4 Ti 4200 and optimizations in the DirectX 8.1 and OpenGL 1.3 code. Just be sure you download the correct version for your particular operating system. "

I downloaded the windowsnt version but won't try to install it until I get your input.

Thanks again.........Tom
Old 06-13-2002, 04:39 PM   #5
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Yeah, it's not the most automatic in the world.

Ok, download and run the file.

Tell it so save the files in c:\nv647 or somewhere convenient that you will be able to remember. You could put it in a folder on your desktop if you wish.

Ok, it will extract 14 files. Unfortunately, there is no installer to speak of.

So now, you right-click on the Desktop and choose Properties. This brings up Display Properties.

Click the Settings tab at the top.

Click the Advanced... button near the bottom.

Click the Adapter tab at the top.

Click the Properties button near the top center under Adapter Type.

Click the Driver tab at the top of the window that appears.

Click the Update Driver button.

Click Next >.

Click Next >.

Choose Specify a location.

In the window that appears, type in the name of the folder you saved the drivers to, such as c:\nv647 or the folder on your Desktop.

Click OK.

After that window goes away, click [/b]Next >[/b].

It should indicate that a driver has been found. It may say something like "A more suitable driver for your hardware is already installed." Then you have to override it and tell it you want to put the 6.47 driver.

Once you get it to install the 6.47 driver, you may be prompted several times with messages like:

The file you are trying to copy, nv4_disp.dll, is older than the one already installed. Do you want to keep the newer file?

You will want to answer NO.

The whole purpose of this exercise is to revert back to a more stable, compatible driver instead of the new 23.83 driver at nVidia.com.

If you have further questions, please feel free to drop by the Chatroom. If I am around to help you, I can walk you through this process further.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell

Last edited by feldon34; 06-13-2002 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-13-2002, 04:42 PM   #6
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Just ran across an article about new Nvidia divers. Does this apply here?

"NVIDIA WHQL Detonator Drivers v29.42"

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=windows9x
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=windows2000
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=windowsnt

"That just about says it all. This new version brings some improvements in acceleration for the GeForce4 and Quadro4 cards, support for the GeForce4 Ti 4200 and optimizations in the DirectX 8.1 and OpenGL 1.3 code. Just be sure you download the correct version for your particular operating system. "

I downloaded the windowsnt version but won't try to install it until I get your input.
Your card, the nVidia TnT Vanta, was created and marketed in 1998. The odds that this new driver has any improved compatibility with your card are extremely unlikely.

No matter how many times nVidia gloats about how cool their "unified" drivers are, the idea of having a single set of drivers for 6 generations of drastically different chipsets is ludicrous. So far, the evidence on this forum and others have demonstrated that their "one driver" experiment is not working.

I would say the 29.xx drivers are probably excellent--if you have a GeForce 2 GTS, GeForce 3, or GeForce 4. These are all cards created in the last 2 years. But I can't recommend these brand new drivers for any of the TnT series cards.

P.S. Even though Windows 2000 and XP are built on Windows NT, the NT driver will only work on Windows NT 4.0. XP is basically Windows 2000 version 3 with some bits of ME and Mac OS X.

Last edited by feldon34; 06-13-2002 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:21 PM   #7
odatkid
Registered

Hi Morgan,
For some reason windows will not look in the folder I specified, it just re-installs what it thinks is the best driver. Then I rolled it back to the old (non- xp approved) creative driver, it didn't want to do that, but I rolled it back anyway, and the aquarium went a lot longer before freezing, about 90 seconds, as opposed to 10-15 secs max with the "new" and " XP approved" driver.
The bottom line is I can't get this "wizard" to even check the folder with the driver you are recommending. There must be a solution. What do you think? Is there another way to install it? There's an option in this "wizard" for uninstalling the driver- warning it's only for advanced users. Do you think this is something I want to do?
Thanks again for your help..............Tom
Old 06-13-2002, 08:38 PM   #8
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Reason #20481024 why I hate XP.

It tries to outthink you.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:55 PM   #9
odatkid
Registered

Cool What Now?

Hi Morgan,
Where do I go from here? Thanks to your tip about XP being a hybrid of 2000 and not NT, I went back to that site and downloaded latest NVidia drivers for XP/2000, and installed them to see what would happen. SereneScreen still freezes, and very quickly now. However, I'm able to change the refresh rate from the XP default 60 to 85. There are some open GL setings that I'm not familiar with and thought perhaps they could be the tweaks I'm looking for. Any thoughts?
If not, could you recommend where I might look for a solution? The only thing that this affects for me, (I'm not a gamer,) is the Aquarium. It's so beautiful, I'd hate to have to give up on it. Please help.
Thanks again...............Tom
Old 06-14-2002, 03:12 PM   #10
feldon34
Forum Administrator

It's still a matter of forcing XP to accept this older 2000|XP driver.
Old 06-14-2002, 03:43 PM   #11
odatkid
Registered

Any ideas how?

Tom
Old 06-14-2002, 09:10 PM   #12
flipper
Registered

you might try the "install from a list or specific location (advanced)" option to force the selection onto xp -

settings - advanced - adapter - properties - driver - update driver - install from a list or specific location (advanced) - next - don't search. i will choose... - next - have disk - browse - find and select .inf file - open - ok - next - finish - close - yes to restart

Last edited by flipper; 06-14-2002 at 09:13 PM.
flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 11:55 AM   #13
odatkid
Registered

Cool Thanks Flipper

Flipper,
Thank you for your help. I was able to install the driver that Morgan suggested, however my computer still freezes when Aquarium starts. Anybody have an idea of what I can do to get this work properly? There must be an answer.
Thanks again...........Tom
Old 06-15-2002, 08:45 PM   #14
oden1usa
Registered

Your running an older video card that is 16meg at best. XP is notorious for not working with older hardware, such as your video card. XP requires at least 128megs of system memory to run well also. Your best bet, if an older driver won't work with xp , is to get a new video card. Since your not a gamer you won't have to spend much to get a 32 or 64 meg card that works better with XP and better performance with your screen saver
oden1usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 09:13 PM   #15
odatkid
Registered

Thumbs Down Thanks Oden

I appreciate your reply. I was afraid of that, but it makes sense. My video card is 16 meg as you guessed. I will upgrade it when I can. More research to do, never purchased a new video card. Any suggestions?
I did upgrade my RAM to 384m before installing XP so that's not an issue.
Thank you all for your help. I'm very impressd with this forum. Keep it up!..........Tom
Old 06-17-2002, 10:35 AM   #16
SpyCatcher
Registered

Here is how you solve your problem I have had the same in the past.

1. uninstall your current nVidia drivers "control pannel, add/remove"
2. restart your computer
3. When your OS tells you it has detected new hardware "cancel the process"
4. Is you are using self extracting drivers go head and install now, if not go through "device manager, dispaly adapters, propterties, update driver, install for a advance location,dont search, have disk,browse, select folder, hightlight nv4_disp.dll twice, select your video card, install.
5. reboot computer
6. reinstall display drivers if you use any.
7. reboot even if your OS does not ask.
8. configure your dirvers for best preformance.

Everytime you change display drivers this is how it should be done. If you install over nVidia drivers eventually it will corput the drivers.

Hope this helps
SpyCatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 03:59 PM   #17
odatkid
Registered

Smile Thank You

Hi Spycatcher,

Thanks for the info.................Tom
Old 06-19-2002, 12:53 PM   #18
uberZone
Registered

Thumbs Up Solution

I had the exact same problem. Only my Blue Screen Of Death and/or screen lockup happened on any application that made DirectX calls. This is not a video driver issue or a Windows XP issue, this problem has to do with the way your AGP slot on your mother board relays information to your video card. Based on your initial system specs (AMD) all you need to do is install the latest VIA Chipset 4in1 drivers from www.viatech.com (the site is extremely slow), reboot your system and enjoy.

uberZone
uberZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 05:48 PM   #19
odatkid
Registered

Thumbs Down I'll give it a try

Thanks Uber,
I am trying Viatech (they ARE slow) as you said, and I'll let you know how it worked out for me. I appreciate your help.

Cheers..........Tom
Old 06-19-2002, 06:46 PM   #20
feldon34
Forum Administrator

www.viaarena.com loads very fast and has the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers.

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2
(VIA 4-in-1)
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive